ComboBreaker

What is the actual purpose of barbed wire?

Hello.

The most obvious usage of the barbed wire - and it comes into mind first - is the creation of the bases.But , with a current server system building bases is pointless.Even if you've made a 2 layered circle with a barbed wire with tents inside and were using helicopter to get inside and outside,someone will just hop into other server and login inside your base.

The other usage of the barbed wire is sealing lootable buildings while staying inside to hop from server to server.And lets be honest - its the only usage of the wire that you've probably seen.This or just a random barbed wire in the middle of nowhere - pointless and ruining the atmosphere.

This is getting rediculous.Yesterday I've been looting on the outer side of the electro and literally half of the decent buildings were blocked with barbed wire.I've found a toolbox in the nearest warehouse,but because of how screwed up the removal of wire is, I could not remove it.Moreover,I dont want to be an easy target for a server hopper inside the building while trying to target fiddly barbed wire's "hitbox" to remove the damn obstacle.

:-/

What I suggest :

-Remove barbed wire for now.Noone uses it how it was supposed to be used and just openly griefs with it to get safe loot and piss off other players.Base building is an unfinished concept like skin system was,so untill then we do not need barbed wire altogether.

Yeah, it, sandbags, and tank traps all seem to be very limited in use... The only barbed wire use I can think of that is server relevant is like... placing it on a road so people cannot get down it with vehicles... lol.

Sandbags I guess may be minorly more useful if you want some sort of cover at some place, but still...

Seeing as it only affects players and not zombies, I always assumed it was there for griefing purposes only?

All fortifications are useless, considering someone can just log out, move a few feet past whatever barriers you built, then relog in behind them.

At best they are indeed for griefing purposes/using on new players for utter annoyance.

I started a new character only to run into six or seven of them blocking the school and zed's tried to eat my ass.

Was not fun.

I've only ever seen it used to block enterances of houses and buildings that didnt have anything of importance in them. I believe they were implemented to build little cities and forts, but I have yet to see that done. I'm not so sure it belongs in the game.

inb4 grow balls/carebear

If the barbed wire could block zombies I could see it being useful

As stated above, Server hoppers make it kind of useless against players for anything other than grieving right now.

What 'd suggest is that there is a tool that can be used to cut wire anywhere along it, not just the glitchy mess it is now.

That way, it would do it's job: Slow down people.

Shortening the length of it would also be nice. It's a bit too long, so sometimes goes through buildings.

I've seen some good usage of it, in particular in a town where it blocked some roads while some guys were holding the office. No way to approach the area from cover. Working as intended in that respect, except when you add hoppers in the equation.

Of course, zeds blocked/slowed down by it (Treated as inside a building for zeds?) would be great.

There is room for improvement, but saying it ruins the game is nonsense. And you can jump over most of them.

Am actually suprised this hadn't come up sooner.

Honestly half the places in town are blocked with these things, and unless you have a toolbox they're there for good, and new people can't even get past them for some decent l00ts.

When i first saw them put in, even then i saw no use for them but what people are doing with them it was a funny LOLwtf?

You can hop over " MOST " of them. It should be you an hop over ALL of them. ALSO, make it so you CAN'T place them INSIDE buildings and make it so you can dismantle them from any part of the barbed wire. Perfect solution.

It won't have a use basically ever with server hopping in existence to get over it. Only solution would be high walls with npc's basically if it was to allow player forts and give these a use.

They are the one legit reason to server hop, imo. It's intensely frustrating to make your way to the NW barracks only to find some griefer has blocked the door. They serve no purpose except griefing and should be removed.

Agreed, they really do nothing for the game in all honesty. Players can hop servers to get past them, and in addition they are only used as an annoyance. They block doors to buildings where people are there to loot. No real purpose as zeds have no care in the world when it comes to the barbed wire.

They are great for setting up camps. They inhibit the movement of attackers trying to get into your camp, and they also serve as a boundary and look really cool.

If the graphic glitching wasn't a problem I wouldn't care so much about barbed wire. Regardless of it's usefulness. But I was in a server last night that was glitched to hell. Trying to scope out an area just to get eye raped wasn't very enjoyable.

buggy and the ONLY USE i've seen is whats been said, blocking building from players. Which could be justified, if the placer of the wire was still in the damn building.

***I say this, have barb wire have a limited number of uses (like 10), and have them only last for as long as the player is still logged into the server. Then you could make more cool things with them (by placing 10), but only when you are actually using them.

So when they block a building so they can loot it in safety, thats fine, but they have to remove the wire to get out. If they server hop, the wire despawns. This also allows dissconnect to remove the wire, and let people without clippers/tools remove wires that may have trapped them by mistake.

Then it can be used for active things, not just for dicking people.

I must admit tank traps/wire/sandbags add virtually nothing to the game.

bye bye hopefully.

If the intent was for the protection of tent cities, make them only deployable a certain radius from a tent? If tents are forced to be placed in grass I think our problem is solved.

The only use I've seen so far is to block buildings. I missed out on what I think was a M4A1 yesterday because of a blocked tent. Also, the parking garage in east Cherno (I believe on Atlanta 25) was turned into an extreme zombie trap somehow. I heard a massive horde of zombies when I got near the building, and I noticed all entrances were blocked off with wire and hedgehogs.

Ya, I think at this point its a bit of a nuisance and should be turfed...at this point

All in favour to remove barbed wire, tank traps and sandbags say "aye"!

-AYYYYYE!

This building blocking and server hopping pisses me off to no end. The game is not made for the people who do this kind of crap.

A part of what makes the game really fun is to loot as you travel, gathering better supplies while you encounter other people, search chopper wrecks, dodge infected and so on. It's a huge game world to explore, and it's always a great experience doing it all over again after getting killed!

Who in their right mind spends all their time on servers inside the tower of a firestation??

This isn't Diablo 3, no one should care that much for "epic lewts"

It won't have a use basically ever with server hopping in existence to get over it.

Use your imagination. You could turn the sniper towers into 'prisons'.

For trolling people? That's about the only use I can think of.

I agree. The construction items should be taken out until later on when they're going to be actually used. As of right now, they're just taking up loot spawn locations for nothing.