kimmoproudfoot@gmail.com

Ultralight Aircraft

Ultralight Aircraft  

247 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see ultralight aircraft in DayZ?

You're forgetting that not everyone lives in sunny Florida Raptor. Ultralight pilots in the UK can only fly without thermal gear during the warmest half of the year. Given that Chernarus is a fictional eastern block soviet state, you could rightly assume that for at least half the year the temperature wouldn't climb much higher than 10°C (based on real world figures for Ukraine). That's 50°F dropping to around 36°F at 4000 feet plus wind-chill. Try that in shorts and t-shirt and let me know if you feel the same way  :P

*Former, Soviet State. Now a Republic. The Republic of Chernarus.

Forgive me, I'm picky about accuracy 

Edited by King of kong
  • Like 1

Raptor has a point there, the dev team would have to implement  some type of weather effect for the cold first. 

Edited by kingrex

If that were the case, you would need said clothing to do any activity in the game. Running for hours would also bring the same effects. Flying in a helicopter or An-2 will yield the same results. The only thing you wouldn't need those clothes for is in a car with a heater.

Now I'm all for the ultralight, but if the clothing is required, its going to be required for anything done in the game.

Running for hours would produce substantial levels of body heat and could be accomplished easily in low temperatures with regular clothes. I'm pretty sure that most helicopters post 1950 feature a cockpit heat system, as does the An-2. Anyway, I really don't want this thread to descend into a flame war, so perhaps we can agree to disagree.

On a serious note though, making thermal flight suits a rare prerequisite for flying an ultralight for sustained periods in DayZ, would make it more challenging and satisfying when a player eventually finds all the correct gear.

Edited by Kimmo

Raptor has a point there, the dev team would have to implement  some type of weather effect for the cold first. 

It shouldn't be too difficult to code a body temperature drop for a player based on a product of altitude and speed. This would be offset or negated by a thermal flight suit. DayZ mod Namalsk uses a simplified version of this idea, which requires players to find warm clothes or face the negative consequences for health.

It shouldn't be too difficult to code a body temperature drop for a player based on a product of altitude and speed. This would be offset or negated by a thermal flight suit. DayZ mod Namalsk uses a simplified version of this idea, which requires players to find warm clothes or face the negative consequences for health.

Yeah and the mod had it too but you only got cold at night or while swimming, I was just saying it would be cool to see it in SA with a little more added.   

Edited by kingrex
  • Like 1

Wow, it's rare to see an intelligent thread without whining and with good ideas  :thumbsup: ! 

I really like this idea of having ULA. The airfield spawn, gas(type) and temperature elements would be ideal to make it challenging and fun. And you could probably fairly easily be shot out of a ULA so I don't see any reason not to have such aircraft in the game.

Welcome to the DayZ forums, we need more like you.

• Like 1

On a serious note though, making thermal flight suits a rare prerequisite for flying an ultralight for sustained periods in DayZ, would make it more challenging and satisfying when a player eventually finds all the correct gear.

It just seems a waste to me. As mentioned before, if there were two per map, that's pretty rare. 40 people per server. As with the mod and a server reset, you know a majority of players will bee-line for them and simply take them up for a 30 second spin before they kamikaze into some noobs on the coast. For them to code all this complex stuff, add new inventory and spawns for someone to trek miles for some clothes and then trek many more miles for a plane that probably is upside down in a tree across the map? Waste of resources, imo.

tl;dr- Give us an ultralight and nothing more. This is a zombie survival game, not a flight simulator.

Edited by Raptor05121

How about a HOT AIR BALLOON?!?!?!?!?

1.jpg

LOL. Launch balloon, gasp in awe of Chernarus terrain, cry deeply as you float out over the water and lose sight of land.

• Like 1

10/10

Would hang glide from the top of Devil's Castle.. to the NWAF and try to land on the airstrip.. only to be shot by bandits upon approach!

• Like 1

http://www.puddlejumper.com/Images/LN2_HR2.jpg

Could also see some on floats or add them in as a kit for customizing your ultralight/plane. 

Another cool idea kingrex! If they weren't already fitted to the aircraft, perhaps they could spawn in the inventory of larger road vehicles like small trucks / vans. Floats would also limit landing sites which could add an interesting twist.

Wow, it's rare to see an intelligent thread without whining and with good ideas  :thumbsup: ! 

I really like this idea of having ULA. The airfield spawn, gas(type) and temperature elements would be ideal to make it challenging and fun. And you could probably fairly easily be shot out of a ULA so I don't see any reason not to have such aircraft in the game.

Welcome to the DayZ forums, we need more like you.

Why thanks Matman!  :)

It just seems a waste to me. As mentioned before, if there were two per map, that's pretty rare. 40 people per server. As with the mod and a server reset, you know a majority of players will bee-line for them and simply take them up for a 30 second spin before they kamikaze into some noobs on the coast. For them to code all this complex stuff, add new inventory and spawns for someone to trek miles for some clothes and then trek many more miles for a plane that probably is upside down in a tree across the map? Waste of resources, imo.

tl;dr- Give us an ultralight and nothing more. This is a zombie survival game, not a flight simulator.

Legitimate concerns Raptor, but these problems can be mitigated pretty easily. Perhaps ultralights could spawn in a random location and state of repair, so that nobody truly knows where to run to or what parts are needed to make it airworthy. Making ultralight flight difficult to achieve will also dissuade immature players from using them as weapons.

I honestly think that simple aircraft have just as much validity as road vehicles and boats. As long as they are carefully implemented, I reckon it would add a cool new dynamic to the DayZ experience.

Screw a balloon, I want this:

dannyde1.jpg

Me too - but where would a survivor find a suitable helium alternative in Chernarus? Hint -->  :beans:  :beans:  :beans:

10/10

Would hang glide from the top of Devil's Castle.. to the NWAF and try to land on the airstrip.. only to be shot by bandits upon approach!

Nice flight plan!  :thumbsup:  :beans:

Edited by Kimmo
  • Like 1

Hey Kimmo should this topic be moved to the suggestion forum?

That might be a good idea kingrex. I didn't realise there was a separate section for suggestions.

It's cool I just saw it too, I think it just came up.

My beef with aircraft isn't size, type, or amorment. Its the fact that a single player with a chopper or plane can find an raid every base on the server withinva day, and go from Kemenka to NEAF in 10 minutes. 

Theres virtually no fix for that, other tank throwing branches onto your tents, but it would probably still be to easy to see them.

If we're going to have aircraft, it needs to be the good 'ol An-2 in Airline Blue/white colors, with an Increased fuel usage and less visibility from flying inside. It needs to be loud, hard to fly, and have a 1/100 chance every minute for the engine to randomly stop while flying, and no Auto-Parachutee that you magically have!

Othe than that, i see no place for Aircraft in DayZ.

My beef with aircraft isn't size, type, or amorment. Its the fact that a single player with a chopper or plane can find an raid every base on the server withinva day, and go from Kemenka to NEAF in 10 minutes.

Theres virtually no fix for that, other tank throwing branches onto your tents, but it would probably still be to easy to see them.

If we're going to have aircraft, it needs to be the good 'ol An-2 in Airline Blue/white colors, with an Increased fuel usage and less visibility from flying inside. It needs to be loud, hard to fly, and have a 1/100 chance every minute for the engine to randomly stop while flying, and no Auto-Parachutee that you magically have!

I've heard rumours of underground bases. Problem solved.

That's why I think having ultralights would be a good fit for dayz.

1 they fly slow around any where from 20 to 80 mph

2 have a low amount of usable cargo space/weight

3 mostly use 2 stroke engines which have a higher need of maintenance, and have a higher chance of failure

• Like 1

No no no no and no. Choppers or any type of flying engine ruins the game. It's too easy to find vehicles and players camps, and back to the mod, it was easy to pull 100 bullets with the heli machine gun on someone or a car. Like one of my previous post, I wrote that on my server, without helicopter, my clan's camp lasted 1 month and more. We had decent supplies and car. Nobody touched it or even found it. It was funnier to play, had a good time with my black SUV that I kept for so long. One day, we added 1 chopper to the server, and guess what, a day later, all camps on the map were destroyed by another clan on our server, and they brought back like 30-40 cars on their camp. I found their camp in the north west of the map, (it was so funny to explode all theses cars with a grenade) but still, the fact is that it's too easy. I got on the road with my SUV and they shot my wheel and I crashed on an accident the same day. When the SA will be advanced, they talked about construction and farming or whatever they want to implement. It'll be too easy for player that have bad intentions to ruin the gameplay of other players. I know it's a part of the game to kill or destroy or steal, but I don't want it to be so easy. 1 chopper is enough to ruin almost everything. I know it's fun to pilot a chopper and blablabla, but it doesn't have his place on a survival game. Personally I wouldn't be on a chopper if it was real life, I would just have a good car and a good place to stay and survive, and defend it. Sorry for the english. But whatever, it's my opinion and i'm not a game dev. I'll play no matter what.

Edited by nicolasvei

No no no no and no. Choppers or any type of flying engine ruins the game. It's too easy to find vehicles and players camps, and back to the mod, it was easy to pull 100 bullets with the heli machine gun on someone or a car. Like one of my previous post, I wrote that on my server, without helicopter, my clan's camp lasted 1 month and more. We had decent supplies and car. Nobody touched it or even found it. It was funnier to play, had a good time with my black SUV that I kept for so long. One day, we added 1 chopper to the server, and guess what, a day later, all camps on the map were destroyed by another clan on our server, and they brought back like 30-40 cars on their camp. I found their camp in the north west of the map, (it was so funny to explode all theses cars with a grenade) but still, the fact is that it's too easy. I got on the road with my SUV and they shot my wheel and I crashed on an accident the same day. When the SA will be advanced, they talked about construction and farming or whatever they want to implement. It'll be too easy for player that have bad intentions to ruin the gameplay of other players. I know it's a part of the game to kill or destroy or steal, but I don't want it to be so easy. 1 chopper is enough to ruin almost everything. I know it's fun to pilot a chopper and blablabla, but it doesn't have his place on a survival game. Personally I wouldn't be on a chopper if it was real life, I would just have a good car and a good place to stay and survive, and defend it. Sorry for the english. But whatever, it's my opinion and i'm not a game dev. I'll play no matter what.

I see what your saying but two things

1 it looks like the devs will be adding a helicopter, because of game files found, don't know right now how I feel about it

2 this is not really about helicopters but aircraft that can only carry one or two people, but I see how they could be abused, they would just need some trade off like stated above

• Like 1

If it's only aircraft to transport player and stuff, i'm okay with it. But still, it will be easy to find camps and cars. I want to fly as much as everyone, but like I said, I think it would be better to not implement any flying engine. I remember back in the days when I spend almost one day searching camps with an offroad. I found 1 camp, no tents, only 2 or 3 vehicles full of supplies at the same location in around a day of search. Took a chopper, found what, 5-6 camps in an hour with a bunch of unused cars that I could tell the locations to my clan to bring them back on our camp. Well agree or not, it's just my thoughts :P

• Like 1

I have to agree with you that using aircraft to find and raid bases or camps would be negative for the game. However, there are ways that this problem could be solved, so that we have the best of both worlds.

First and foremost, comparing ultralights to helicopters, it is much more difficult to spot things on the ground when you can't hover. Instead of tents, perhaps locked containers buried underground could be implemented. This has been suggested on other threads. There has also been rumours of underground base building, which would solve the issue.

Even if underground bases don't appear in the game, it wouldn't be too difficult to implement a door lock mechanism (like in the game Rust) so that bases can at least be secured while it's owner is away.

If it's only aircraft to transport player and stuff, i'm okay with it. But still, it will be easy to find camps and cars. I want to fly as much as everyone, but like I said, I think it would be better to not implement any flying engine. I remember back in the days when I spend almost one day searching camps with an offroad. I found 1 camp, no tents, only 2 or 3 vehicles full of supplies at the same location in around a day of search. Took a chopper, found what, 5-6 camps in an hour with a bunch of unused cars that I could tell the locations to my clan to bring them back on our camp. Well agree or not, it's just my thoughts :P

Cars could be hidden more effectively by using camouflage nets. Also, if ultralights and the prerequisite equipment and parts are difficult to find and spawned at random locations, then it'll even the odds for all players in finding one and successfully flying it.

• Like 1

More food for thought on the issue of aircraft making it easier to find bases. Even in the worst case scenario, where bases are unsecurable and easy to spot from the air, let's remember that if aircraft are rare and difficult to make airworthy, then this problem will be reduced significantly. Also, I remember that in the mod, squads were constantly using their man power to hoard vehicles and resources. Having two or three aircraft per server could potentially even the playing field, especially for lone wolf players.

• Like 1

like the idea... it should be craftable only with a hack of recources and tools needed. would love it! <3

• Like 1