Sign in to follow this  
osc

We need tents!

Tents would be absolutely useless at the moment and would only ad to server instability at the current time...  Also, with DB wipes that will most likely happen frequently and being able to gear so easily, tents/storage are not a priority imo.

Maybe when the loot tables are fixed and other bugs/features on the priority list are fixed/done, then tents will be thought about.

Completely support - here's my two(thousand) cents.

I came to the standalone with no experience of DayZ. I'm currently on my fourth ever player - with a total of 12 hours play time... Seven hours of that is on this last player. I'm fully kitted out - or as much as I can be at the moment and have nothing to strive for.

I don't want to kill off my character - as the game is about surviving... But there's little to do at the moment. Adding a form of persistent storage would make a huge difference - with minimal coding. (Okay, it takes some work, but other features to make late-game more interesting would require more features and more work.)

Tents are integral - no one in real life or in the game would want to, in this situation, spend all of their time walking around with no shelter (in freezing Russia...) with only the stuff they can carry on them. Having some form of base is a necessity - and while some may argue 'lol, I just use a building as a base,' it doesn't fix the problem of stuff actually staying somewhere other than your bag.

With the addition of tents and similar things, it becomes possible for a 'fully persistent loot system' to at least be trialled - with the addition of hunting, crafting and the likes, I think it's fairly likely that at some point, the DayZ team will consider making something close to that.

So, if they add tents ASAP, it means I can strive to store food and weapons in there - so I have every weapon available to me and can stock up on food and drink to keep myself alive. I have somewhere to head to at the end of each game and somewhere to protect. I have the problem of finding the perfect place - and setting up a base with a team. I can go specifically looking for places to raid. Tents add a huge amount of playability - with (again) a relatively small amount of work. They should be a fairly large priority - especially with the current state of the game.

The only thing I would say to be wary of with tents is bug abuse. They should be watched very carefully to prevent things like tents being placed in normally inaccessible spots and underwater or whatever.

The question of constant resets and the likes is completely irrelevant with how quickly someone with the know-how can rack up a full inventory even with the best possible gear. As I said, I've played DayZ for twelve hours total, having never played the mod - and I still found it fairly easy to get to this point.

If a freezing kind of function were added to the game, which I see fairly likely with the descriptions of things like gas stoves, which mention heat and the idea of adding camp fires, etc, tents could be used to shelter from the cold - with one or two more pitched nearby for storage. Obviously tents would need to be limited to maybe two or three per player, but that wouldn't cause too much of a hit, I don't think - assuming they require some upkeep so they can't just be pitched and used forever - even after death.

TlDr;

Tents are vital. Shh.

Edited by Isaaq
  • Like 2

Protector case + shovel = buried goodies.

Anything wrong with this idea?

• Like 1

Caches should be for storage, tents for getting out of the weather IMO.
I have mixed feelings about base building.  I tended to wander around the woods, hunting for food and drinking water from ponds in the mod.  I did have a spot I called my camp, but it was usually just where I parked my vehicle and maybe kept a tent with backup gear (typically the basics, binos, matches, a hatchet, and a hunting knife.)
I can see the draw of building a big clan stronghold, but with all the buildings added in the new map, I'm already missing the big expanses of wilderness I had in the mod.

I don't think tents are the actual point of what most people are saying here... People want the functionality of tents in the mod...

We need some kind of extra storage which is persistent - though tents for getting out of the weather would also be nice.

Tents are good for storage though... If you could have multiple (but limited to no more than maybe three per player) it could be used for both. Most people who have been camping for an extended period of time know that a storage tent is a must.

Edited by Isaaq

Caches should be for storage, tents for getting out of the weather IMO.

I have mixed feelings about base building.  I tended to wander around the woods, hunting for food and drinking water from ponds in the mod.  I did have a spot I called my camp, but it was usually just where I parked my vehicle and maybe kept a tent with backup gear (typically the basics, binos, matches, a hatchet, and a hunting knife.)

I can see the draw of building a big clan stronghold, but with all the buildings added in the new map, I'm already missing the big expanses of wilderness I had in the mod.

I agree. And as another mentioned about crafting caches would make sense. Yeah I already miss some of the forests in the mod version. Right now I'm camped out in a random thicket and I don't feel all that safe. Ideally my goal if when loot becomes persistent and if we can craft caches is to simply work with other soloists, provide a location of our caches and keep them restocked and supplied while we watch this game progress.

I believe that the loot is eventually going to become completely persistent, in that you don't need a tent to store items you can just find a memorable and hidden spot to store your stuff.

I would much rather have this than tents and player "cities".

Tents are seriously the last thing you want to implement in this game before loot respawning is sorted out and server hopping is somewhat reduced. As bad as server hopping is right now people can only equip one character, that means a maximum of two rifles and about 60 slots worth of loot. The moment you add tents people will make it their full time jobs to set up tents to fill up with meaningless loot, server hopping with no risk as they'll just leave their stash in the tents.

Tents can come much later.

i would say that tents would have to be a rare item as well, that way the hording can be controlled

i would say that tents would have to be a rare item as well, that way the hording can be controlled

Tents are meant to be rare anyway - but rare items aren't particularly hard to find.

The way to control hoarding would be to limit the number of tents someone can have... But is hoarding really a problem?

Edited by Isaaq

yeah we do need tents, once things are more stable for the servers they will added it. But then when they add it they better make loot harder to get cause ppl will have horded a bunch of crap lol

People are going to hoard no matter what the developers do. Loot scarcity encourages hoarding. I say this as a chronic hoarder. Making crap harder to get is just going to make those who are so inclined that much more desperate to put it somewhere safe.

Base-building is an integral part of DayZ, it could be argued. You seem to be suggesting that implementing tents for bug-testing is a bad idea.

I agree with that first statement. However, I also agree with something another poster said about tents being more for shelter than for storage - tents the size of the ones in the vanilla game are not going to have the sort of storage capacity they did then, if you look at it realistically. Tents could perhaps be added with a small inventory as a rest/shelter structure, which can be repacked and reclaimed once placed? I'm waiting for the implementation of bases (veteran Origins player, and it was the element that drew me to that particular version of the mod), and I can see tents easily being used as an early, temporary implementation for the purpose of finding bugs with building stages/storage/save states.

Again though, having said that - I would love to see pre-existing buildings become claimable, rather than or perhaps with the same sort of base placement as in Origins. Player chooses a house they like, drops their crap in its storage spaces, starts barricading it. Barricades change the state of a house to a base, preventing loot from spawning in it and saving the inventory state of its contents. Barricades are permanent, but can be torn down by players or roaming zombies - basically meaning that a person making a base in a city will have to maintain it or lose it to inactivity. Doors are lockable once the appropriate items are found to create a lock/passcode. Once barricades are destroyed, the owner of a pre-existing house has a day or two to replace the barricade before the house lock becomes destructible, then another day to reclaim their crap if it hasn't been looted before the house returns to its template state.

so it seems like everybody wants some "persistant gear storage" which will be present after death. whats the point then? this removes the already small fear of death completely. i know most ppl want easy mode but hoarding isn't fun. hoarding is total bullshit, it's just a cheap way to keep players busy and should not be a goal in dayz. provide something better to do. you die, all your stuff is gone.

Actually the vehicles are in.. you can drive them.. they just won't let us do it :)

Excuse me, let me rephrase that so people don't get the wrong idea.

The vehicles are present in the game files but do not spawn in game.

Edited by raynor009

A lot of great idea and support in this thread. Looks like the general consensus is that tents (or some form of storage) needs to be implemented sooner rather than later.

Tents are meant to be rare anyway - but rare items aren't particularly hard to find.

The way to control hoarding would be to limit the number of tents someone can have... But is hoarding really a problem?

in the mod i could easly find 2-3 tents in one go in cherno, lets say 1-2 twice a week, but on a daily run i could find at least one, that added that we were driving, so no tents werent hard to find in the mod.

Also item hoarding i dont see a problem, since its what survival is about, but there should a hard aspect to it, in the mod once we got our base going you dye, have a buddy come pick you up and either go loot your body or go to camp. What I am trying to say is that there should be a balance, like for example going back to tent for resupply VS looting towns. 

They could also add that tents have a life span, like we have on items right now but more related to weather conditions, and off course we could lock it if someone passes by and has a knife or something sharp he/she could it open steal the stuff and also ruin the tent 

Edited by reapers239

in the mod i could easly find 2-3 tents in one go in cherno, lets say 1-2 twice a week, but on a daily run i could find at least one, that added that we were driving, so no tents werent hard to find in the mod.

Also item hoarding i dont see a problem, since its what survival is about, but there should a hard aspect to it, in the mod once we got our base going you dye, have a buddy come pick you up and either go loot your body or go to camp. What I am trying to say is that there should be a balance, like for example going back to tent for resupply VS looting towns. 

They could also add that tents have a life span, like we have on items right now but more related to weather conditions, and off course we could lock it if someone passes by and has a knife or something sharp he/she could it open steal the stuff and also ruin the tent 

Ehh, reading the wiki, it said they were rare. I never played the Mod - and did state so at some point in the forum, I'm sure. But my point is that they should be anyway. I wasn't disagreeing with you.

I feel like maybe the best way to handle tents would be disallowing players who die to open the tent again... So, if they die, anyone else can get into the tent, like always, but it's locked off to them - but is removed from their count so they cane make a new one and start again. This would take more work - and could be implemented later on, but tents DO need to be added asap.

I agree with the life span thing - though you should be able to repair them - and the lock idea is a nice one for other forms of storage - but I don't think makes a lot of sense with a tent specifically - just about anything can cut through one if you try hard enough.

Actually the vehicles are in.. you can drive them.. they just won't let us do it  :)

Excuse me, let me rephrase that so people don't get the wrong idea.

The vehicles are present in the game files but do not spawn in game.

The files are most likely completely incomplete... Nice little idiom there. I'm sure that if vehicles were actually usable at the moment, they'd be rolling them out... The alpha is for testing - testing for the testing doesn't make much sense, if you catch my drift - I very much doubt their particularly close to being finished.

so it seems like everybody wants some "persistant gear storage" which will be present after death. whats the point then? this removes the already small fear of death completely. i know most ppl want easy mode but hoarding isn't fun. hoarding is total bullshit, it's just a cheap way to keep players busy and should not be a goal in dayz. provide something better to do. you die, all your stuff is gone.

Pointed out a solution to this above... And most people aren't talking about persistence after death. Though it SHOULD be persistent (with a way like I suggested to avoid abuse) after death, the main focus at the moment is adding the ability to use it as a base. It's not easy mode. It's realistic.

Are you seriously going to tell me that people can't store stuff in real life? I could put stuff in the middle of the woods and until someone stumbled across it, it would stay there. There's no way to store stuff in game at the moment - and saying that adding one is making the game too easy or ANYTHING along those lines is pretty damn ridiculous honestly. Hoarding would be a goal in this situation with any ounce of realism - and as DayZ is a simulator, I think realism, even in a basic form is something they strive for. Not having any solution to storing stuff (or no plans to add it, which is what you seem to want) is, as I said already, frankly idiotic.

Oh, and with the way things are looking, there would be no reason to stop people being able to go back to tents after they die - because once the game is running at the level that the game designers want, they'll have to gear up a lot to reach the north, where their tent would likely be, due to the much higher number of zombies and such.

Edited by Isaaq

I think a key point of this discussion is being missed.

Tents for storage is a Mod consideration. Its expectation of mod functionality from the Stand-Alone.

What I expect from tents is shelter from the elements...and I also expect elements that we need to shelter from. Ergo....wandering around without proper clothing during a snowstorm...you get the idea.

Tents for "storage" are kind of a secondary point in the primary survival concern. Cause survival and hoarding are two very different things, tents for storage supports hoarding, tents for shelter supports survival.

I would rather see the ability to bury small caches of supplies than yet another situation in of which servers get overrun with tent placements for the simple purposes of stacking up loot in them. In a true atmosphere of survival hoarding is a simple impossibility because you can only guarantee that you will ever have what you can carry cause all it takes to lose your hoard is a few people that know about it that are more capable in keeping you away from it, than you are in keeping them away from it.

I'd rather see tents as a backpack upgrade which simply allows for weather shelter and perhaps minor sleep healing than seeing tents used for storage at all.

• Like 1

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. Mine is that storage is a necessity in a survival/PvP game if you ever want to get to the point where you can consistently PvP. Hoarding encourages raiding. If you don't like it, don't do it. Easy as that.

That being said, if the feature doesn't make it into the original game I imagine someone will eventually mod the content in anyway. No big deal either way.