Sign in to follow this  
invisiduck

Humanity Idea

I think the skins that were used in the Dayz Mod depending on your level of humanity worked well but was way to obvious and apart from the new skin did not hold any other purpose. Part of me thinks that there should be no visual reference to which way the survivor has decided to play but after playing the Standalone for quite a while and being held up, fed disenfectant and shot in the legs I started to think there should be someway of telling but subtly.

I had a couple of ideas which i would love some feedback on to see if im heading down the right or wrong path on this one.

1. Momentos - I discussed this with a frend of mine as to what this would consist of. One idea would be small items/clues which could be looked for. Maybe for a Bandit, if they kill a neutral player, a finger could hang from a chain on their belt, which at a distance and a certain angle could not be seen, until you meet and you happen to spot it on them, or when they kill so many neutral players it could advance to Scars on their face, or a blood stained rag hanging out their back pocket. This could even extend to certain types of tattoo appearing on them.

Maybe if you were to sway the other way, killing bandits and helping fellow survivors, things like handcuff keys hangin out the pocket, a bandage around their arm or maybe a name badge on the chest.

2. Gestures - Rather than having something visible on them, maybe change the way they interact with the world and other survivors. For example, Everyone starts so they can wave, hold their hands up sit etc. If that survivor was to shoot an neutral survivor there wave is slightly lower, they sit more slumped or they run differently, after killing more neutral survivors this could unlock more taunts (cut throat, point and shout for backup, angry etc), maybe even allow things like stomping on unconcious players if they wish, or use their rifle butt as a weapon.

For the more helpful, killing bandits as a neutral and helping survivors gives a higher animated wave, a more welcoming sitting animation or a beckoning gesture. As they help their fellow survivors more things unlock such as helping an floored survivor to their feet/support a broken leg, or the ability to do CPR or even go in for a hearty handshake.

I like the mementos.  I dislike the Gestures,

I am not sure why people are SOO against changes that would improve the game.

Dunno, I wouldnt approach a possible victim with a finger attached to a chain hanging out of my pocket.  <_<

Improve the game? It wont improve the game. Things similar to this were done in the mod. What it changed then was bandits and KoS'ers now had in game goals to shoot for. People were wrongly "flagged" as a bandit for defending themselves and suffered from it. KoS actually increased because of this in my experience. And it did not improve anything at all. Hence why it was removed.

You really cannot reward or punish people for how they want to play. That goes against the nature of a sandbox game. Not only that it removes the unknown element from interacting with other players. Thus removing a lot of the tension that comes from seeing someone else if you automatically can tell if they are a bandit, KoSer, or hero. It removes certain play styles and possibilities by giving you knowledge you wouldn't normally have.

It removes certain play styles and possibilities by giving you knowledge you wouldn't normally have.

In the mod it was done badly.   If done correctly, it could work well.

At the moment the friendly play style is being removed from the game.  Is that also not an issue?

People actually interacting and talking to eachother, I feel is a huge part of what DayZ is.   Encountering another Player, having holdups, getting robbed, taken prisoner, handcuffing and forcing people to drink your pee.

These things will all be gone soon, when everyone gives up on adding Drama to the game, and just shoots everyone on sight.

Thats how it went in the mod, go join any mod server now, and try to talk to someone, they will shoot you in the face.

We are loosing a very fun playstyle allready, and it is sad.

At the moment the friendly play style is being removed from the game.  Is that also not an issue?

...Uhhh, no it isn't. Players that don't WANT to be friendly are causing that. Not the game.

Thats how it went in the mod, go join any mod server now, and try to talk to someone, they will shoot you in the face.

Yes, but that has nothing to do with the game. In the mod, the additions actually meant people would stay away from you because of your skin, and people went for it as a sign of veterancy. You're suggesting not only giving them a way of counting their 'rep', but also giving them extra content. If anything, that will ENCOURAGE banditry.

The goal is to not punish or reward any playstyle. Let the player community do that themselves.

• Like 1

Improve the game? It wont improve the game. Things similar to this were done in the mod. What it changed then was bandits and KoS'ers now had in game goals to shoot for. People were wrongly "flagged" as a bandit for defending themselves and suffered from it. KoS actually increased because of this in my experience. And it did not improve anything at all. Hence why it was removed. 

Even worse, some players would appear as "heros" because they would give blood to or otherwise help their bandit buddies.  

IRL you can't tell if someone is a murderous psychopath by looking at them.  

I do like the "trophy" idea.  Like if I wanted to play all psycho, I could use a knife or ax to collect ears or noses on a necklace or wear a human skin mask or whatever.  But it would be a choice I make as a player and it's likely to make other players shoot me on sight as a dangerous lunatic (and rightfully so)

Edited by bfisher

The only way this would work is that they made the hero's look amazing for being one and bandits look horrible, otherwise people will just kill too look the best, not the fact of being a bandit