combatcomm1

Everyone is suffocating! Gas masks issue.

Only had gasmask training whilst being with local firedepartment here in sweden. Trained smoke diving and can say that alone can be gruesome. So respect to military dudes, i can atleast begin to comprehend what a pain in the bum it can be

I had a topic about this a while back. Yes, it does have filters, and they go into the cheeks also its no easy task to insert them or get out. I have M-10 gas mask which is the equivalent of the one in-game minus the small tubes next to the respirator. On the contrary I can breathe even better without the filters inserted.

Maybe when the game is more advanced and there will be an actual use for the gas mask, you will have to find filters for it and if you wear it a lot the filters will deteriorate and you will have to get new ones. But I'm sure that this won't be the only gas mask in-game. I used to play airsoft with my gas-mask and its a pain in the ass when you have to aim even with a red dot sight which should technically allow you to aim with both eyes open.

Edited by raynor009
  • Like 2

It's just an item of clothing. Don't need to make the game fucka difficult. There needs to be some easy going areas of it. People would play it less and less.

I know theres tons of Hardcore fans and I can appreciate that but for the most of the players...They'll just end up not playing again after a certain amount of time.

The game needs to have some fun not just all fuck you in your face everything is going to kill you 24/7

You are very rong mate,rocket have said that wearing a gas mask minimise your chans of geting random sickness(you know zombie infection apocalypsis and shit)

Also,Dayz SA soposed to be survival simulator,the Zeds are for fun ;-)

@TopicStarter

Yup, I've noticed that as well. question is "are they going to put in filters for the gasmasks?" (like in Metro 2033) and "are there going to be areas where you need them?" :)

The gas mask wothout filter do allow you to breath lol...

The problem is that its prime purpose functionallity is LOST without the filter!

Edited by TankyWanky

It depends which model gas mask you have. The M50 is the only one that I know of that you can't breath if you don't have filters on. You also can't cover the filter to check your seal like the other models. So to check the seal I take the filters off lol. It is a much better mask though overall. Not sure which mask is in game, haven't paid that much attention I guess.

The gas mask wothout filter do allow you to breath lol...

The problem is that its prime purpose functionallity is LOST without the filter!

Not the M50 (newest model issued by US Mil). :thumbsup:

i think they should add areas with levels of radioactive contamination, and to enter in this areas you will need a functional gas mask.and other things.

Edited by MFratane
  • Like 1

@DevilDog

In the game,as I see its simple SWAT gas mask (or spetznaz,its not equal units I know)

From your expirience of the M50,

You cant but as you see there are tons of other gas masks,civ(with small view radius),military(with flask tube,bigger "Nosehole" for you to be able to communicate by coms' easier) and etc...

Edited by TankyWanky

Could we make gasmasks kill people who go unconscious with them? Because that´s what often happens.

While we´re at the topic of gas masks, if there´s ever going to be contaminated areas, i wish this game gets even close to what Metro games have with their above ground sections (well, when you´re unprepared anyway) It´s just amazing when you end up running against the clock, trying to find new filters while your breathing gets heavier and heavier and vision starts to get cloudy.

By your username I am going to guess you don't know the F you are talking about. You're an idiot. 

Please stop insulting folk.

As for filters, I to think they need to be in game. 

All masks I have used have been "breathable" with old filters but ive never tried without one. Ill test my current mask tonight. It would make sense to not be able to breathe in air especially if one is in a contaminated environ and needs to swap filters.

Ill see if mine has an option.

Rdgs

LoK

People want realism in Dayz but don't mind running 10,000 meters in a Gas mask with no filters.  ^_^

• Like 2

I hope we will get toxic gas in some areas, maybe in later added industrial places (gas leaks etc)

or maybe even a NPP somewhere across Chernarus :)

Would also love to have the gas mask effect us in our vision like in the Metro games.

You would actually see through a plastic window, you hear the outlet sound, heavy breathing, dirty screen or maybe some cracks and scratches across your FOV

After our training in the gas chamber in the Marines (@Camp Lejeune), where we would test our seals, break said seal, and don and clear them again. After all that they would PT the crap out of us and have us run a small obstacle course out back, which was mostly running around and over stuff. It wasn't that difficult, although a little awkward. After you get winded though it's very difficult to catch your breath. Half the purpose, outside of the chamber was to get accustomed to the movement, and the other half, to get used to actually breathing with it on. I've seen a lot of people freak the heck out, both in the chamber, and even after the course, from not being able to catch their breath... good times :)

On another note, anyone ever try shooting with a gas mask on. It is infinitely more times difficult to get sighted in because it's more difficult to get your cheek on the buttstock of the rifle (I've tried it with an M16, M4, 91/30, Remington 700, cheap ass .22). still kinda difficult even when using optics. Both are totally doable though. If some newbie tried to do it for the first time in a combat situation, he'd probably be screwed. It's probably way to deep in the weeds to be implementing that level of depth into the game. Best to assume we're all pros at it.

Not sure what model is in the game but it looks like the ones we use in the military and they are super easy to breath without the canister but you are still not running very far or very fast with that damn thing on, I have done many gas mask runs and mountain climbs and it's a shit storm of suck.

• Like 1

Firstly, stop attention seeking for a being in the military. Secondly, not all respirators seal when a filter isn't attached, many types of 'gas masks' are easier to breath with when no filter is attached.

I do think wearing facemasks should have advantages and disadvantages in game though, maybe reducing your stamina (due to the reduced oxygen) but increasing your resistance to infection or something along those lines.

I was mainly aiming this at the original poster however there are many guilty of it in this thread ;) lol. not trying to flame though! haha

I know this isn't a huge deal at this point in development, I just wanted to bring it to the devs attention if they so happen to run across this thread. The gas masks models do not have filters on them. Without filters you literally cannot breath, I just tried it with my M50. 

So hopefully filters will also be something you must find in the world in order to craft a working gas mask once we have whatever air borne danger they are in the game for. Should you be able to wear a gas mask without filters? That depends on the depth of realism we want but I suspect the majority will say yes. They just want to wear the gas mask. 

I think they should collapse and die after a few minutes.  :P

Not to mention wearing a gas mask should massively decrease your running stamina/ability.

I think the thread was originally started as a note from experienced personnel that a person can't sprint non stop through a 250K map in a gas mask., nor are you eating or drinking (without that damn canteen cap) while it's on. you can't see shit in it, can't breathe, it's hot, it's a suck factor and many of these threads are started from gear to weapons from experienced people as a note to others that care about authenticity and are looking for a realistic game, the devs take a lot into consideration reading through the threads, They are programmers and it helps knowing as much as possible about what you're making.

By your username I am going to guess you don't know the F you are talking about. You're an idiot. I bet the only use you have for a gas mask is to hot box yourself. Put an M50 on, take the filters off and try and breath. I hope you suffocate! 

The M50 has little air gaskets that will not let you suck air in if the filters are off, granted, the mask in the game may not be an M50. Sure looks like one though. 

Ho relax forum warrior! No need to get that personal. It's quite obvious it depends on the type of gasmask. I have an outdated one at my place and you can breathe through it without filter. Yours probably has a safety mechanism so toxic air doesn't enter the mask when you have to swap filters in contaminated air.

Edited by Ratiasu
  • Like 1

It's just an item of clothing. Don't need to make the game fucka difficult. There needs to be some easy going areas of it. People would play it less and less.

I know theres tons of Hardcore fans and I can appreciate that but for the most of the players...They'll just end up not playing again after a certain amount of time. 

The game needs to have some fun not just all fuck you in your face everything is going to kill you 24/7

You literally just got done describing what DayZ ISN'T about.. Also, I love when players claim to speak for "most of the players" as if they know.  This game isn't, and was never meant to be easy by any means and if you can't handle that, then why did you buy it?

Edited by Mdogg2005

Now that that's all taken care of, should we discuss how running for miles in a motorcycle helmet should make you feel?

in fact we will discuss how it is possible zombies running behind you

Edited by tiagoaccorsi