spabs2

Sov's Immersive/Realism Ideas!

Alright, I know there's hundreds of these, but it's 3am and I can't sleep. Gotta get all this on digital paper.

My ideas will either add something new and immersive to the game, or change something currently existing. Anything that I think will make the game "easier", even if more realistic, will often have a caveat that counterbalances it as to not "casualize" (as the popular term seems to be lately) the experience.

Hunger:

* Hunger renamed to satiation.

* Satiation is based out of a 150 point maximum. From 100~125, you are considered sated. From 125~150, you are overly full (and there are consequences to this, albeit slight). Under 100 is varying degrees of hunger.

* When at/above 100 satiation, blood restores at a slow rate (3 per 2 seconds (1.5/sec) -- 450 blood every 5 minutes; going from 9k back to 12k would take 33 1/3 minutes).

* From 125~150 satiation, you are hypersatiated. You become lethargic (15% slower maximum speed in each of the three stances), blood regenerates at slower rate of 4 per 3 seconds (~1.33/sec).

* The rate at which satiation is lost is constant from 125 and lower. The rate at which satiation is lost from 150 down to 125 is 33% faster.

* Under 40 satiation causes loss of strength (wobbly primary weapons, as they're typically larger/heavier longer-barreled weapons) and lethargy (15% slower maximum movement speed in each of the three stances), stomach growls can be heard by nearby players.

* Under 25 satiation causes increased thirst rate, more potent lethargy (25% reduction instead of 15%), more potent weakness (even more aim wobbles on primary weapons, lesser wobbles on sidearms), stomach growls become more frequent, player is more susceptible to disease.

* At zero, the player takes increased damage from all sources and may randomly pass out.

Food:

* We need more of it. More/new/different foods.

* Currently existing foods should be more varied in their effects. (e.g. Cooked pork should recover more/less hunger than cooked beef. A can of sardines should recover more/less than a can of beans)

* Looted food should become about 10% rarer overall as dictated by spawn chance, but have a chance to spawn in slightly more places.

Thirst:

* Thirst is on a scale of 0-100

* Thirst no longer gradually depletes blood when at 0.

* Thirst takes slightly longer to deplete.

* Below 40 thirst, symptoms of dehydration appear with increasing severity as thirst becomes depleted further.

- - - > Photosensitivity (the fluctuation in light differences becomes greater, occasional blur effect after switching from low-light to high-light environments, such as coming out of a building or forest).

- - - > Fatigue (same as hunger's lower fatigue effect).

- - - > Random bouts of dizziness/nausea (camera wobble).

- - - > Appetite loss: effectiveness of food regenerating satiation cut by (80 - (current_thirst * 2)) percent -- i.e. at 30 thirst, satiation recovery is reduced by 20% and at 15 thirst, satiation recovery is reduced by 50%. The maximum reduction is 80% at 0.

* Below 20, severe dehydration occurs, increasing the severity of the above effects (aside appetite loss, which continues on its scale), as well as the following:

- - - > Hyperthermia (core body temperature rises).

- - - > Fainting.

* At zero, the player has 5 minutes (rate is sped up by 25% if satiation is below 25 as well) to quench thirst, otherwise death will occur.

Drinks:

* Different drinks will recover differing amounts of thirst.

* More drink types added.

* Sea water should be able to be consumed with desalination tablets. Sea water consumed without them will quench half as much thirst, but increase thirst rate by 50% for 5 minutes.

* Alcohol added. Alcohol will recover a small amount of thirst at consumption, but will increase thirst rate for 3 minutes afterwards.

* Rapid consumption of alcohol will cause intoxication (weapon wobble, blurring of vision, zombies suddenly appear rather attractive).

Injury:

* Broken bones split into broken legs, broken arms, broken ribs.

- - - > Broken legs are as they currently exist.

- - - > Broken arms prevent the use of weapons which require two hands.

- - - > Broken ribs inflict a constant "pain" effect as it currently exists in game, excepting that painkillers only provide temporary relief. The player also takes 10% more damage (lower threshold for pain) from subsequent attacks. Bleeding out does not occur 10% faster, however.

* For each break, the player's maximum blood is reduced by 1000.

* All break types can be immediately corrected through morphine as broken legs currently are.

* Splints can be made by splitting firewood (requires hatchet) and a bandage. (Note: Requiring a hatchet may seem kinda "Uh, derp?", but keep in mind firewood can be found in barns as well as a couple other places, to my recollection.)

* Broken legs can be splinted, recovering after 30 minutes in a splint. While splinted, all non-crawling movement is as if the player was holding the walk-modifier.

* Slings can be made with two bandages.

* Broken arms recover in slings after 20 minutes. While an arm is in a sling, primary weapon aiming suffers a major wobble effect and/or vertical range of motion is restricted.

* Broken ribs can be bandaged.

* While bandaged, the increased damage penalty is reduced to 5%. Broken ribs heal in bandages after 30 minutes.

* For all breaks, using a method other than morphine to heal the break inflicts a stacking "recently wounded" effect, reducing maximum blood by 500 for 12 hours. Breaking the same bone twice within the 12 hour period will add another stack. Maximum blood will not drop below 6000 due to "recently wounded" effects. Morphine will instantly correct this in addition to any broken bones that currently exist as per the current system. While "recently wounded", the player is also more susceptible to disease/infection.

* Morphine will stay as rare as it is now, only spawning in medical-related spawn groups.

* Splinting, slinging and bandaging can be performed as an action on another player for breaks as current bandaging/morphine administration works.

* When unconscious, the screen darkens as well as blurs.

* Bleeding out occurs at a varying rate dependent upon factors including movement speed, concurrent injuries, thirst/satiation levels. (e.g. A well-nourished person who doesn't move has the potential to slow a bleed-out, but it will never stop/recover completely without bandaging. The inverse is also true, resulting in faster bleed-outs for full sprints and/or undernourished players.)

Disease/Infection:

* Varying disease types. Be creative. There are plenty out there. Rocket, if you're reading this, your brother is a virologist you said in an interview, I believe? I'm sure you can get pretty creative here.

* Diseases can be more easily acquired if bleeding.

* Diseases can have multiple forms of transmission.

...and many more, but I need to pass out. Will probably edit this when I'm done being dead to the world.

the injury suggestion is my favourite it would make for interesting situations.

Interesting improvements. I especially like the satiation/thirst part but the injury-ideas feel (in general) good additions. Good balance of realism and gameplay (unrealistically short healing times, sure, but very long in the game).

Am not really interested in the infection/disease part, it goes bit too far in my opinion. Especially if the only way to cure em is antibiotics which are so ridiculously rare that I've only seen 3 boxes ever and I've played quite a while. Acceptable depth-addition if they can be cured by staying warm, however (the current temp system would obviously have to be changed a bit if this was to happen).

Good ideas anyway.

I'd say the temperature system could use a bit of working over as well. Right now, the only time I've lost temperature is from running around at night in the freezing rain.

The only time you should not lose temperature is when the sun is up. If it's raining in day, slow temp loss. Night time? Slow temp loss, gradually increasing as it gets deeper into the night. Mornings would still be pretty chilly, too.

Rain and night time would make even the most seasoned of campers stay indoors or near a fireplace, so it should cause a sharp drop in temperature.

Not to mention the whole temperature meter thing being at 42 C is kinda weird. I thought at first it was because Rocket was American and didn't convert from F to C properly, but then I heard his accent; definitely Australian or NZ, so I don't know any more. Average body temp should be 36 C or something, not 42 C.

Once you get to, say, 5 degrees, you start shivering, and exertion (running for a long time) can increase chance of sickness. -5 degrees and you'll get lethargic, and at -15 you're almost guaranteed to get sick, and you start to shiver badly, take damage from frostbite, and risk passing out.

Other than that, I think the amount of blood you gain should have a bit of a buff from iron-rich food (steak, when you're above 100 satiation, might make you regen at 2-2.5 HP per second, rather than 1.5), and maybe the inclusion of energy bars and snack food could give you a large or small amount of satiation respectively, but not increase your blood regen rate all that much.

Just my 2 cents.