the_annoying_fin

The struggle between Arcadish and Realism, my opinions!

So, i'll just start with a quick salutations to the whole DayZ Alpha Community! And here are your beans!  :beans: And apologies for the long read, if you're too lazy to read it, please dont waste the comment section on stating that  ;) 

I've been going through the posts regarding SA. And what i've come across most is the issue of one group wanting to make the game more Arcade like, and the 2nd wanting realism. And the last group wanting something in between.

Mostly it has been topics regarding the amount of loot, vehicles (when they are implemented). What the HUD should be like, if there should be any at all. Or just the fact that one feels like dehydrating too fast, while others think it's fine. (Same goes for starvation of course)

So why do i make this topic? Because in my opinion it shouldn't go either way. But rather, both ways. As in, make it possible for the server admins to set what the servers overall experience will be like, as in Arcade, Semi-Realistic or Realistic. But i am no programmer, nor do i have any kind of experience in making games. So i wouldn't know if that was even possible, but hey, they want opinions and ideas, and im gonna provide my fair share of them! The reason behind this idea is that, while i dont want to lose the realistic feel the game has at the moment. But i think the solution(s) should fit all, rather than trying to please all with one compromise.

So, what would the differences be then? Well i think it should be quite obvious if you have read this post so far.
But in general something like this:

Arcade

- Higher rate of dehydration/starvation. (Look below for the "whys")
- Running doesn't affect your dehydration/starvation rate.
- Full HUD with all the bars and meters we are familiar with from the Mod.
- Loot tables as seen in the mod, loot is plentiful and easy to come by.
- Plenty of vehicles (for the lazy people), and vehicle parts are also easy to find.
- Bringing back global chat.
...these are just a few examples, cause at this point i think you get the picture. Basically means that this mode would bring many things to the level of the mod.

Semi-Realistic

- Lower rate of dehydration/starvation, something closer to realistic but not quite there, looking at 1-2liters (1-2 bottles) and hour if idle.
- Running has moderate effect on your dehydration/starvation rate, much like how it is at the moment in 0.30

- Limited HUD compared to Arcade.
- Loot tables worked so that they are bit more plentiful than what it is at the moment in 0.30
- Vehicle spawns limited, but still quite a few out there, just harder to find. Parts are also more rare.
- Don't know if it should have the chat or no.

Realistic

- Keeping the dehydration/starvation to same as Semi-Realistic. Maybe a bit lower than that (2-3 liters/h if idle?)
- Running has big impact on dehydration/starvation rate compared to walking. I was thinking of a scale like 100m running = 1km of walking. Cause that seems the most realistic to me.
- No HUD, maybe that dot crosshair, no?
- Loot tables being something like seen in 0.30
- Vehicles are very rare, if you find one and get it going, you really must plan carefully what to use it for!
- No other chats than direct! Maybe implement the 2-way radio? Acre?

Loot tables could be different for each mode, as in military grade weapons are common in Arcade and Very F*cking Rare in Realistic

Player statistic wouldn't of course be transferred from mode to differend mode!

There are of course many other factors that would affect each mode but i think you can see what im meaning here.
But in the end, the current state of the game is in my opinion mostly Realistic which is just the way i prefer the game. Because in the current state you need to think before you act, especially if you have hoarded yourself good gear. Cause i think it should be challenging to get items and weapons, so that people wouldn't go rushing into towns thinking "I can get this gear in no time if i die"

So my opinion? If it's not possible to put all three modes in the game, please make it more realistic rather than arcade shooter where i can hear every 13-year old proving to the 12-year old over global VoIP how "F*cking badass he is cause he has an .50cal in a video game" 

All in all, i wanna hear what you people think! Please share your comments, but keep them somewhat "mature" and if you think something is bad, please explain why!

For the long read i give  :beans: and  :thumbsup: 

Edited by The_Annoying_Finn
  • Like 1

So why do i make this topic? Because in my opinion it shouldn't go either way. But rather, both ways. As in, make it possible for the server admins to set what the server's overall experience will be like, as in Arcade, Semi-Realistic or Realistic.

No. What that does is have easy mode, regular mode, and hard mode servers all connected to the same hive. Or if not connected then you have to add in more hive servers on Dev side of things to monitor and really splits the community up. Not to mention it removes the feeling of what dayz is supposed to be. If rockett wants the game more arcadish he will make it so. Or a few years down the road if modding become available other people will do it on private hives/servers.

Right now and for the vanilla SA it isn't needed. If you want an arcadish game go play BF4, it has plenty of that stuff already.

So, i'll just start with a quick salutations to the whole DayZ Alpha Community! And here are your beans!  :beans: And apologies for the long read, if you're too lazy to read it, please dont waste the comment section on stating that  ;) 

I've been going through the posts regarding SA. And what i've come across most is the issue of one group wanting to make the game more Arcade like, and the 2nd wanting realism. And the last group wanting something in between.

Mostly it has been topics regarding the amount of loot, vehicles (when they are implemented). What the HUD should be like, if there should be any at all. Or just the fact that one feels like dehydrating too fast, while others think it's fine. (Same goes for starvation of course)

So why do i make this topic? Because in my opinion it shouldn't go either way. But rather, both ways. As in, make it possible for the server admins to set what the servers overall experience will be like, as in Arcade, Semi-Realistic or Realistic. But i am no programmer, nor do i have any kind of experience in making games. So i wouldn't know if that was even possible, but hey, they want opinions and ideas, and im gonna provide my fair share of them! The reason behind this idea is that, while i dont want to lose the realistic feel the game has at the moment. But i think the solution(s) should fit all, rather than trying to please all with one compromise.

So, what would the differences be then? Well i think it should be quite obvious if you have read this post so far.

But in general something like this:

Arcade

- Higher rate of dehydration/starvation. (Look below for the "whys")

- Running doesn't affect your dehydration/starvation rate.

- Full HUD with all the bars and meters we are familiar with from the Mod.

- Loot tables as seen in the mod, loot is plentiful and easy to come by.

- Plenty of vehicles (for the lazy people), and vehicle parts are also easy to find.

- Bringing back global chat.

...these are just a few examples, cause at this point i think you get the picture. Basically means that this mode would bring many things to the level of the mod.

Semi-Realistic

- Lower rate of dehydration/starvation, something closer to realistic but not quite there, looking at 1-2liters (1-2 bottles) and hour if idle.

- Running has moderate effect on your dehydration/starvation rate, much like how it is at the moment in 0.30

- Limited HUD compared to Arcade.

- Loot tables worked so that they are bit more plentiful than what it is at the moment in 0.30

- Vehicle spawns limited, but still quite a few out there, just harder to find. Parts are also more rare.

- Don't know if it should have the chat or no.

Realistic

- Keeping the dehydration/starvation to same as Semi-Realistic. Maybe a bit lower than that (2-3 liters/h if idle?)

- Running has big impact on dehydration/starvation rate compared to walking. I was thinking of a scale like 100m running = 1km of walking. Cause that seems the most realistic to me.

- No HUD, maybe that dot crosshair, no?

- Loot tables being something like seen in 0.30

- Vehicles are very rare, if you find one and get it going, you really must plan carefully what to use it for!

- No other chats than direct! Maybe implement the 2-way radio? Acre?

Loot tables could be different for each mode, as in military grade weapons are common in Arcade and Very F*cking Rare in Realistic

The best option is Semi Realistic/Realistic, more towards Realistic. 

Edited by Gdaddy22
  • Like 2

In my opinion, game should focus on gameplay.

And to have good gameplay you have to mix the things from "arcade" and "realistic".

• Like 1

No. What that does is have easy mode, regular mode, and hard mode servers all connected to the same hive. Or if not connected then you have to add in more hive servers on Dev side of things to monitor and really splits the community up. Not to mention it removes the feeling of what dayz is supposed to be. If rockett wants the game more arcadish he will make it so. Or a few years down the road if modding become available other people will do it on private hives/servers.

Right now and for the vanilla SA it isn't needed. If you want an arcadish game go play BF4, it has plenty of that stuff already.

I did also mention that im no expert in this kind of stuff. But anyway, appreciate the input and clearing out how it all works. Just hoping that you could keep it all civil, rather than having a bit of an arrogant attitude.

It was an idea for developement, wasn't it now? Isn't that what we are supposed to do as alpha testers? Give feedback and promote new ideas? Please correct me if im wrong on that  ;) 

Lastly, i did mention in the end that i enjoy how it is now, and i want it more realistic, rather than arcade.

The best option is Semi Realistic/Realistic, more towards Realistic. 

Well, since it's still in developement, we're of course gonna have only one. And i do agree with you on that  :)

I personally like the path Rocket and Dayz is/has been going since the inception of the mod.

I would rather play Rockets game than any ideas i have read in any forum on any game :)

In Rocket we trust :p

I think there's a lot of other games out there that do "Arcade" better than DayZ would. For the sake of not fragmenting the DayZ community any more than necessary, I say let's keep it firmly in "Realistic". DayZ does realism better than anyone, and isn't that why most of us are here?

• Like 2

I think there's a lot of other games out there that do "Arcade" better than DayZ would. For the sake of not fragmenting the DayZ community any more than necessary, I say let's keep it firmly in "Realistic". DayZ does realism better than anyone, and isn't that why most of us are here?

Indeed it is good sir. But like i said in the beginning of the post, there is an alarmingly high number of threads wishing the game to go towards the Arcade way. And im not saying that Dean would instantly listen to them, but if majority wants it that way, he might just do the slight adjustment towards that.

• Like 1

really already have that....

SA

and

MOD

where MOD is broken down into any and all those categories. (from vanilla to 10000 vehicles, self blood bag, full kit starting gear etc...)