Sign in to follow this  
jake_krieger

Chance to make DayZ Sounds and Sound envoirment as realistic and immersive as possible

Being a hardcore combat and suvival simulator to some degree , DayZ needs a player to be very aware of his envoirment and every information in his surroundings

to react quickly and logical to potential dangers , like enemy players or possible zombies.

Sound is an important aspect of this which is often ignored or at least underestimated.

The J.S.R.S mod of it´s author Lord Jarhead takes this very aspect into account through improving the sounds and sound modulation

which made this mod into one of the most popular for the ARMA series.

Both for normal and Mil-Sim players.

I write this because i want the Developers of DayZ to see this possibilty

of working together with Lord Jarhead or hiring him

to create a truly immersive, realistic and useful sound envoirment for DayZ 

Just watch these videos to get an impression :

[^]
[^]
Some features of his work include :

"The biggest feature is the "Distance script" that allows the mod to address different sound effects at different distances 
to the player. The scenario: If a shooter is 500 meters away, one extra tuned value sound for this distance will be 
played. This gives the impression of being far away of that shooter. 

There are also effects like the "First Person sounds" which giving the impression that the weapon is close to your face 
by adding mechanical extra sound effects which is only played when the player is playing in the first-person 
perspective. The same works for vehicles. When sitting as a passenger in an armed vehicle, you can hear the 
mechanical sounds of the weaponry. 

The latest addition to the J.S.R.S. Sound modification suite is the all-new "in-room script" which mixes an extra loud 
echo over the weapon effects when the player is inside a building and is firing his weapon. The effect results in the 
impression that you really are inside a building." 

Contact information for the author of the J.S.R.S Mod  :

E-Mail : info@jsrs-studios.com

[^]

Edited by PVT.Krieger
  • Like 2

JSRS sucks.

I disagree.  I loved having JSRS in the mod.  I would love it if they had something like it in SA.

• Like 1

I disagree.  I loved having JSRS in the mod.  I would love it if they had something like it in SA.

JSRS sucks.

How so? 

It doesn't not suck?

While JSRS is a massive improvement as far as the quality of samples is concerned it actually makes detecting the source of a shot more difficult due to the insane amount of reverb recorded in their samples, it's very obvious that all of their samples were recorded in an indoors firing range. Shots fired outdoors in an open field wouldn't have this long rolling reverb tail that the JSRS samples have, this makes the sonic signature of firearms a bit confusing. I do like how JSRS makes weapons sound like they're actually powerful though, a quality which the ARMA2 samples always lacked.

I think JSRS have some good ideas but they're doing some stuff the wrong way. Their ambient effects are really bad though, it always sounds like you have a bird perched right over your shoulder, going with you wherever you go.

Um, can we ban Applejax please? Or remove his posts please. Improving the sound is a great idea, obviously.

Not all of the sounds themselves seem ideal, but I too like the way they make the guns "feel" powerful, something many games don't do. Proper reverberation would be fantastic as well as more ambient sounds. A lot of things need tuning. I can barely hear anyone near the sea for example.

Edited by Thane
  • Like 1

JSRS sucks.

Your techno Sucks the wang big time on the other hand JSRS is an epic sound mod for arma i honestly couldnt go back to vanila sounds in arma 3 (or 2 ) the guy does an awesome job of adding immersion through sound. Again unlike the disaster of noise you call music applejaxc.

• Like 1

Your techno Sucks the wang big time on the other hand JSRS is an epic sound mod for arma i honestly couldnt go back to vanila sounds in arma 3 (or 2 ) the guy does an awesome job of adding immersion through sound. Again unlike the disaster of noise you call music applejaxc.

JSRS sucks.

I'm not going to bother defended my techno; I now it's trash as well, but it takes one to know one doesn't it?

I play with SpeedOfSound.

Edited by Applejaxc

JSRS sucks.

JSRS sucks.

9) Unnecessary posts:

Posting "don't care" or "so what" or any posts along those lines are unnecessary, inflammatory, and do not add to the discussion.

Just repeating that JSRS sucks does not add to the discussion.  Add reason as to why YOU think it sucks.  You should know better, Applejaxc.

Edited by Skat3rat

JSRS sucks.

I'm not going to bother defended my techno; I now it's trash as well, but it takes one to know one doesn't it?

I play with SpeedOfSound.

My critic of your music is more related to my age than to your music lol so sorry on that.

Speedofsound actually isnt bad at all doesnt in my opinion ( opinions are like bum holes we all have one) doesnt rate compared to JSRS again opinion .

But maybe your a little butt hurt that speedofsound was taking off in the mod world till oh yeah thats right JSRS came out and the people who have played arma for many (to many LOL ) years all flocked to the sound mod that we knew was quality .

I believe the Dayz devs have only just gotten a sound guy on board ( can anyone confirm deny this) and if thats the case im more than happy to wait and see what he does with ( i hope we can all agree on this ) currently lack luster sound ( hey its an alpha i aint complaining.......