Running Dayz on Mac through BootCamp

Best Operating System  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which operating system is better?

I have a Macbook Pro 15" Retina made in late 2013 with the specs as follows:

Processor  2.3 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory  16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics  Intel Iris Pro 1024 MB & 2gb NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

Software  OS X (Maverick) 10.9.1 (13B3116)

and I was curious if I installed Windows (is 7 better than 8.1?) through bootcamp, if it would run Dayz well on it?

It certainly would, I am using windows 7 64bit home premium, on a 2012 13 inch mac-book pro, I5 processor 4gb ram 1600hz, intel HD400.

I installed windows through boot camp, and i can run Dayz on low settings at a comfortable frames

Edited by Hunt3rForce
  • Like 1

I have the 8GB 13" late 2013, with integrated 5100 and use 8.1. Get about 30 fps on low/normal. So with 750M is should run like a charm.

Hi Guys,

Im using a 27" iMac 2012, i5 processor, 12gb of ram and an AMD Radeon HD 6770M graphics card.  Can anyone point me in the direction of a step by step guide to boot camping my mac as i really want to play day z.  I was planning on installing win 8 pro.  

Any feedback/ help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Macbook Pro 15" Retina made in late 2013 with the specs as follows:

Processor  2.3 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory  16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics  Intel Iris Pro 1024 MB & 2gb NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

Software  OS X (Maverick) 10.9.1 (13B3116)

and I was curious if I installed Windows (is 7 better than 8.1?) through bootcamp, if it would run Dayz well on it?

I too am running WIN7 via Bootcamp. I have 8g RAM and only 512 VRAM. I altered my settings from the wiki gamepedia page and get 35 FPS outside of cities and 20-25 FPS in cities.

Your set-up should run sweet.

Hi Guys,

Im using a 27" iMac 2012, i5 processor, 12gb of ram and an AMD Radeon HD 6770M graphics card.  Can anyone point me in the direction of a step by step guide to boot camping my mac as i really want to play day z.  I was planning on installing win 8 pro.  

Any feedback/ help would be greatly appreciated.

Simple install.

Find Bootcamp, install it. Set it up how you like w/allocations, run it. It'll ask you to insert your windows disc, do that. Install windows, done.

When you start you machine, hold down Option to choose between mac and windows drives.

If any mac users need help or want to team up pm me your skype.

Do I need to download new drivers for when win 8 pro installs?

Sorry, I'm new to pc gaming lol

If you use Bootcamp Assistant, it will offer you the option of downloading all the hardware drivers you need to a USB stick.

Install Windows first and then run the driver package from USB.

Remember to install the 64 bit version of Win 7 if you want to use more than 3.5GB of RAM.

Do I need to download new drivers for when win 8 pro installs?

Sorry, I'm new to pc gaming lol

When you install through bootcamp it will include the support software, which also includes the drivers for your various hardware, if they do not work correctly upon startup find the support software, for me i used a flash drive containing the os, in this case it was on the flashdrive (USB) under a folder called bootcamp, in there are all the support files for the drivers which you can use to manually install any that do not apply correctly. However this should not be an issue. Also if you are looking for a guide when you start the process it will ask if you want the setup guide, you can save this and either email it to open on another device or print it, however the process is really straightforward

hi im just wondering if my graphics card can handle dayz.

8GB RAM

i5 processor 

Intel Iris Pro 1024mb

Edited by iFoDdErS V

now see when I tryd running this on bootcamp when I go to get into and out of a car/pick up gear it will say error forbiddin .note: this is dayz mod and then it will just give me a gray screen till I force it to shut down

Edited by noproblem115

I have Windows 8 and it's just Windows 7 with a bunch of bullshit tacked onto the side of it. You never need to use over half the features on the computer. Go with 7, or if you don't mind the occasional headache with Skype, go 8. 

Edited by omgwtfbbq

I have a first-gen late-2012 15" MBP retina with 2.3ghz i7, 16 gig ram and 650m and it runs great. Installing windows takes a leap of faith and some googling to ensure it works correctly. But I love it. Finally can game on my computer!

Edited by Crooked Hauser

I have a first-gen late-2012 15" MBP retina with 2.3ghz i7, 16 gig ram and 650m and it runs great. Installing windows takes a leap of faith and some googling to ensure it works correctly. But I love it. Finally can game on my computer!

Hey i was wondering what kind of settings is your graphics on, or the fps your getting. I have the same specs and I'm on the fence if I want to get bootcamp and then pay for windows just to play dayz. I just want to make sure it is playable and worth it. If you could somehow add pics of gameplay you get that would be awesome thanks.

I run it fine on MBP Mid 2012 on low specs though, Frame Rate is stable and highly playable.

I run it fine on MBP Mid 2012 on low specs though, Frame Rate is stable and highly playable.

Is it a 13in or 15in because I read the 13in doesn't have a dedicated GPU and so I'm also worried about that.

Its sort of sad Mac-books have great specifications for stuff gaming wise, but are unable to play the majority of titles due to their OS....

Is it a 13in or 15in because I read the 13in doesn't have a dedicated GPU and so I'm also worried about that.

13.3' and it does get a little heated at times, but only just starting it up, settles down very quickly and gameplay is very smooth.

13.3' and it does get a little heated at times, but only just starting it up, settles down very quickly and gameplay is very smooth.

Alright sweet that has been super helpful.

Windows 8 has slightly better performance than 7.

This is what led me to choose Win 8 for my new build. Never had an issue with any program/game. The UI is easy to get used to and soon MS will release an optional Start Menu.

Edited by solodude23

Hi you all,

I bought just 2 weeks ago a 27 "imac 3,4 I5, 8 RAM and G/ 775M 2GB,

and I must admit that I only bought Window 7 just to play Dayz.

does one of you has the same spec?, how does it run by you?

personally would defiantly go with windows 7, 8 is just a PITA to navigate and without touch screen- do not see the point of it.

merely my opinion thou.

• Like 1

Hey guys, hope you still reply haha its been a while.. 

Was wondering if I would be able to run dayz on a windows 7 bootcamp with these specs.

I have a macbook bro 2011 late edition 13".

8gb RAM, intel HD graphics 3000, 512vram, intel core i5.

Thanks!

Hey guys, hope you still reply haha its been a while..

Was wondering if I would be able to run dayz on a windows 7 bootcamp with these specs.

I have a macbook bro 2011 late edition 13".

8gb RAM, intel HD graphics 3000, 512vram, intel core i5.

Thanks!

Depends on what i5, my computer is a desktop I5 -3570k and she operates better than a lot of i7s , but the mobile processors are generally very weak, the 3000 graphics will be just good enough , and your ram is plenty, the only problem is running boot camp takes up a lot of resources it seems .. So id say you're at least gonna hit 15 fps , not so sure if it would run any better than 20 though on very low graphics if that unfortunately (but that's still playable) . As my friend has the same situation by running boot camp on almost identical setup , it should at least run enough for you to play .. Maybe lots of crashes though , audio from the v3s crashes my friend unless he turns his volume down (very strange) . Id say give dayz a buy , and take the risk :) !