Greenjellie

Graphic settings for sniping

So, I got into a firefight the other day over at an airport, mosin vs mosin, and although I knew where my attacker was, I really couldn't see him while zooming in with the scope.
I really couldn't see much at all to be honest because the graphics got real bad at long ranges.
Now I don't have a great PC (it ain't even a PC but a laptop) so although I'm sure that putting everything to ultra (or whatever the top settings are) would help a lot, sniping with 2 fps wouldn't be that effective either. (the laptop ain't horrible either, but well yeah, DayZ somehow requires quite something)

The question is:
Are there certain settings that can be changed to make the biggest difference when it comes to being able to see things in the long range? (possibly only when I zoom in)
Or was it just that that guy couldn't really tell where I was either (which I doubt :P) or I should just get a better PC and stop whining?

Thanks in advance!

Actually in games like these, bad graphics just helps, not only with the fps but also with the visibility. 
Setting the game to Very High results in more grass, the trees getting denser and motionblur/bloom, shadows etc, making it harder to spot someone.

Just make sure your view distance is at the max range and use a "Long Range" sight on your mosin and not the "PU Scope". =)

Edited by Wh1spY

Perhaps when the game gets Optimized this may work better.

Edited by Aussie Bogan

Actually in games like these, bad graphics just helps, not only with the fps but also with the visibility. 

Setting the game to Very High results in more grass, the trees getting denser and motionblur/bloom, shadows etc, making it harder to spot someone.

Just make sure your view distance is at the max range and use a "Long Range" sight on your mosin and not the "PU Scope". =)

This is spot on, removing certain things such ass grass overlay and tree overlay removes the object entirely, what you may be hidden behind may not exist on his/her screen, only thing you can be sure of is structural cover, buildings and the like.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure view distance is set server-side.

You never know, I thought view-distance were set server-side in BF3 too! =D

Edited by Wh1spY

Nothing to do with view distance, it's about coverage. Go sit by a few bushes, go into your settings and change grass, bush and tree overlay to high, then drop it to off. It's better having it on if you like a really immersive look, but for optimal vision over beauty, i'd go with off.

Also narrow your FoV it'll effectively give you extra zoomed in vision.

That's an interesting tip, will try that (had it maximized)