paxtonmega

Mosin Nagant Rangeing and Sniping Tutorial

Thats a whole lot of math, for you I give a bean. :beans:

Thank you sir but the night is cold so I want to share this kind gift with you on a warm camp fire  :beans:

nice tutorial but the mosin is just a shitty weapon to snipe above 200m... its way to inaccurate

• Like 2

nice tutorial but the mosin is just a shitty weapon to snipe above 200m... its way to inaccurate

It's easy to hit 800m head shots if you get the math right and know there is a slight left pull with the mosin ;)

• Like 3

Thank you sir but the night is cold so I want to share this kind gift with you on a warm camp fire  :beans:

My bearskin rug will keep us warm if the fire blows out.

• Like 2

It's easy to hit 800m head shots if you get the math right and know there is a slight left pull with the mosin ;)

i know but its still shit because 2 shots never hit the same .

and i rly dare that its "easy" to headshot someone in 800m with that lol. maybe if u have 20 shots on a nonmoving target

• Like 1

As seen in the video ^_^ tho these 800 meter shots really need some preparation time, in a firefight center mass does fine enough, even tho the mosin looses its damage over range. I think it was not designed to be a real sniper rifle, I see it as the new CZ550, a lot of players did good with it, others didn't :)

i know but its still shit because 2 shots never hit the same .

and i rly dare that its "easy" to headshot someone in 800m with that lol. maybe if u have 20 shots on a nonmoving target

well, I'd dare that too but actually I've seen and done so many shots on the Mod as well as the Standalone, sometimes it's both awesome and strange how accurate even the most inacurate gun becomes in a tight situation. Over 600 meters the Mosin is absolutely deadly, I killed many bandits that way that were roaming the coast as well as the airfield, everything above is playing with fire for me because even the slightest movement fails your shot hard.

As seen in the video ^_^ tho these 800 meter shots really need some preparation time, in a firefight center mass does fine enough, even tho the mosin looses its damage over range. I think it was not designed to be a real sniper rifle, I see it as the new CZ550, a lot of players did good with it, others didn't :)

Yeah I know exactly what I mean, my idea of a sniper is you need to plan for the 1 shot kill, I disagree with Lauri7x moving targets fire fight etc.. Better off with a psu scope rapid fire.

I don't want to see any higher calibre rifles in game to be honest :( Maybe better scopes with mill dots, any 1 or 2 body shot kill rifles at anything over 500m would be too OP in game.

To sit down an do the math etc you want your shot to count, sure moving targets are amazing shots but that is not true sniper game play IMO :)

• Like 1

Yeah I know exactly what I mean, my idea of a sniper is you need to plan for the 1 shot kill, I disagree with Lauri7x moving targets fire fight etc.. Better off with a psu scope rapid fire.

I don't want to see any higher calibre rifles in game to be honest :( Maybe better scopes with mill dots, any 1 or 2 body shot kill rifles at anything over 500m would be too OP in game.

To sit down an do the math etc you want your shot to count, sure moving targets are amazing shots but that is not true sniper game play IMO :)

Really hope they won't put the .50cal rifles back in the game, these were just ridiculous >.>

yeah, if I have the sniper role I am provoding overwatch and only one or two deadly shots before i have to move my butt to another position :)

Wow, you get my beans for this :beans: . Absolutely lovely tutorial.

• Like 1

Wow, you get my beans for this :beans: . Absolutely lovely tutorial.

glad to hear that :3 thanks!

maybe, it's certainly usable, you can also use the map's scale if you know your location as it gets quite detailed the more you zoom in, so you can find the distance to multiple killzones when making a snipers nest.

i was one of the people who used the cz almost religiously, it was just a different rangefinding formula (use the sidestripes and width of waist) and it worked perfectly for me, i was a little sad that SA's long range scope didn't utilize that system as i'd learnt it in anticipation for the SA lol, but that was just silly me, now i'm off to learn mildots. so upset, i ignored the m24 completely. 

i hope they put some higher end scopes in the game, with mildots and other rangefinding systems, max like 2 more kinds and super rare so that it doesn't become too easy.  

edit - great tutorial btw, those mosins will be getting a lot more deadly 

Edited by Capo
  • Like 1

There is also a thing called eye-measure, ofc it's not as accurate as calculating, but before he started talking my guess was at 350m, turns out my guess was pretty much spot on.
Great video! Sniping is really fun!  :)

Edited by Wh1spY
  • Like 1

edit - great tutorial btw, those mosins will be getting a lot more deadly 

thank you sir :)

There is also a thing called eye-measure, ofc it's not as accurate as calculating, but before he started talking my guess was at 350m, turns out my guess was pretty much spot on.

Great video! Sniping is really fun!  :)

you get my beans both for the kind comment as well as dat sick RE2 Birkin avatar!

thank you sir :)

you get my beans both for the kind comment as well as dat sick RE2 Birkin avatar!

Hehe, I animated it a couple of years ago, but not all forums support gif-files, sadly. Seems to work in my profile tho.

gt7h9ey.gif

Edited by Wh1spY
  • Like 1

Nice tutorial, but I find it more reliable to calculate the distances using a map with range markings on it, like this one (at least for long range shots).
Only works if you have very good knowledge of the map and when you know exactly where you are (and you may wanna keep a calculator handy):

Find out the horizontal and vertical distance from your location to your targets location and calculate the exact distance using the Pythagorean theorem.
Like so:

ao2x7a.jpg

• Like 2

Hehe, I animated it a couple of years ago, but not all forums support gif-files, sadly. Seems to work in my profile tho.

gt7h9ey.gif

OH MAH GAWD LAWD! :O 

Been playing so much RE lately, RE6 and Operation Raccoon City, but obviously the original 3 are my Zombie roots ^.^ speaking of which, let me fire up my PS1 and kick in the good old #2 for Birkins sake 

Nice tutorial, but I find it more reliable to calculate the distances using a map with range markings on it, like this one (at least for long range shots).

Only works if you have very good knowledge of the map and when you know exactly where you are (and you may wanna keep a calculator handy):

Find out the horizontal and vertical distance from your location to your targets location and calculate the exact distance using the Pythagorean theorem.

Like so:

ao2x7a.jpg

That is a good way as well yes, yet again this needs to be set up before engageing players and in hindsight. The mildot-less-mildot rangeing (what a term...) is more for the suprise engagement and defence in case of people interrupting the peace and quiet of a NWA raid from an unexpected location :) You can do all sorts of rangeing techniques actually, all work more or less precise, yet most involve time before engagement, or, in case you did it a lot before, could actually work pretty quick. That's some heavy math, have my beans!

I use the thickness of the scope compare with shoulder width.

when the palyer is more width than the black bar its near 200-300m  if its thinenr 400-600m

i can 1 shot 500m running zombies...

after some time you get the feeling for it, the size of the player in the scope gives you a pretty good idea of the range...

Edited by Phace

Should just try and guess the range, eventually you will know from experience how far it is.

Thumbs up to vile, that method sure works! Im 100% sure if we could use that method on the place you were, the ranges would be under 200 meters, for sure!
This is just plain stupid imo!

1st off: The ranges you are crounched from your target on both sides, are nothing near the ranges you say, it may be correct in the game, but it sure aint over 200 meters, Im sure if you crawled to the house and multiplied your body lenght, you would not get more than 200 meters, prob more like 150... So the system is waaay fucked. It looks like 200 meters, but if you zero your rifle at 500 meters you hit... thats just wrong. 200 meters should be 200 meters. 2nd: Aslo that mil system dosent work, becausimoe in every shot you take you had to make assumtions, and it dosent work, if you put 100 meters in all your shots, you would be dead on, im 100 % sure, because the zeroing in the game is not correct with the actual range! So trying to learn people a mil dot system which are right irl, isent working in the game, its all about making the right assumtion based on luck. As 100 meters zero you hit everything almost dead on under a range that is 400 meters in the game, not what the gun shows you. And dont lecture other people in things u dont know, a mil dot scope is 6 mils from every quarter; watch and learn: Here is a real mil calculation sheme: http://www.mil-dot.com/media/1001/user-guide-010.jpg  
From a guy which owns guns and actually have studied inner and outer ballistics, which in your world go under the frame "sniping". I guess u tried to learn people to hit with the mosin, and btw, your pronatiation of mosin is incorrect :P But just dont drag mils into it... Get your own system, because obviously your way of explaining mils wouldt apply if the ranges would actually be right and the zeroings would be right, then the real mil dot system would be right.

Edited by Retr092
  • Like 1

Right so uhm. This guy Retr092 says that this way is incorrect in the game and I don't want to believe him. Your post is brilliant retro, I just want to have it nice and easy instead of complicated as fuck as it seems now for me.

So how the heck do you range in dayz standalone with mosin and a long range scope ? I'm not asking about any IRL ballistics or whatever I want to know how to range in Dayz Standalone with the mosin with Long Range Scope.

Is the video tutorial right ? If so, thanks a lot and if you are a bandit just go to a corner in the airfield and tremble in fear, waiting for the bullet from my mosin.

If its not right, then .. ?