Sign in to follow this  
moneybags (DayZ)

More reasonable combat log solution

I know that there are a million posts about this topic on the forums, but an idea just came to my mind. Do you remember the Warz (infestation) the knock off of Dayz, well those of you who have made the mistake of playing it such as me noticed that when you open the menu and quit the game it forces you wait a certain amount of time (I think 20-13 seconds). And in that window of time you could be killed by a player or zombie. Now it saddens me to say this but I think we might have to tear out a page in the warz's playbook. I think that this is more reasonable and alot less complicated then forcing somone to get knocked out or die. And there are some of us who need to leave the game to take care of our own matters and it sucks to come back and see yourself dead. Post what you think if you have a better idea.

if you are pulling pages from a game to emulate in this regard I'd say pull one out of EVE Onlines Playbook. The aggression mechanics there require you to be out of combat for 15 minutes before your character will leave the client. This includes if the entire client is shut down. The body disappearing after the aggression timer is deactivated is something else that'll have to be worked out all together but this would allow a time to both close to your target and search the body before it disappears with all its fat loot into the nether.

I think that timer in DayZ could easily be applied to combat logging and shortened to say 5 minutes.

So When logging out you remain where you are for 1 minute if you have not been involved in any combat in the last five minutes.

if you log out during combat you will remain in your last position for 5 minutes if you are either (a) still alive and not taking any hostile actions against your character or ( b. dead. If you are hit during this timer your 5 minutes reset until you are either no longer taking hostile actions or you are dead.

Your body will remain there for let say 5 minutes unless it is searched. If its searched within that 5 minutes then the timer would reset itself for a final say 180 seconds allowing the winners at least some time to search your body.

So in Short. Logging out would either take you 1 minute if you aren't a dick or it would take you a while if you fear for your precious internet pixles. During this time you could always log back in and attempt to defend yourself or choose to respawn.

Edited by iRuin_Voodeux

Simple solution...when the combat icon flashes and you log out let the program assume you already gave up on your character and it will spawn you on the coast as a bambi because your old character died. To make things better the body will disappear, too.

Edited by Enforcer
  • Like 2

why even detecting that you are in combat or not, just make the character remain in game for half an hour no matter what the reason for logging out is. Problem solved.

Simple solution...when the combat icon flashes and you log out let the program assume you already gave up on your character and it will spawn you on the coast as a bambi because your old character died. To make things better the body will disappear, too.

It shouldn't disappear immediately. If he really is in combat while logging, his enemy should have a chance to loot his body.

why even detecting that you are in combat or not, just make the character remain in game for half an hour no matter what the reason for logging out is. Problem solved.

i log out and change the server.

my character got killed on the old server, what now?

i guess its enough if you just have to wait up to 30 seconds until you can log out

i log out and change the server.

my character got killed on the old server, what now?

i guess its enough if you just have to wait up to 30 seconds until you can log out

Which works fine unless you are aggressed. If you are aggressed that timer should be extended heavily.

You can't go on another server as long as your character is still on the previous server. Hell, it even curb server hopping.

30 minutes.

Edited by Lady Kyrah

This still wont do anything if you just close the client. Either way it would be a good implementation.

Server runs all.

It should run dead players.

Why can it not have afk standing guy for 30 seconds?

• Like 1

Too long in my opinion.

I say just go with the conventional solution. Player logs out, has to wait for timer, if they disconnect the timer remains active and their sprite remains in the game and killable until the timer is up. Timer is low for non-combat logs and about 2-3x higher for combat logs. Player sprite stands and waves when a combat log occurs. Non-combat log timer should be around 10-15 seconds.

It punishes random net disconnects unfairly, I know, but let's face it - you can't have a completely fair system if you want cowards to suffer for trying to escape from the consequences of their actions ;)

Edited by Wolfguarde

Why can it not have afk standing guy for 30 seconds?

Because closing the client closes the connection immediately unlike a regular disco.

I say just go with the conventional solution. Player logs out, has to wait for timer, if they disconnect the timer remains active and their sprite remains in the game and killable until the timer is up. Timer is low for non-combat logs and about 2-3x higher for combat logs. Player sprite stands and waves when a combat log occurs. Non-combat log timer should be around 10-15 seconds.

It punishes random net disconnects unfairly, I know, but let's face it - you can't have a completely fair system if you want cowards to suffer for trying to escape from the consequences of their actions ;)

The solution is just fine, random disconnects are just a tiny fraction of combat logging and i'm sure most of the times players lose connection is not during combat.

^but that guy could have a dead body, but it don't go you dead.

It go, you stand there for 30 seconds since u just instalogged.