kimmoproudfoot@gmail.com

Ultralight Aircraft

Ultralight Aircraft  

247 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see ultralight aircraft in DayZ?

It would be cool if we could hear from a dev member, to see what they think. You know if they are not busy pumping out updates or working their butts off.  

• Like 1

It would be cool if we could hear from a dev member, to see what they think. You know if they are not busy pumping out updates or working their butts off.

That'd be great. I wonder if they have a staff member that looks at this stuff specifically?

That'd be great. I wonder if they have a staff member that looks at this stuff specifically?

That's a good qustion, I'd think they would because of how close they are with the community but you never know

That's a good qustion, I'd think they would because of how close they are with the community but you never know

A kind moderator moved the thread to the "Suggestions" section.

Good to see, just seems this topic fits a bit more here and what the heck here is another picture. 

quicksilver-gt400.jpg

Edited by kingrex
  • Like 1

Good to see, just seems this topic fits a bit more here and what the heck here is another picture. 

quicksilver-gt400.jpg

Another nice example of an ultralight that would look at home in the world of DayZ!

• Like 1

Let's not forget about the world of ultralight helicopters. I offer the same argument in relation to their validity in DayZ. In an apocalypse scenario my bet is, it'll be the least complex aircraft that make it through relatively unscathed. Ultralight helicopters offer many of the same advantages as their fixed wing cousins. They are mechanically simple, fuel efficient and easier to repair and maintain than more complex models. One popular ultralight helicopter manufacturer just so happens to come from the same country as DayZ's creator - Mosquito Aviation based in Auckland, New Zealand. They manufacture a couple of single seat two-stroke piston engine models:

MOSQUITO XE (with skids)

%7B3FEC872A-1D71-4993-8D12-673349D9BD7A%

MOSQUITO XE (with floats)

640px-MosquitoAviationXEL.jpg

And last but not least, the Mosquito Air:

%7B55C023EC-9684-4F3D-B37A-D6CAFEF4EA86%

As long as they are rarely and randomly spawned, with variable states of repair like I have suggested for fixed wing ultralights, then I think they would be perfect for DayZ! Please share you thoughts. :)

• Like 1

Here is that mod I mentioned before, it's fun once you get hold of flying it. http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=12562

Very cool! Imagine something similar with high resolution textures, a detailed 3D model, proper sound files and detailed animations :-) Hope someone on the development team reads this thread and puts it in the game; it would make my day!

• Like 1

Very cool! Imagine something similar with high resolution textures, a detailed 3D model, proper sound files and detailed animations :-) Hope someone on the development team reads this thread and puts it in the game; it would make my day!

Like wise, man it would be cool.

Ultra-lights are the ONLY type of aircraft I would ever want to see in DayZ.

Military choppers can stay in the mod.

• Like 2

So I was thinking about the weight shift trikes and paragliders again. To make them harder to get, they could make it were you would find just the trike or paragliding engine. Then you would have to find the wing for the trike or para engine and craft them together.

http://www.lightsportaircraft.ca/airventure-2006/electricpowered-poweredparaglider.html

• Like 1

So I was thinking about the weight shift trikes and paragliders again. To make them harder to get, they could make it were you would find just the trike or paragliding engine. Then you would have to find the wing for the trike or para engine and craft them together.

http://www.lightsportaircraft.ca/airventure-2006/electricpowered-poweredparaglider.html

This makes a lot of sense kingrex. If they implement modular road vehicles (which by all accounts seems pretty likely), then it shouldn't be too difficult to give aircraft the same treatment. It will also add to the difficulty in getting airborne, which I support 100%.

• Like 1

Paragliders can also be used with a trike which could be found or crafted from pipes and wheels. easy to move as well by car.

soar.JPG

• Like 1

I didn't realise someone had modelled the Mosquito ULH (as opposed to the autogyro) for Arma 2 / DayZ Mod already. Imagine something similar with nicer textures, sound and model (then imagine how much fun it would be).  :)

Edited by Kimmo

Why not have improvised vehicles in general, mad max syle.  1 or two seat land, air and water craft would be a great addition.  It would be closer to reality than you think, people make land and water vehicles using small engines all the time.

Edited by charlieteh
  • Like 1

Why not have improvised vehicles in general, mad max syle.  1 or two seat land, air and water craft would be a great addition.  It would be closer to reality than you think, people make land and water vehicles using small engines all the time.

I'm all for this idea. The development roadmap on DayZ's Steam store page used to state that "Playable user customizable vehicles" were a planned feature. Unfortunately this has changed recently to "Playable vehicles". Perhaps the code required to implement complex customisation for vehicles carries too much of a performance overhead. We can but hope.  :)

Edited by Kimmo

That's why I think having ultralights would be a good fit for dayz.

1 they fly slow around any where from 20 to 80 mph

2 have a low amount of usable cargo space/weight

3 mostly use 2 stroke engines which have a higher need of maintenance, and have a higher chance of failure

Was reading through the thread again kingrex - this engine failure idea is good stuff! Many ultralights use Rotax two stroke engines, which up until quite recently had a reputation for questionable reliability. It probably wouldn't be too difficult to code an engine failure probability based on fuel contamination or component failure. 

For a player to constantly have a fear of engine failure while flying might add to the desperate survivalist aspect of the DayZ experience, especially if flying above water or forested areas. However, with enough practice most aspiring ultralight aviators should be able to manage a successful landing with no engine power (glide or auto-rotate).

• Like 1

Was reading through the thread again kingrex - this engine failure idea is good stuff! Many ultralights use Rotax two stroke engines, which up until quite recently had a reputation for questionable reliability. It probably wouldn't be too difficult to code an engine failure probability based on fuel contamination or component failure. 

For a player to constantly have a fear of engine failure while flying might add to the desperate survivalist aspect of the DayZ experience, especially if flying above water or forested areas. However, with enough practice most aspiring ultralight aviators should be able to manage a successful landing with no engine power (glide or auto-rotate).

That's what I was going for. Once you start looking at ultralights (in the US) most have a 2 stroke if it is only a one seater. The 2 strokes work pretty well but for someone that does not know how to clean and maintain it, it can become unsafe very quickly because of carbon built up and wear.
  • Like 1

I wonder if first person view was mandatory when flying, whether it would help to alleviate the potential issue of making bases and vehicles too easy to spot from the air? This clip gives a good indication of what it might look and feel like:

• Like 1

I think first person only would be the best way to go but third person is still in game, so we will have to see how it goes.

Also here is someone taking off in a powered paraglider without a cart

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qDySi3hZYdQ

Possibility of breaking your leg if you stall?