Hunt3rForce

Suggestion: Identification

Standalone Suggestion  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see something similar to this within the standalone game?

Hello,

So I have been playing Dayz standalone since the day it became available to me on steam. I have been having a lot of fun, and spend most of my time playing with friends, and have come across the problem of identification. Sometimes identifying another player, not associated with your group, can be easy. Other times it can be a bit hard, and i find my self extremely paranoid/worried that I have stumbled across another player who may be hostile. Personally I am not in the habit of killing people on sight, rather i prefer to avoid them if possible and simply deter them from advancing towards me with the threat of a shootout. Dayz features the ability to customize your player and more often than not people end up looking relatively the same, wearing an off shade of green camo, a gas mask/biker helmet/military helmet, and a large backpack of varying color. Because of the general preference to not look like a street cone people avoid the orange raincoats, which are the only article of clothing which it is easy identify a player. So this for me sparked the idea i have spent the last few lines leading up to.

IDEA. 

An interesting feature the game could allow for would be the ability to wear identifying arm bands. We have all seen it the resistance wearing the red arm band. However for simplicity's sake i believe this could be done using the already implemented object of the headband. These headbands already come on a variety of appearances and allowing a player to equip them onto their arm would allow for one to identify someone they are teemed up with, a simply glance at the player, are they wearing a yellow/blue/red band or not?. However this does not mean the player is safe, an observant bandit could simply equip a matching arm band and mix himself in with the crowd.

Thank you for reading my suggestion.

Hunt3rForce

Feel free to leave a comment below,      :)

Let me know what you think, I am open to criticism.

(even if its to tell me "great idea" or "that is stupid")

• Like 13

If there was a very large variety of them I'd think it'd be cool.

Maybe even break a pen over a rag to get a coloured rag to tie around somewhere?

Also, if they could be placed on any limb. So in a group you're all wearing 2 brown armbands and 2 black rags around your legs.

as long as it's not a generic armband color thing. get creative, personally, i'd love to type a bandanna to the end stock of my mosin.

something unique, as we change our clothes so quickly here, or not at all in some cases.

• Like 1

Yes! Fully customisable emblems like in bf4! 

Haha jk, nice idea though. I like the idea of having an armband or around the stock of your weapon or something.

I guess the easiest way to apply it it is to take a t-shirt, tear it into rags and to apply the coloured rag to your sleeve. It gives enough variation for multiple teams but not so much that a bandit could not infiltrate a team.

I still want a medical armband though. It might save my life.

I think identification papers containing your kills time alive and humanity , name etc would be better , but nice idea

• Like 2

I think identification papers containing your kills time alive and humanity , name etc would be better , but nice idea

How about just a wallet? You use it like books, and you have an ID inside with your name and photo.

These ideas certainly would be interesting, but I am hoping for something that allows you to identify your friends should you be playing in a group. However it would be interesting, to handcuff/restrain a player, and you may then decide to kill them or steal their stuff based on their record displayed there.

I feel this is part of the game, not really knowing. So you gotta communicate with your friends like "Is that you coming up on the right of me?" or "Are you going into the Red Building?" Etc etc.

Communication is key, but the whole not knowing is something I like, means you gotta make sure you work together with the people you play, let them know where you are where you are going etc etc.

I feel this is part of the game, not really knowing. So you gotta communicate with your friends like "Is that you coming up on the right of me?" or "Are you going into the Red Building?" Etc etc.

Communication is key, but the whole not knowing is something I like, means you gotta make sure you work together with the people you play, let them know where you are where you are going etc etc.

I completely agree, its a very important aspect of the game. However what i think makes this idea so useful is that it requires everyone in the group to have a matching arm band, and since they would be objects someone else could just as easily stumble upon one, and fit right in. Depending upon the scenario you may not have time to check for an armband, or they may be turned away not allowing you to draw a line of sight to it. I do not think such a system would completely remove the requirement for voice communication between friends, however i think it would create more cohesive and distinguishable groups.

i can see it happening as a crafting item, since we make rags. also we could use bucket of paints to dye them and so on. 

i can see it happening as a crafting item, since we make rags. also we could use bucket of paints to dye them and so on. 

Yeah, it would make sense, to accompany the base building they inevitably wish to add. Which may also be where something like the paint may com into play, however i do not think people would be too keen on finding cans of paint or dye instead of beans, especially early game

I completely agree, its a very important aspect of the game. However what i think makes this idea so useful is that it requires everyone in the group to have a matching arm band, and since they would be objects someone else could just as easily stumble upon one, and fit right in. Depending upon the scenario you may not have time to check for an armband, or they may be turned away not allowing you to draw a line of sight to it. I do not think such a system would completely remove the requirement for voice communication between friends, however i think it would create more cohesive and distinguishable groups.

This is true, As long as it is not too customizable like making your own emblem. Simple colors would do. Maybe even spray your balistic helmet a certain color (if you use the helmet of course) Seeing as SprayPaint is going to be added (I think it is) It's a cool idea. Maybe limit it too bright green and colors that might hinder your ability to blend in with the envoirment so you would only use it when moving in a town for easy identification of your friends, but have to remeber to take it off once you are out and back into the woods?

Squad.xml logo onto the armband/headband/shirt sleeve would be a good idea.

This is true, As long as it is not too customizable like making your own emblem. Simple colors would do. Maybe even spray your balistic helmet a certain color (if you use the helmet of course) Seeing as SprayPaint is going to be added (I think it is) It's a cool idea. Maybe limit it too bright green and colors that might hinder your ability to blend in with the envoirment so you would only use it when moving in a town for easy identification of your friends, but have to remeber to take it off once you are out and back into the woods?

Once again you are par for the course, the ability to create emblems works well for certain games, however it also creates the possibility of mis-use as well as potentially marginalizing the solo player. With the advent of spray paint i could imagine the ability to simply spray something of a solid color, or perhaps a rough camo pattern. I do not imagine there will be a lot of highlighter colors due to the fact that it will clash with the games current asthetic.

Once again you are par for the course, the ability to create emblems works well for certain games, however it also creates the possibility of mis-use as well as potentially marginalizing the solo player. With the advent of spray paint i could imagine the ability to simply spray something of a solid color, or perhaps a rough camo pattern. I do not imagine there will be a lot of highlighter colors due to the fact that it will clash with the games current asthetic.

That is true. Seems like a neat idea however. Could be interesting to see how it plays out. I mean the spraypaint has to be used for something right? I don't think we'll be able to paint walls with it :P

I'm more than sure more types of clothing are on their way.

This i do not doubt, however I'm unsure of what is on the way specifically and think something like this would be a nice addition.

I love the idea, thought about this myself. The coding to update some of the items already in game is not difficult to implement. Actually adding an armband would be more time intensive then simply allowing a user to change the color off specific items through some variation of the already in place "crafting" system. I.e. broken pens etc as suggested. I think this should be done in some version regardless.