Sign in to follow this  
Benlandia

Figuring out who to trust

This formula is not foolproof at all, but is generally a good indication of who to trust in the game. This comes from playing countless hours in both the mod and the alpha.

People Who Don't Have A Microphone - Don't trust them. Something to be said about not being able to gauge their tenor or maturity level. I've met players with microphones whose voices were quavering, they sounded very nervous. Without these telltale signs you don't know what kind of person they are. There are exceptions to be made but it's rare.

Microphone Users Under the Age of 16 - DO NOT TRUST. These players have bad news written all over them. Something about the younger generation being ingrained in the troll culture. I have never met a young player talking on voice comms who didn't try to gain my trust and murder me or just shoot outright and call for a truce. They tend to travel in packs.

Microphone Users Over the Age of 16 - Use your discretion. I've found that the older a player sounds the more likely he is to be friendly. I've also had plenty of older players try to kill me as well. Try to ascertain what kind of player they are by dialogue and remember that a showing of trust (like putting your weapon away) may get you killed, or may net you a pretty good road companion.

Groups of 2 - If they are well equipped they may try to kill you just to defend their friends. I've joined several groups of two to make a group of three. I've also been hunted by groups of two. If you can creep in close enough to where they are looting to talk to them, follow the previous guidelines and stay hidden for as long as you can. Try to keep BOTH of them in your sights, often one will try to talk to you in plain sight while the other loops around to get a shot on you. If you think this is happening, back out or hide and cut off communication.

Groups of 3 or More - Do not bother. They are likely not looking to make new friends. Don't even bother fighting them if your alone as they are likely using Skype or Teamspeak and have a major advantage.

Feel free to add or comment, just thought this was pretty pertinent.

• Like 2

So far I've met one really cool guy, a couple "back away slowly from each other", and the rest were completely hostile.  Some gave me warning and at least told me to put my hands up.  The rest shot me on sight.  One guy even set up a clever ambush with a fireaxe and I had a fully loaded M4.  Lucky him...

The one cool guy was completely decked out, and I was a fresh spawn running through the woods.  He actually gave me a .45 with a full magazine.  That character became my longest lived character to date (and coincidentally the one who was ambushed by the axe guy).  Whoever that guy was, you sir are awesome.

I've ran into a couple unarmed but well geared players (backpacks, helmets, etc).  I don't shoot these guys on sight.  I told the one guy "it's cool, I'm just looking for food" and we went our separate ways.

Pretty much everyone in a military base is guaranteed to be a douchebag on site.  

Honestly though, trust no one.  My buddy spared a guy who had no weapon, and he could have easily chopped him up.  But the guy actually ran around until he found a weapon, and killed my buddy.  Pretty lame...but still part of what makes DayZ unique.

• Like 1

Something else to say regarding the group of 2 rule.  Watch out for what they don't say.  Ran into a group yesterday wherein I only saw one guy.  Then as I was speaking to him he kept getting closer to me and I always kept something between me and him. Soon enough I saw the barrel of a second M4 around a wall I had vacated not 5 seconds earlier.  The guy never mentioned a seocnd person.  Once I saw that they had blown all trust with me and I bugged out.  Not sure if I dodged a bullet or an opportunity but all the same best to stay wary. 

Dont trust anyone with a weapon basically

I've had plenty of great encounters with people who had weapons. It really depends on the player.

Pretty much everyone in a military base is guaranteed to be a douchebag on site.  

The best experience I've had is meeting someone at Balota getting shot at by a douchebag.

dont turst anybody that the only rule

Your spelling and mantra make me believe you fall under the second category.

Microphone Users Over the Age of 16 - Use your discretion. I've found that the older a player sounds the more likely he is to be friendly. I've also had plenty of older players try to kill me as well. Try to ascertain what kind of player they are by dialogue and remember that a showing of trust (like putting your weapon away) may get you killed, or may net you a pretty good road companion.

Okay... 11 months ago, the day before I turned 16 I was an asshole. I killed everything I could get near. Wohoo KoS!...

Then... The next I was suddenly changed. I didn't feel like shooting anyone...

Eeeeeh.. No?

• Like 1

Microphone Users Under the Age of 16 - DO NOT TRUST. These players have bad news written all over them. Something about the younger generation being ingrained in the troll culture. I have never met a young player talking on voice comms who didn't try to gain my trust and murder me or just shoot outright and call for a truce. They tend to travel in packs.

I hate fucks like these. If they miss while trying to shoot you in the back they run around and scream "DONT KILL ME DONT KILL ME DONT KILL ME"

I've had plenty of great encounters with people who had weapons. It really depends on the player.

The best experience I've had is meeting someone at Balota getting shot at by a douchebag.

Wow abusive person.

And what catergory do you fall under? Old Dickhead who still lives with he's mom?

Edited by Jaygoon

I trust anyone that sees me first and calls out to me. One guy was asking for a bandage, another guy just wandered up behind me and said hi lol. Other than them I trusted the guy I watched walking around Elektro. He was literally just walking, very calmly. We ended up in the same building and he could hear me on the 3rd floor eat and we had a laugh. Then he let me take 4 blood bags from him, which almost killed him, but I gave him an IV to heal him. I tested his blood, he took a syringe of mine and then the server had a reset and we vanished.

I don't trust anyone at bases or airfields. They are always bad news.

I have a mic but since I moved I have not found it, your first post hits home with me. I need to find it. I am really at a disadvantage without being able to talk. Typing keeps my hands occupied too much.

This formula is not foolproof at all, but is generally a good indication of who to trust in the game. This comes from playing countless hours in both the mod and the alpha.

People Who Don't Have A Microphone - Don't trust them. Something to be said about not being able to gauge their tenor or maturity level. I've met players with microphones whose voices were quavering, they sounded very nervous. Without these telltale signs you don't know what kind of person they are. There are exceptions to be made but it's rare.

Groups of 2 - If they are well equipped they may try to kill you just to defend their friends. I've joined several groups of two to make a group of three. I've also been hunted by groups of two. If you can creep in close enough to where they are looting to talk to them, follow the previous guidelines and stay hidden for as long as you can. Try to keep BOTH of them in your sights, often one will try to talk to you in plain sight while the other loops around to get a shot on you. If you think this is happening, back out or hide and cut off communication.

Groups of 3 or More - Do not bother. They are likely not looking to make new friends. Don't even bother fighting them if your alone as they are likely using Skype or Teamspeak and have a major advantage.

Feel free to add or comment, just thought this was pretty pertinent.

you found out this rules? like a science study?ß

sry but all those "rules" are bullshit. "dont trust ppl with no microphone???" LOL? pls...

u cant generalize ppl.

and how the hell to hell if someone "sound" over 16? apart from the ppl who shoot u on sight without talking.

the only rule is trust nobody

oh and dont suppose every1 can speak and write english perfect. its an international forum. rly ignorant

Edited by Lauri7x3
  • Like 1

Wow abusive person.

And what catergory do you fall under?

I'm 25 and have gotten tired of the Kill on Sight philosophy. I generally try to make friends with anyone on the road, and if they seem hostile I just move on quietly. Only have been forced to kill once in the last week. That being said, I've died a few times from being trusting, but have met some pretty cool people too.

I'm 25 and have gotten tired of the Kill on Sight philosophy. I generally try to make friends with anyone on the road, and if they seem hostile I just move on quietly. Only have been forced to kill once in the last week. That being said, I've died a few times from being trusting, but have met some pretty cool people too.

..And you like to generalize and stereotype.

What a nice person you must be. ;)

Last nite I saved some dude from 2 zombies. He had nice gear but no melee or guns. I had 2 pistols and a m4. I axed the zombies and he thanked me thru keyboard. I spoke on mic he understood me. He thanked me and said goodluck and took off very quickly. I chased him down and told him not to fear me I got a pistol for him. He turned around and ran over. I told him to stop. I dropped the pistol like 50 meters out and told him goodluck.

Im a rare player... you can trust me... dont mean I trust YOU.

I dont plan on being that friendly on the regular.

I will not be a bandit nor will I be the hero. Im the anti hero, right in the middle of good and bad.

Edited by Infamous201x

you found out this rules? like a science study?ß

sry but all those "rules" are bullshit. u cant generalize ppl.

and how the hell to hell if someone "sound" over 16? apart from the ppl who shoot u on sight without talking.

the only rule is trust nobody

These aren't "rules" they are guidelines for making contact with players. This is not a scientific study, it is based on experience. Concerning your third question : generally as the male body develops through puberty, the vocal pitch will begin to deepen. At around sixteen these changes should be apparent. While sixteen year-olds aren't fully matured, they generally have a better moral understanding than an adolescent.

You can continue to trust nobody if you wish, that's your play style.

Edited by Benlandia

My rule of thumb is: if they're breathing I don't trust them.

Hey some of the dead can be a little untrustworthy too :p

• Like 1

..And you like to generalize and stereotype.

What a nice person you must be. ;)

Generalizations and stereotypes are based on experiences. If I have ALWAYS had negative experiences with players under the age of 16, being unbiased against that particular age group would be irrational.

I guess I've been pretty lucky with finding friendlies. Even at the Balota base, with an axe in my hand, I have encountered a couple of guys with M4s and when I waved at them, they waved back and we went different ways. Chances are at least one of them had a bullet he could have put in my face.

Usually if someone has a gun I won't take a chance with them unless I'm already vulnerable. Unarmed or melee only, I approach with caution and communicate with voice.

A lot of the OP has a grain of truth, which can be said for many stereo types.

At this stage of the SA I am basically trusting no one and if I can altogether avoid you I probably will.

I was cornered by 3 guys last night (picture in screenshot thread) at the jail in NWAF and they restrained me, gave me the food I needed in exchange for a scope i didn't even need, took some blood, but replaced it with saline and left me fed and unharmed.

They said they usually KoS but he said he decided to trust me because I reached out over direct chat when they came inside instead of trying to run or fight.

The younger player in the group said, "What are you doing out here ALONE!"

I explained that I have played solo for most of my time since I started playing the mod June 2012.

I'm happy when people just don't try to kill me.

Some guy ran up to me with a kitchen knife and I had a shovel screaming, "You better have water on you when you die!"

I knocked him out with the shovel and told him, "I would have let you drink from my bottle, asshole."

I will interact a lot more as the SA progresses. I'm sure new game mechanics and overall boredom will force me to find company sooner or later..... maybe. :ph34r:

• Like 1

So let me tell you a story, me and my friend were fully geared with everything and we grow tired of being alone in the north so we traveled south to capitol city of Chernogorsk trying to find and interact with other survivors. When we were about to leave the city I saw a bambi with a baseball bat and a clown mask, I was thinking about killing him because generally people with clown mask are always KoS, but I said screw it and we went out and started talking to him , he said he is friendly and wanted to team up.

We found him an ammo less mosin and start heading to city center together. When I was near the crash plane near hotel i started to roleplay as a prophet and start praying near crashed plane in chernarussian language, he eventually enjoyed it and we moved to church where I baptized my friend, then stranger with clown mask said that if it is ok for his friend to join us , i said ok and i baptized them both, then we went to holy crusade and cleanse the city of chernogorsk from undead. After a while our holy army grow to 6 survivors and i was bringing new acolytes for baptism when we were back stabbed by a guy in clown mask and his buddy, he killed my friend from behind and i was killed next  even i  emptied my 40 rounds magazine into them.

Conclusion: I lost my gear which I gained after many hours of gameplay but, it was the best 30 minutes in Day Z SA i had and it was totally worth it.

And never trust guys in clown mask , they will always back stab you

• Like 1

Hey some of the dead can be a little untrustworthy too :P

I can at least trust them to want to kill me, if they see me.

Edited by Knightmare