altimor

Oculus Rift = Pay2Win

Funny how they trained us in the army to shoot both eyes open, with iron sights. Especially if it is impossible. It's pretty hard, but that's how they trained us.

Not to say that OP is right, he most certainly is not, but still.

Edited by csharp
  • Like 1

When I shoot in DayZ, I almost always use my crosshair if I can. Why? Because the iron sights block my vision. I was having a conversation with a "friend" (actually I hate him and he sucks) about that being unrealistic. In real life, my other eye would let me see what's behind the sights.

Then I realized that the Oculus Rift would allow you to do just that... for a price. Why is this blatant pay2win allowed?

This is the new Dayz crowd......I want to cry :(

• Like 1

...did he just say he could see behind his iron sights when he uses both his eyes???

He's a chameleon :D

If I upgrade my computer in order to play with higher frames, is this considered Pay to Win?

This.

For now, good computer that allows you to have decent frames is the only pay 2 win.

Funny how they trained us in the army to shoot both eyes open, with iron sights. Especially if it is impossible. It's pretty hard, but that's how they trained us.

Not to say that OP is right, he most certainly is not, but still.

Hmm, I was a competetive shooter for many years. And never ever in all that time did I see another shooter that aimed with both eyes. I guess if you can't aim for shit anyway, whats the difference? But when you are competetive you don't aim with both your eyes becaus you will lose.

I cant actually believe I read a post here with someone begging to be forced down to 15FPS.  if this game ever ran at 15 id call it unplayable and quit..  that's nuts. 

As for the closing one eye while aiming down the sights being realistic comment.  That's crazy.  Im in the military,  realistic is shooting with both eyes open at all times.  I always qualify expert hitting between 38-40 of 40 targets. and have never once closed my non dominant eye.  Im trying to keep in mind this is a game so either way your only going to see out of the one eye while shooting, (unless you have an OR or some other expensive bifocal optical realism device that I don't)  , and moreso you probably have no practical field experience with an M4 shooting with iron sights anyhow.

Edited by UFGatorsDM

its not aiming with both eyes,  you only aim with your dominant eye. keeping your other eye open allows a smoother transition to scanning your AO for other targets in between engaging and as well, reducing stress on your eye that would be experienced if squinting with the non dominant eye (your dominant eye would squint to some extent to)  

but these are all conversations for another place regardless,  this isn't the shoothouse thread.

I just got myself a $900 PC... went from 30 fps on min settings to 40 - 70 on ultra...

EDIT : What inception said.

900$ PC and you can run it on ultra with decent FPS? I got a 1500$ PC and i can barely get 50 on lowest, DAMN YOU BOHEMIA AND YOUR ENGINE

900$ PC and you can run it on ultra with decent FPS? I got a 1500$ PC and i can barely get 50 on lowest, DAMN YOU BOHEMIA AND YOUR ENGINE

2400 USD rig here. Running at 40 FPS in the woods and 19 FPS in towns. Fucking epic I tell you  >:(

This is the new Dayz crowd......I want to cry :(

This kind of Genre always attracts people that are not so.. uuuhm ... smart ^^

• Like 1

its not aiming with both eyes,  you only aim with your dominant eye. keeping your other eye open allows a smoother transition to scanning your AO for other targets in between engaging and as well, reducing stress on your eye that would be experienced if squinting with the non dominant eye (your dominant eye would squint to some extent to)  

but these are all conversations for another place regardless,  this isn't the shoothouse thread.

There is a small percentage of the population that has central, or middle vision (no eye is dominant), which indeed allows them to aim with both eyes. Of course, that is not owl-vision like the OP suggested.

With a red dot i can have a perfect ambient view with both open eyes, with the iron sight it's more difficoult for me, i need to close one eye so there are differences i don't know if they are possible to put it in the game...

The red dot i have on the m4 in the SA takes around the 50% of the screen and i dislake that... 

as for the pay2win thing, my rig it's I7 and a 780 nothing overclocked and on some normal some high settings the average fpses are 50 and more then 30 in cities, just disable some useless effects and the job is done. As soon as the new oculus rift comes out with an hd screen i'll take it! I'd love to lean my head and peak around corners without have to push any botton.

Edited by ErDanese

UFGatorsDM got it right.

Aiming with both eyes open is always the preferred method in the field and that's what you are taught in the army etc.
It is kinda tradeoff between better view through the sights and peripheral vision. (You really want to see what is going on around you and your target)
Also, as stated closing one eye really stresses the shit out of your eyes, especially in low light conditions.

It is hard to focus at first and and shooting past 100m really ties your brain to a knot but you get used to it.
And ofc this is a bit different from competitive shooting, sharpshooting etc. where you don't have to worry about someone jumping up from the bush and putting you full of holes.

In the game, while wielding an assault rifle it pretty much represents aiming with both eyes, since if you'd be doing it with only one eye, the rear sight would pretty much fill your whole screen. Now you can actually see around the rifle a bit, althou a lot better than irl. =)

• Like 2

Here's how an Oculus would work for iron sights in text format.

Normal rendering

] | [

Stereo Rendering

] | [     ] | [

Crossing your eyes to see things up close while stereo rendering

]| [] |[

Hope that helps you get a better understand OP. Stereo rendering in theory works just like your eyes do. You get double vision for objects close by and when you cross your eyes to look at them you get a three dimensional perspective.

Edited by mrscratch

If I upgrade my computer in order to play with higher frames, is this considered Pay to Win?

Pretty much I think Dayz should lock in medium settings for everyone and not allow people to reduce detail, remove grass, and limit some options that would give them an advantage.

Force them to upgrade so everyone gets the same experience.

Pretty much I think Dayz should lock in medium settings for everyone and not allow people to reduce detail, remove grass, and limit some options that would give them an advantage.

Force them to upgrade so everyone gets the same experience.

I thought there was talk about a system in place to stop users tampering with graphics to get an unfair advantage?

I thought there was talk about a system in place to stop users tampering with graphics to get an unfair advantage?

This would be amazing game badly needs it.

Oh boy, I get to use this for the second time today.

not-sure-if-trolling-or-just-stupid.jpg

You're aware that TrackIr has been around since Arma 1 and that allows you to turn your head independently of your mouse movement.... Right? Could call that pay2win as well.

• Like 1

Well, what are your specs? Wait, let me guess : you bought a PC right? Well, I built mine. i5-4670k, GTX 770 with 8GB of 1600-Ram and a SSD... for less then 1k. I bet if you were to buy my PC in retail I'd cost you 2k.

I play the game maxed out between 40 fps in cities and 70 in the wilderness... That is without modding the configs.

It's called consoles, look it up.

Glorious-PC-masterrace for the win! Away with these filthy and unworthy casual console peasants!

Edited by Weparo