Sign in to follow this  
ianramos

Apocalyptic Environment.

That's somethIng I can't see or feel when playing DayZ.

Blood, bodies/dead zombies, not only at houses but at the entire map, like in the middle of the roads, etc. Smash zombie head, body parts, etc...

DayZ is an incredible awesome survival game. But the thing is: the whole zombie apocalypse environment never existed. If you simply remove the zombies around the map, you would never say it was a zombie game at all... Just like state that got abandoned and some crazy guys are stealing loot and killing each other for it. 

I think we can assume that the zombies took the country by suprise, and they didn't have a chance to fight back, and ran instead, 'abandoning' it like you've said. Don't treat it as if there has been a zombie 'invasion', but instead a change in management.

I prefer the idea that there hasn't been some all out zombie war, or amazing struggle for life, but a quiet death of society. It's rather more dignified than some blockbuster zombie movie style invasion.

It's like the T.S Elliot Poem.

This is the way the world ends

Not with a bang but with a whimper

Edited by Jaginun

I agree with this statement to a degree.  A more immersive environment could have alot of play factor.  My only concern is the amount of objects you would need to place and its effect on the servers performance.

That's somethIng I can't see or feel when playing DayZ.

Blood, bodies/dead zombies, not only at houses but at the entire map, like in the middle of the roads, etc. Smash zombie head, body parts, etc...

DayZ is an incredible awesome survival game. But the thing is: the whole zombie apocalypse environment never existed. If you simply remove the zombies around the map, you would never say it was a zombie game at all... Just like state that got abandoned and some crazy guys are stealing loot and killing each other for it. 

You watch too many hollywood films mate. TV is bad for you.

Yep, much old blood on floor, bloody cloth rags, several burnt houses, some plans of evacuations on walls, floating in the wind newspapers ...

I thought there were more crashed Humvees and checkpoints on the map. Maybe they are building new models with more variation? I can't wait for new maps in general as Chernerus is becoming too familiar. I hope they make a ruined New York map like in the movie Legend or the city parts of Walking Dead.

Edited by Thane

It saddens me that certain things can't be done due to the limitation of the engine. As it is, FPS issues abound.

Makes me wonder how the devs of games like GTAV optimize their games despite all the activity on-screen at the same time.

I always thought the emptiness and solitude when walking through the countryside and towns helped contributed to the apocalyptic landscape.  Definitely made it look like something bad happened overnight.

Stuff like "Get out, infected have taken over" in spray paint on a wall or road sign to the entrance to the village.

I don't think it should be everywhere. Everywhere would make less impact. But if it was something you stumbled on very occasionally some apocalyptic gore might be very effective.

Imagine finding a random group of broken/weathered tents in the woods, one containing a child's bed covered in blood... With the parents hanging from a tree nearby... That is a bit dark, but finding stuff like that very rarely would have a huge impact, whereas if it was all over the place it would just be a part of the background.

I thought there were more crashed Humvees and checkpoints on the map. Maybe they are building new models with more variation? I can't wait for new maps in general as Chernerus is becoming too familiar. I hope they make a ruined New York map like in the movie Legend or the city parts of Walking Dead.

No, if I see burnt out and crushed vehicles I want a story/ reason for their presence.

In the mod it just seemingly spawns random shit all over the roads.

Maybe in the forest there is a small road with and overturned truck with a couple destroyed cars behind it.

If you look at it you can assume that with the close quarters of the road people exited their cars to inspect what was ahead of the truck, only to be ambushed by zombies/ bandits/ rouge military.

I'd like to see some hints at rouge military too, if there were any more influential groups of survivors surely it would be a rouge military squad.

Setting up random places of a last stand with a mixture of civilian and military style things.

Slightly earlier and better equipped versions of the survivors we play as.

Still able to survive in cities and such, meaning solitary fortified buildings with torn down barricades.

i am really just wondering, imagining how the dayz would be like that.

I know it's very limited by the engine. Some bodies on the ground and it affects the whole server perfomance, FPS and shit.

You can never watch too much walking dead ;)

I lost my job & wife because I'm addicted to AMC's The Walking Dead.