RJ Macready

To Rocket & the “Hardcore” crowd

incoming barrage of rocket quotes with sources:

I've read those previously' date=' and just re-read them again for clarification on certain issues. Thanks for the links, no sarcasm for once. :)

That being said -- My chief concern with the quotes are... Well... I in no means say this with any ill regard towards Rocket; but I think he's a bit naive in what he's saying there. Or at least, he should update the statements now, in regards to BIS' interest in Dayz, and his subsequent appointment to Dayz as his project (was currently Arma3?). That means this may be, in thought, an experiment and an anti-game (which I don't actually disagree with, btw.), but it is in reality a venture by a video game company, into the viability of making this a commercial project. I stress the commercial part of the deal.

If this becomes a commercial project in the future, the course for Dayz could change. And if you're not ready for it, it could change in a dramatic fashion. Because of that, what I am suggesting, and will continue suggest in the near-future, are ideas to help develop that in a more sound and unobtrusive manner for players of all inclinations.

I would like to see a friendly and seamless transition from Dayz as a niche mod, to a niche commercially viable project.

[/quote']

in the interest of fairness, he very well may have changed his philosophy. i'm slowly trying to recompile a list of quotes and links that was here before the forum rollback. there was a thread titled "rocket said" that had these, and it as well as the above quotes convinced me to buy the game knowing that it would be an exercise in frustration. anyways, as of right now, i am working through all his listed posts and trying to find relevant ones (that aren't about bugs that have been fixed, etc) and have many many more pages to go. it'll probably be a while before i'm done.

i just posted these because there's been a lot of talk about if this a game or a simulator, if it's a game it should be fun not hard, etc. this was the initial philosophy that generated the explosion in interest with zero advertising or coverage by the gaming industry. as i said, if i have misrepresented rocket's current design vision and goals, i sincerely apologize, because it is likely to have changed as everything about the mod has expanded.

how is night time broken? it's fucking night time. you're not a fucking cat

if you're scared of the dark use NVG's, flares, flashlights, chemlights and fires.

in the interest of fairness' date=' he very well may have changed his philosophy. i'm slowly trying to recompile a list of quotes and links that was here before the forum rollback. there was a thread titled "rocket said" that had these, and it as well as the above quotes convinced me to buy the game knowing that it would be an exercise in frustration. anyways, as of right now, i am working through all his listed posts and trying to find relevant ones (that aren't about bugs that have been fixed, etc) and have many many more pages to go. it'll probably be a while before i'm done.

i just posted these because there's been a lot of talk about if this a game or a simulator, if it's a game it should be fun not hard, etc. this was the initial philosophy that generated the explosion in interest with zero advertising or coverage by the gaming industry. as i said, if i have misrepresented rocket's current design vision and goals, i sincerely apologize, because it is likely to have changed as everything about the mod has expanded.

[/quote']

I would be really interested in checking out the further quotes you dig up in regards to his design plans and the future, and I appreciate the effort.

how is night time broken? it's fucking night time. you're not a fucking cat

if you're scared of the dark use NVG's' date=' flares, flashlights, chemlights and fires.

[/quote']

Quoted for hilarity.

Hate to say this guy's but Zombie mod's for Arma have been around for ages so Dayz is not an original idea as some people are saying' date=' all that's different is a bunch of spawning script's for item's have been added, and some pretty UI on the right.

A few of us have been scripting for Arma since Op Flash point, and wish we put all these script's together... :)

Please no more this is an original idea... :)

[/quote']

It's not the zombies in an ArmA world that makes it original, it's the shake-everything-up design ethos behind it.

I swear the majority of the posts on this thread didn't even try to comprehend the entirety of the first post. He's commenting on the people that try to defend the mechanics like the 100% pitch black night, unreasonable leg breaks, etc. by just saying adapt to it. There's no adapting to breaking your legs from crawling over a single stair. No normal person would expect this to happen. There's no adapting to a zombie running through a wall, hitting you once, and breaking your leg before you even know he's behind you. There's no adapting to stepping off that 3 foot ledge and breaking your raw spaghetti legs. THIS is what the OP is trying to make a point about. These are things that need to be fixed and most likely will be in the future. He's just asking for the "hardcore" crowd to stop defending these things so adamantly.

On the topic of night, yes, there's ways to see at night, but they're all extremely risky, and frankly, you should still be able to bloody tell if that's a tree or a house you're running into. Is it worth seeing better with a flare, or are you better off slowly moving and watching for obstacles 10 feet in front of you? It would be much more of an interesting dichotomy if the second choice was actually an option. No reasonable person is asking for max gamma visibility back. We just want to be able to tell if we just bumped into a fence or a damn cow.

The point is, the game is still in testing, and people make threads saying what they find wrong with it. It doesn't make their opinion any less valid than yours, so just because you've been playing for two months to their two weeks doesn't make you superior. Everybody seems to take suggestions to the extreme. Night too dark? Clearly they want permanent daylight and never want to have to choose to use a flare or flashlight.

We all want a difficult game, and yes, some suggestions are silly and would take away from the core experience, but that doesn't give anybody the right to degrade the post outside of civilized discussion. Sure, they may have made a repeat post, but it doesn't mean you have to personally attack them. It's not hard to tell somebody the problems with their post/idea without putting on the dunce cap and hopping onto your high horse, saying they're just bad at the game or stupid. If you don't like a repeat post, ignore it and let it get buried. Let the mods handle it. There's plenty of options. Being rude just drives away new players, and whether you like it or not, new players make games thrive.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm just sick of seeing communities go to hell because of stupid crap like this. I haven't even been here long, and I've even noticed things getting worse on these forums in such a short time. Reading comprehension and civility in discussions are your best friends in making a game and community better for everyone.

I think the problem with night time is that it's so easy to use a gamma cheat if there's any moonlight. All you do is turn your gamma up, and all of the sudden you get the effect of having NVG, without having to find them. With no moon at all, you can't use the gamma trick because there is NO light at all to be "turned up" with gamma. I honestly believe this is the only reason that night time is so dark right now. Until they figure out a solution to the gamma cheat, I imagine the night time will stay dark.

As for realism, we should make the following changes to make the game more realistic:

--Running causes much more hunger/thirst

--Depending on how many calories you eat / burn by running, you will have to poop (and if you don't bury your poop, you lose humanity), also goes for pee

--Sometimes you can't get a song out of your head, so your character starts humming it to themselves

--You won't be able to run at full speed with a giant backpack for more than a couple minutes... you'll have to slow down to a quick or medium jog

--You can shoot yourself in the foot if you aren't careful

--Some ammo just doesn't work, and jams up your gun

--Every time you fire your gun, your hearing gets a little worse for a while, unless you find proper ear protection (but then you can't hear other stuff very easily while wearing it). Anyone who has ever gone shooting and forgot to put their ear plugs in can attest to the dangers of close proximity firearm sounds.

--If you break your leg, it will remain broken until you receive medical attention (meaning a doctor with a sanitized surgery area/tools, which you will never find), or alternatively you can use crutches to meander about the countryside until a zombie finds you. Sorry, it's realistic!

--Loot doesn't respawn

Obviously nobody wants actual "realism" in this game. This is just an argument over "how MUCH realism do we want"

I think rocket is doing a good job so far with trying to balance the wants of super-hardcore vs casual players. Rocket experiments with different things, and lets people try them out for a few days or a week, to see how they pan out. He wants it to be insanely difficult but he doesn't want it to be stupid. You can see that in the way he decided to give everyone a flashlight at the same time he made the night super dark.

It's not the zombies in an ArmA world that makes it original' date=' it's the shake-everything-up design ethos behind it.

[/quote']

The problem is, nothing has been "shaken up"

We're still not thinking, we're still not experiencing emotions, and we're certainly not experiencing fear. All I'm experiencing is general pissed off from a complete LACK of these things. DayZ has a lot of design and idea, but no common sense. There's nothing TO shake up simply because it's a first person shooter, the most one-dimensional of all genres in video games. There has never been a designated FPS that did more than walk around, fire gun. No, Half Life was still shooting, and Portal is a puzzle game. I've looked for a redeeming value in the FPS genre for a long time, and suddenly rocket tries something new with DayZ.

The problem is, no matter how many times he turns things on its head, or tries to look at it from a different perspective, people still see the bland, boring, generic FPS system of shooting gallery and headset yelling. You can't "mix" that up, because that requires FORCING people to not shoot. Say what you will, but we've already proven that the community and DayZ players cannot look at someone as anything more than a moving loot chest. The only difference is that sometimes there are clans, right?

The mere fact that clans operate over Teamspeak shows that DayZ can't be more complex than a raid in Azeroth. It's all mechanical and arbitrary. Hell, nighttime is an arbitrary concept because without NVGs you're just food for NVG users. There's no real option there. You can't hide from people without them, and flares do jack all, believe me I've been on both ends of that. Likewise, there's no option to be a survivor because then you're just a walking pile of loot waiting to be stopped by someone TOTALLY free of any threat of zombies.

If rocket has proven anything, it's shown why gamers can't have nice things. We can't have good games because they are constantly abused and neglected as "just another game" and we cannot have a working experience without some form of common sense based balancing.

--Running causes much more hunger/thirst

i believe your hunger and thirst do deplete more rapidly when running already.

We all want a difficult game' date=' and yes, some suggestions are silly and would take away from the core experience, but that doesn't give anybody the right to degrade the post outside of civilized discussion. Sure, they may have made a repeat post, but it doesn't mean you have to personally attack them. It's not hard to tell somebody the problems with their post/idea without putting on the dunce cap and hopping onto your high horse, saying they're just bad at the game or stupid. If you don't like a repeat post, ignore it and let it get buried. Let the mods handle it. There's plenty of options. Being rude just drives away new players, and whether you like it or not, new players make games thrive.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm just sick of seeing communities go to hell because of stupid crap like this. I haven't even been here long, and I've even noticed things getting worse on these forums in such a short time. Reading comprehension and civility in discussions are your best friends in making a game and community better for everyone.

[/quote']

this sentiment is fantastic and i agree 100%, but i fear it won't propagate. for the record though, i've not heard any hardcore/realism advocates defend the leg breaking ladder glitches and being able to get hit through walls or any other real engine issues. that's just my experience though, i could be wrong and have missed it.

By the time you've read your 1' date='368th thread about how the game simply [i']needs some arbitrary, artifical punishment for engaging in PvP.

It does need that.

kthnx

Most of what z64dan say's is already in the ACE mod :)

That... sounds awful. But to each his own, I guess.

Woah I just thought of a great idea... Kind like a LARPing experience:

DayZ: The LARP

Half the players are survivors, searching a wilderness area for food (they can't bring any into the game) and tents, and weapons (fake obviously). And half the people are zombies... And you have to survive for the whole weekend or something. WOULD BE FUN, AND VERY REALISTIC!

I just gotta bring up this thing about night being broken.

It is not.

If the skies are clear and the moon is out, you can see very well when in fields and towns, as long as the moonlight hits the ground. However if the moon is covered up you will naturally have a tiny amount of light coming in resulting in a rather completely dark area.

Now I cant use my own country or home as an example here, because there is a city/neighbourhood street everywhere.

But I remember on my trip to Australia, I took a trip from Byron Bay and out to a Farm to chill out with some people that I met within town. I stayed there the whole night. There are two things I remember in particular.

1. I could see a whole shit ton of stars in the sky.

2. Due to the only light source being the house I was in and the light from the sky (The farm was faaaar away from anywhere else.), I could basically not see a single thing beyond 5-10 meters from the farm.

I like to believe I have a good night vision, but I could honestly not see shit no matter how long I was out in the dark.

If the light from the cities of Chernarus were on, we could probably see better in the dark, but the fact of the matter is that the power of chernarus is gone. There is no light pollution making the dark comforting and safe. This is how it looks when there are no light sources at fucking all.

the “hardcore” crowd' date=' tone it down a bit please[/quote']

I hate to be "that guy" but you've been on the forums for less than two hours.

Spend a month here. By the time you've read your 1,368th thread about how the game simply needs some arbitrary, artifical punishment for engaging in PvP or a way to "identify targets" or a "skill tree" or PvE servers or "private RP servers" or kill cameras or whatever other asinine shit gets trotted out here every day 50 times a day by people with less than 5 posts and probably 20 hours in game complaining about how it's too this or too that or too many people do x or y.

Do that, then come talk to me about toning it down. I'm fighting a war around here.

This is /thread. Why does this keep going for pages and pages?

It's not the zombies in an ArmA world that makes it original' date=' it's the shake-everything-up design ethos behind it.

[/quote']

We're still not thinking, we're still not experiencing emotions, and we're certainly not experiencing fear. All I'm experiencing is general pissed off from a complete LACK of these things. DayZ has a lot of design and idea, but no common sense. There's nothing TO shake up simply because it's a first person shooter, the most one-dimensional of all genres in video games. There has never been a designated FPS that did more than walk around, fire gun. No, Half Life was still shooting, and Portal is a puzzle game. I've looked for a redeeming value in the FPS genre for a long time, and suddenly rocket tries something new with DayZ.

The problem is, no matter how many times he turns things on its head, or tries to look at it from a different perspective, people still see the bland, boring, generic FPS system of shooting gallery and headset yelling. You can't "mix" that up, because that requires FORCING people to not shoot. Say what you will, but we've already proven that the community and DayZ players cannot look at someone as anything more than a moving loot chest. The only difference is that sometimes there are clans, right?

The mere fact that clans operate over Teamspeak shows that DayZ can't be more complex than a raid in Azeroth. It's all mechanical and arbitrary. Hell, nighttime is an arbitrary concept because without NVGs you're just food for NVG users. There's no real option there. You can't hide from people without them, and flares do jack all, believe me I've been on both ends of that. Likewise, there's no option to be a survivor because then you're just a walking pile of loot waiting to be stopped by someone TOTALLY free of any threat of zombies.

If rocket has proven anything, it's shown why gamers can't have nice things. We can't have good games because they are constantly abused and neglected as "just another game" and we cannot have a working experience without some form of common sense based balancing.

I've been playing for what, 7 weeks now, and in all that time I've only killed one other player and he shot at me first. I'm a total survivor, friendly to those who are friendly and a rapidly moving target to those who aren't. It is *totally* possible to play this as a survivor.

And it's not just me, I regularly meet others out in the hills and forest, (and even in the cities when things get desperate for me to go to them) who don't see others as walking loot chests. Sometimes it results in an uncomfortable, paranoid stand off with both of us backing off, and sometimes in a huddle, swapping loot and sharing news of the local area. I love it for this, these encounters are some of the most intense gaming experiences I've ever had.

In terms of Rocket's desire to have DayZ elicit emotional responses, he's hit the nail bang on the head with these kinds of things. You only need to read some of the stories that get posted here and elsewhere to know just how profound an experience a lot of players are having in the game. You simply don't get those kinds of responses in CoD or WoW or whatever.

Sure, I sometimes get shot out of the blue but I reckon I've been killed by zombies more often than players, and that's usually after a process of attrition over days.

Personally, I don't see the need for balancing the FPS side of things because I've balanced my own place in it. Which is usually very far from where it happens ;) And the fact that Rocket isn't designing with balance in mind, and instead seeing how the chips fall, is exactly where he's shaking things up.

Most games start with a set of features and balances which have never been questioned. They've been with online RPGish games since the dawn of time. Nobody has ever set out to test those assumed truths and seen how a game would work.

One thought that occurred to me while I was reading your post and replying to it, is that our experiences in DayZ probably stem from how we approach it. If you approach it like an FPS then it's gonna play that way and it's not going to play as well as a dedicated FPS. Me, I approach like the MMO I've been dying for since forever. Massive open world, deeply immersive, persistent, no abstract progression, no abstract systems, just a simulated world full of zombies and players who are going to do whatever they want.

It's even got pushes (needing to eat and drink) as well as pulls (wanting better equipment), which is pretty much unique in the whole of gaming.

I dunno, maybe I'm doing it all wrong. A lot of the stuff that's regularly said on these forums just doesn't match my experience in the game at all.

Yes well said to Zed, at the start, and Vivorgksmorg on page 9, TLDR the inbetween pages. I summerise the two by :"Quite turning this game into something it's not, because your destroying another last bastion of hope" and "THIS IS WHY WE CANT HAVE NICE THINGS"

Gibbonici makes alot of good points, including stop thinking of this as a game, and more of a sandbox.

Yes well said to Zed' date=' at the start, and Vivorgksmorg on page 9, TLDR the inbetween pages. I summerise the two by :"Quite turning this game into something it's not, because your destroying another last bastion of hope" and "THIS IS WHY WE CANT HAVE NICE THINGS"

Gibbonici makes alot of good points, including stop thinking of this as a game, and more of a sandbox.

[/quote']

Dayz can be interpreted as the bastion of hope for many different styles of play. Alienating one style to selfishly uphold another is not the most correct answer.

[/quote']

I've been playing for what, 7 weeks now, and in all that time I've only killed one other player and he shot at me first. I'm a total survivor, friendly to those who are friendly and a rapidly moving target to those who aren't. It is *totally* possible to play this as a survivor.

And it's not just me, I regularly meet others out in the hills and forest, (and even in the cities when things get desperate for me to go to them) who don't see others as walking loot chests. Sometimes it results in an uncomfortable, paranoid stand off with both of us backing off, and sometimes in a huddle, swapping loot and sharing news of the local area. I love it for this, these encounters are some of the most intense gaming experiences I've ever had.

In terms of Rocket's desire to have DayZ elicit emotional responses, he's hit the nail bang on the head with these kinds of things. You only need to read some of the stories that get posted here and elsewhere to know just how profound an experience a lot of players are having in the game. You simply don't get those kinds of responses in CoD or WoW or whatever.

Sure, I sometimes get shot out of the blue but I reckon I've been killed by zombies more often than players, and that's usually after a process of attrition over days.

Personally, I don't see the need for balancing the FPS side of things because I've balanced my own place in it. Which is usually very far from where it happens ;) And the fact that Rocket isn't designing with balance in mind, and instead seeing how the chips fall, is exactly where he's shaking things up.

Most games start with a set of features and balances which have never been questioned. They've been with online RPGish games since the dawn of time. Nobody has ever set out to test those assumed truths and seen how a game would work.

One thought that occurred to me while I was reading your post and replying to it, is that our experiences in DayZ probably stem from how we approach it. If you approach it like an FPS then it's gonna play that way and it's not going to play as well as a dedicated FPS. Me, I approach like the MMO I've been dying for since forever. Massive open world, deeply immersive, persistent, no abstract progression, no abstract systems, just a simulated world full of zombies and players who are going to do whatever they want.

It's even got pushes (needing to eat and drink) as well as pulls (wanting better equipment), which is pretty much unique in the whole of gaming.

I dunno, maybe I'm doing it all wrong. A lot of the stuff that's regularly said on these forums just doesn't match my experience in the game at all.

to expound upon your characterization of the game, this quote seems relevant:

"Let me reiterate a very key point I keep trying to make:

You are the inhabitants of the world. I am the architect. You guys are going to decide how this world plays out. Don't compare this to other games and look for different balancing mechanics. This is an attempt at something different, it is an experiment. There is no balance, other than the balance you will put in. I will put in the features required for you to either destroy this world into mindless PVP, or create something else. Don't look to me for that balance, because I will not give you it. We started this in a particular way, we're going to finish in that way.

Some of keep looking to me to provide you a structured experience, balanced. That's not what is happening here. I'm not looking at something realistic, that isn't possible. I'm aiming for authenticity to the extent possible, but I'm realistic about what can be achieved there.

You guys keep saying I'm trying to encourage this or that with that mechanic, I'm not. I'm trying to model thought processes. The interactions are too complex to breakdown into simple mechanics so I have to focus on situations and thought processes I am trying to put into your head as you play. So I'm not doing this to support/remove PVP."

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3693&pid=34112#pid34112

it is (or was) supposed to be about what we make the world into, and that stems from how you approach the game. i think you both have good points though. my ratio of hostile player encounters to friendlies is something like 2:1 right now in 111 hours of play time.

Wall of texty goodness

I want you inside me.

...................... :s

So...I used to try and go into the mindset of an MMO, but now I am more or less treating it as an Fantasy Action RPG. It helps because I have friendlies, and most everyone else is neutral/hostile. I even pretend that, while I'm at a group checkpoint, we'll pop zombies in a far off building and have a sniper mini-game. The only problem is when my friends want to go raid Elektro for fun...not my idea of fun...NWAF? Will do, that's more of a bandit place...it FEELS like a PvP zone, but the coastline? It doesn't. So I'm more apt to stay behind and guard our base while they go.

I agree with some of this. I don't even play nights anymore, I just pretend I'm in Alaska during July.

my ratio of hostile player encounters to friendlies is something like 2:1 right now in 111 hours of play time.

That sounds about right. I guess it depends a lot on where you are and what you're doing.

Spend a month here. By the time you've read your 1,368th thread about how the game simply needs some arbitrary, artifical punishment for engaging in PvP or a way to "identify targets" or a "skill tree" or PvE servers or "private RP servers" or kill cameras or whatever other asinine shit gets trotted out here every day 50 times a day by people with less than 5 posts and probably 20 hours in game complaining about how it's too this or too that or too many people do x or y.

Do that, then come talk to me about toning it down. I'm fighting a war around here.

Zed speaks dribble

Couldn't agree more.

So, just because he registered to the forum recenty means he never ever came here ?

Maybe he was just watching the forum and didn't want to participate until he got fed up with all the whining for every modification made and made this post. Or maybe because the answer for someone trying to find a solution they don't like is "go back to COD noob", or "your tears are delicious" or "stop whining and grow some balls".

Damn, it's like a sadly too big part of the ArmaII players who were angry because it became "mainstream" and were feeling superior to those who made the mistake of discovering ArmA II along with DayZ and made it clear. Maybe you'll find an army vet who just didn't learn the existence of ArmaII when it was published and discovered and who will quickly kick your ass, or someone just wiser and able to see where the imperfections of the mod are and who is able to find a solution.

Or maybe it's gonna be a full-COD player who will or won't like it but at least has tried it, you don't know.

TL;DR: cut the elitist crap.

"Cry less, play smarter.

Or better yet; don't like it? Don't play it. "

I love how the Day Z community tears apart every single poster that brings up difficulty, whether there are valid points made or not.

No seriously, if there's one thing I dislike about this incredible mod, it would be the annoying small group of the community who just say trash like "QQ play something else" or something along those lines without any intelligible or constructive feedback as to why they oppose someone's opinion.

Please go back to 4chan and post where you belong, where one liners are actually wanted. Or do something useful and give constructive feedback as to why someone's post/idea is worthless.

I for one am loving the difficulty of this mod. Challenge brings me here and keeps me here, and no I do not want it nerfed. And no I don't mind not starting with a weapon, adds to the tension.

However, the OP makes a completely valid point about bones breaking from 2 ft falls/way too often in general, it can be seriously annoying and I think it is one of the only major problems with the game right now.

Do really well then fall through a building, break your legs and tell me you're not pissed. Or get one-hit at 10k blood and get your legs broken with no morphine (I've read you can only get bones broken only when swung at < 9k blood, but it seems to happen over 9k blood anyway).

Oh, and just because he was on the forums for 2 hours on that name doesn't mean he wasn't anonymous playing before you even were (more than likely not the case but stop being a jerk, you playing for longer than others does not make your $#@& smell any better or you're opinion any more valid than a new player. In fact, new players take up a majority of a games revenue/sales and their opinion should be considered along with the rest).