Sign in to follow this  
Armonikills

Feeling naive on my "no KoS" policy

It's sad to say, but I'm just starting to think that KoS is the only viable solution to survival in this game. I run around, get the best loot possible, then turn into a free loot depository because I naively think that players aren't going to kill me instantly when I try to communicate/run into them. I know I can run with a group, friends, be a hermit, or avoid players... but with all those in mind, it turns into a frag fest in the end (which has happened with all).

I didn't play the mod, but I'm curious if it was like this... Just the rampant slaughter of each other pre/post game??

Thanks,

Armonik

P.S. I'm not hating on the game, just curious on the thoughts of others who try not to KoS and how it's working for them. :P

• Like 1

I don't KoS. Simple. Why? Because

1: I can't loot their bodies

2: I am a saint

3: It wastes ammo

4: I really do not care about my gear.

Works well. I do shoot people when they are obviously geared, shooting freshspawns or are a possible threat to me or my group.

Edited by DMZ_Sniper
  • Like 1

So, shoot anyone with a gun that is/isn't a threat? Maybe I'll just start doing that.

Edited by Armonikills
  • Like 1

So, shoot anyone with a gun that is/isn't a threat? Maybe I'll just start doing that.

I shoot geared people only when in group or they kill bambies. If I am alone, usually avoid them.

• Like 1

My gun is insurance. Long before I consider talking to someone over DC, it's aimed at them, usually from a position where they have their back facing me. They get a friendly reminded not to turn around but they can move their head. Stow their weapon and we can be the best of friends. If they ignore me, I move off and leave them to it. If they turn around, they get a round. Yes, I'm friendly, but I'm not so trusting. It's called survival, I play it as a survival game so the longer I can keep a single character alive, that's me winning my game. 8 days I've kept this dude alive for and I'll be damned if I'm gonna lose him any time soon.

I'd suggest making sure you have the advantage in a situation before revealing yourself dude, that is, if you want to stay a friendly person and not just devolve to shooting everything on sight. 

• Like 1

KOS isn't the only way to play for the life of a bandit is much easier to play than the life of a hero.

I wrote a story explaining this ;)

• Like 1

I ran into two guys last night at a military base.

Ran into the first one in one of the barracks.  We both had weapons drawn and pointed.  I called out first, he responded.  We both said an uneasy greeting and lowered our weapons.  I backed away. 

Ran into his buddy outside.  He had a loaded M4 pointed right at me.  So at this point with my weapon lowered and this guy had a bead on me, figured I'd try to initiate friendly exchange.  So I took a risk and put my weapon away.  They both did the same.  

We had a pleasant conversation after that, offering supplies and gear to one another.  I ended up giving them a spare saline bag.  We all wished each other good luck and parted ways.  This was during the night by the way, which I think raises tension a bit.

Was nice to run into a couple cool guys.  So it gets seemingly better.  Of course things are always better away from the coast.

• Like 1

You really just gotta play it as you want and know you will die fast. If killing others is not fun for you, don't do it just because others do (that happens a lot and it barrels into the frag-fest). People end up playing the game as KOSer because they feel unfairly done by, by other players who KOS them.

Can only hope people will move from EZmode and start being creative. I met some idiots that where slowly getting there, was like watching a chimp with a camera before they smash it:-

They saw me and had guns

I surrendered

They cuffed me

I didn't struggle

They did nothing for a while and then just shot me.

If you don't KoS sooner or later you will get killed because of that. You just have to accept that.

So what? It's not as if gearing up in DayZ is some kind of monumental task. I don't KoS. Never have, never will. Not because of some weird sense of "honour" or whatever but because I find the KoS mentality boring.

I don't shoot unarmed players or players that pose no threat to me. When I want to PeeVeePee I go to Balota AF and hunt geared-up players who hunt bambis for fun. Love it when a group of 3 military-style wearing, M4-wielding bada$$es log off the moment one of them gets a bullet into his braincase.

Well basically, just shoot people that is armed enoguh to hurt you. If you see a man with a m4, kill him, but if you see a freshspawn, let him run around like an idiot. You just have to consider the danger level of each survivor.

Playing friendly is a big challenge. But the rewards from teaming up can rly rly out weigh the benefits from Kos. Sometimes you will get shot....sometimes robbed, but sometimes......just sometimes.....you will meet someone nice. Together you can acomplish much more, things like more inv space, help when unconcious and someone to cover you in a new meet.

Iv teamed up with several players while playing Sa, most tried to kill me in the first ten seconds. You have to take a chance....and in most cases the first step to show you are friendly. Approaching a player with both weapons on ya back helps....iv met people who lined me up to kill....untill i shouldered my m4 and waved.

Ofc theres always the ones that just shoot.....most times ends with you dying. But when ya do manage to run away, flank, and get the kill....its so much more rewarding than just shooting a guy who dosent even know ya there.

Next time ya meet someone take a chance....all the guys in my lil group met in the mod. All ingame and all through bieng friendly.

• Like 1

Not everyone who carries an M4 or a Mosin is a "threat".. They only become a threat if they are pointing it at you. Keep in mind, people often play from whatever position they find themselves in at the moment.. If you get the drop on someone, 9 times out of 10 they will cooperate with you and be friendly.. If they get the drop on you, 9 times out of 10 they will just shoot you on sight.

Which do you think is the more skillful and entertaining way to play a game based on survival and emergent human interaction? Shooting a guy in the back, or having the balls to try to talk to him? If you shoot him, you never learn whether or not he was friendly or not.. you just assume the worst. If you talk to him, he may very well be a dick, but then you can still shoot him later.

It takes skill to put yourself in the best positions possible, and even the best players in the game get killed and lose their gear. As Karma eluded to (post above mine), Friendships in this game are much more valuable than gear.

Remember, it is the duty of the strong to protect the weak, not subjugate them.

Edited by Etherimp
  • Like 1

I had to kill a bambi last night after he complied with me and my comrads wishes... I feel terrible

My friend and I stopped to harvest a little blood from one and in the process a blood bag was dropped on the floor. He took it so I had to kill him.

Edited by Heraldic4

Well, even after saying I will shoot people with gun... I couldn't, lol. I'm guessing my post came down to me being angry from a KoS after hours of solitude up north.

But, I gave 3 pistols with 2 mags each to bambis in electra last night after three heavily armed bandits were running around shooting everyone. I actually killed one with a shovel (all I had atm), took his gun, and killed the other two. Ahhh, Felt good... :)