DayzForumer

How will flying work? Simulator or Arcade?

We'll how did they find the book ?

Even if they had found such a book how would they have the knowledge to fix and repair a broken down helicopter. Fuel such a helicopter with the special fuel helicopters need and more importantly what survivor in the right state of mind would actually attempt to fly the helicopter.

Helicopters within dayz if it continues to follow a realistic approach simply do not fit in any shape or form.

hum... i took pilot lessons for heli along with additional classes for air crewmen the books i used are on my shelf at arms reach, so if there was to be a zombie infestation, one could loot my house and get it. the instruction for controling the air craft is not hard, what is hard is figuring out air temp and wind velocity lol the rest is easy

Edited by reapers239
  • Like 1

hum... i took pilot lessons for heli along with additional classes for air crewmen the book i used are on my shelf at arms reach, so if there was to a zombie infestation, one could loot me house and get it. the instruction for controling the air is not hard, what is hard is figuring out air temp and wind velocity lol the rest is easy

Thank you :D 

I'm willing to learn complex flight procedures from ToH to fly in DayZ. Honestly, it should be as realistic and difficult as possible. Flying a helicopter is no joke, and players who learn to do it would have more existential value beyond their gear. It would be cool if they could utilize the book system in game to add a flight manual that a player literally has to read and memorize to be able to operate a helicopter. Ideally we might also see surgery and medical procedures, and vehicle maintenance based on this kind of real player knowledge. The more simulation, the better. Stupid KoS kids should have a hard time doing anything if they don't learn how. That's how it works in real life. Want to fix an engine, well you've got to learn. I mean really learn. Not some watered down, gimmicky "skill" system or anything like that. I mean actually devoting procedures to memory.

Edited by SalamanderAnder

I'm willing to learn complex flight procedures from ToH to fly in DayZ. Honestly, it should be as realistic and difficult as possible. Flying a helicopter is no joke, and players who learn to do it would have more existential value beyond their gear. It would be cool if they could utilize the book system in game to add a flight manual that a player literally has to read and memorize to be able to operate a helicopter. Ideally we might also see surgery and medical procedures, and vehicle maintenance based on this kind of real player knowledge. The more simulation, the better. Stupid KoS kids should have a hard time doing anything if they don't learn how. That's how it works in real life. Want to fix an engine, well you've got to learn. I mean really learn. Not some watered down, gimmicky "skill" system or anything like that. I mean actually devoting procedures to memory.

flying a heli is not hard sorry to burst your bubbles, the basic instruments are use to use, one read from a book will be enough. what you are calling hard are figuring it out things outside of your cockpit i can go into details but dont wanna copy and paste my whole class book

flying a heli is not hard sorry to burst your bubbles, the basic instruments are use to use, one read from a book will be enough. what you are calling hard are figuring it out things outside of your cockpit i can go into details but dont wanna copy and paste my whole class book

Lol um, okay. Take an average civilian, throw him in the cockpit, and make him fly with no prior training or without studying a manual of some sort. Have fun not even getting off the ground. All I'm saying is that it should have some degree of simulation, which naturally makes things difficult. People don't just "learn" to fly a helicopter on their own, they take pilot courses with a qualified instructor who also has control of the stick. If you actually flew helicopters, you would know that... And even still, my post is agreeing with you. Anyone can do it. However, it should be far more complicated than it is in Arma. For crying out loud, you press one button to turn on the helicopter, and the rest is just like Bf4. It simply is not that easy in reality. You have to do preflight checks. You have to start the helicopter properly. All of that takes some degree of knowledge. It would be funny to see people getting into a standalone helicopter and pressing Q repeatedly going "Y U NO WORK HELO?" I like how ToH actually has switches and panels that you have to interact with from within the helicopter. Those are things a player can easily devote to memory, but they have to take the time to do it.

I think just for kicks, helicopters in this game should have Russian control panels too. And each helicopter should have slightly different controls and panels, just like in real life. Not all helicopters are equal. You might be able to fly a little training chopper, it doesn't necessarily mean you'll be able to figure out a Hind or a Blackhawk.

Extreme realism would be best in my book. Throw any civilian in a heli that has never flown one and there will be one true result: Death. This should be reflected in game if heli's are implemented.

Lol um, okay. Take an average civilian, throw him in the cockpit, and make him fly with no training. Have fun not even getting off the ground. All I'm saying is that it should have some degree of simulation, which naturally makes things difficult. People don't just "learn" to fly a helicopter on their own, they take pilot courses with a qualified instructor who also has control of the stick. If you actually flew helicopters, you would know that... And even still, my post is agreeing with you. Anyone can do it. However, it should be far more complicated than it is in Arma. For crying out loud, you press one button to turn on the helicopter, and the rest is just like Bf4. It simply is not that easy in reality.

yep, i did take them and im telling to control it isnt hard, if you read it a training manual. Never had a hard time 

now going on to what you said about turning one button and so on by what you are asking you wan to be able to operate the whole panel, in the mod you hit Q then Q again to gain altitude thats good enough for me. keep asking for harder then we all will have to bye controllers lol

yep, i did take them and im telling to control it isnt hard, if you read it a training manual. Never had a hard time 

now going on to what you said about turning one button and so on by what you are asking you wan to be able to operate the whole panel, in the mod you hit Q then Q again to gain altitude thats good enough for me. keep asking for harder then we all will have to bye controllers lol

...Did you even watch the Take on Helicopter video? It doesn't require a controller. You just have to operate the switches and do takeoffs and pre-flight properly, otherwise you aren't going anywhere. I'm fine with basic keyboard controls while in flight, but taking off in an aircraft is not just "common sense." Have you ever seen a teenager try to drive a standard transmission car? lol.

• Like 1

It should be as complicated as RL, or at least as complicated as TOH. This is part of making DayZ a game where real-life knowledge matters, and it gives purpose to keeping individuals in your group/alive. What point is there for a clan to fight over a heli if no one knows how to fly it? Yet that one "noob" survivor that can't get off the coast even if he tried, can? Guess they can make a deal. Stuff like this is what the game needs tbh.

• Like 1

...Did you even watch the Take on Helicopter video? It doesn't require a controller. You just have to operate the switches and do takeoffs and pre-flight properly, otherwise you aren't going anywhere. I'm fine with basic keyboard controls while in flight, but taking off in an aircraft is not just "common sense." Have you ever seen a teenager try to drive a standard transmission car? lol.

yes there are helis you can just press a button and they will land by themselves. and those are few in between. i meant controllers as gaming joysticks. There three different commands to flying a heli, you pretty use your whole body. AND yes i have seen teens flying a heli, schools asks to be at least 17-18 to take the practice classes. 

Bottom line is if a person sucks a driving sure as heck he is not smart enough to even be alive in Z situation

schools asks to be at least 17-18 to take the practice classes. 

Bottom line is if a person sucks a driving sure as heck he is not smart enough to even be alive in Z situation

:facepalm:

Hence why it should be as realistic as possible. "To take practice classes." EXACTLY. Nobody is just "born" knowing how to fly a multi-million dollar aircraft, therefore people take classes. In a zombie apocalypse situation, people who don't know how to fly helicopters aren't going to get in the pilot seat and magically become expert pilots. DUH!  

That link does not tell you how to even start the engine.  

I hope that we get the same features as TKOH:

Incorrect startup sequence should result in damaged engine, and the chopper will not leave the ground.

Edited by rassad

That link does not tell you how to even start the engine.  

I hope that we get the same features as TKOH:

Incorrect startup sequence should result in damaged engine, and the chopper will not leave the ground.

Good lord you all want all that detailed? To turn on your heli you turn your key to the start position and hit the starter button. AFTER you turned the proper switches WHICH IN  manual even illustrates which ones should be done in order. The link i posted ARE THE BASIC CONTROLS OF A HELI 

but aprently you all wanna play helicopter simulator and do all the pre flight checks(search every part for any dmg, check oil and all)  then do switch everything one by one.......and when you are about to actually turn on a heli your neck is chewed by a zombie. 

In terms of controls I hope the flying remains the same as it is really well done and probably better than most flight sims. In terms of starting and stopping the helicopter each type should have the same procedures as their real life counterparts, assuming different types of heli are used in the SA like there is in the mod.

:facepalm:

Hence why it should be as realistic as possible. "To take practice classes." EXACTLY. Nobody is just "born" knowing how to fly a multi-million dollar aircraft, therefore people take classes. In a zombie apocalypse situation, people who don't know how to fly helicopters aren't going to get in the pilot seat and magically become expert pilots. DUH!  

Right so in this case no one should be able to use an M4, DMR all that high tech military stuff because they didnt have the training in the game according to your logic. Also Multi-milion helicopter?  if its not military the most expensive heli can be up to from 30.000 up to only one mil.

what you are asking for realism here for dayz is ilogical sorry.  Now if we go into RL semantics thats a different story an untrained person will even have the idea of trying to fly one because since they have no exp it will not cross their minds.

Good lord you all want all that detailed? To turn on your heli you turn your key to the start position and hit the starter button. AFTER you turned the proper switches WHICH IN  manual even illustrates which ones should be done in order. The link i posted ARE THE BASIC CONTROLS OF A HELI 

but aprently you all wanna play helicopter simulator and do all the pre flight checks(search every part for any dmg, check oil and all)  then do switch everything one by one.......and when you are about to actually turn on a heli your neck is chewed by a zombie. 

Yes. That's the point. I don't want all the noobs taking all the helicopters for the lulz. I want skill to have value, and not just with helicopters. More simulation is better. It promotes teamwork and player interaction by creating a naturally difficult environment, just like the real world.

Right so in this case no one should be able to use an M4, DMR all that high tech military stuff because they didnt have the training in the game according to your logic. Also Multi-milion helicopter?  if its not military the most expensive heli can be up to from 30.000 up to only one mil.

what you are asking for realism here for dayz is ilogical sorry.  Now if we go into RL semantics thats a different story an untrained person will even have the idea of trying to fly one because since they have no exp it will not cross their minds.

You must be fucking joking. M4, high tech? LOL. You don't need "military training" to operate a gun. You won't accidentally kill yourself in a giant fireball if you aren't that good at shooting a gun. You point it, and pull the trigger. That's the basic operation for any firearm. A CHILD can learn to use a sniper rifle. It is not a complex machine with hundreds of moving parts and complex electronics like a helicopter. I've taught a seven year old girl to shoot a handgun in a matter of minutes. You're might as well compare apples to helicopters.

Not to mention, the guns in the game already function realistically. If you suck at shooting, then you won't hit your target in the game. Just like if you suck at using a helicopter, you'll probably crash it or not even get it off the ground. That's logic. And for the record, I DO want A.C.E type sniping with scope adjustment, windage, elevation, all that. It should take skill to hit a target 800m away. It's just realistic.

child-topper-jpg.jpg

Now I challenge you to show me a child flying a helicopter. PLEASE, make my fucking day.

what you are asking for realism here for dayz is ilogical sorry. 

I guess it works like inTOH. They use an improved version of the TOH engine.

It is wanted from a big part of the community. See nothing illogical here.

so you all want check lists and pre flight checks in dayz? ok i rest my case, sure as heck it will be funny see you guys dying before you even start the engine then ill come along steal it from you lol

also any child that has been in contact with anything from a young age will know how to operate something. that pic you posted is in africa or somewhere similar now give a that rifle to a kid who never had any contact with it and tell me if they operate. You asked for an example of someone who knew to fly at young age. I did my uncle is currently retired from the air force back in the days he would take to fly and taught me basics. 

so you all want check lists and pre flight checks in dayz? ok i rest my case, sure as heck it will be funny see you guys dying before you even start the engine then ill come along steal it from you lol

also any child that has been in contact with anything from a young age will know how to operate something. that pic you posted is in africa or somewhere similar now give a that rifle to a kid who never had any contact with it and tell me if they operate. You asked for an example of someone who knew to fly at young age. I did my uncle is currently retired from the air force back in the days he would take to fly and taught me basics. 

I live in America, I used to work at a gun range for two years, and I've seen (and directly taught) literally thousands of kids learn to shoot a gun for the first time. It is not a comparable skill to flying a helicopter. Not by a long shot. Most children wouldn't even be physically able to fly, because their feet wouldn't reach the pedals. Let's keep digging this hole, by all means.

And for the record, there are more guns in America than in Africa. We have the highest rate of gun death of any developed nation.

Hopefully we never find out and they never include helicopters.

Kinda idiotic to think a rag tag group of survivors would not only be able to pilot a helicopter but also provide maintenance.

They should keep motor vehicles and manual forms of transportation such as bicycles. No choppers.

Helicopters are fun so I wouldn't really mind sacrificing some sacred realism to have them in the game. However, it would be cool as shit if Helicopters were about as complex in game as they are in the DCS flight simulators, having a complicated as shit cold start sequence before they can even take off.

People will actually need to train for piloting in Day Z, which would be quite hilarious.

ah so you were a gun instructors? really i am a former US army want more of my credentials?  you taught kids to shoot targets at short range, fine but dont compare kids where grew up in war regions having as second nature how to freaking range find targets and say any kid can do that.

mind you i never said kids could fly a heli, i mentioned teenagers, late ones at that.... do you really want to know what is hard to fly a heli im gonna quote my instructor. " any dumb ass can fly a chopper, but to really pilot it is a different story" MEANING the controls are easy calculating the wind speed, figuring out the altitude just by eyes  and knowing whats your dead man´s curve is the hard part.