DocSavage

Straightforward Banditry Solution

So let me back up a second and state that this post was made on the assumption that Rocket is experimenting with ways to incentivize cooperation. Or at the very least' date=' prevent bean wars.

He's removed starting gear and beefed up zombies to that end. Why would this be so awful to try for a week?

[/quote']

Because it's an artificial disadvantage to a certain playstyle in a sandbox game.

It's a horrible suggestion. I'm honestly surprised you even suggested it, seeing as you seem to be fairly intelligent.

What?

As in reality?

Isn't this a Post apocalyptic reality simulator?

Situation 2: Me and my friend running from Zeds' date=' I stop and start killing Zeds and my friend runs in the line of fire and I kill him, by accident, and what now, every one will hunt me, for this tragic accident?

Your suggestion reminds me "Lineage 2", Korea'n MMORPG. If you kill some one, and he doesn't shoot back, you become a PKiller with red "NameTag" and in order to clear your "name" you must farm "mobs" or die, even Korea`ns wasn't showing on the map PKillers, just a red "NameTag".

[/quote']

I see your logic, but I'd argue it doesn't hold up. The humanity system is already in place and it's forgiving of the the thing you just described. The server already tracks humanity. Technically, there are still bandits and survivors, there's just no visible distinction between the two. Rocket has plans to implement a heartbeat system, but on paper I think it sounds weak.

Plus, hunting other players who you know to be capable killers would be a fun addition to end-game, as opposed to picking over dear stands and cooking meat while you wait for your squad to log on.

So let me back up a second and state that this post was made on the assumption that Rocket is experimenting with ways to incentivize cooperation. Or at the very least' date=' prevent bean wars.

He's removed starting gear and beefed up zombies to that end. Why would this be so awful to try for a week?

[/quote']

Because it's an artificial disadvantage to a certain playstyle in a sandbox game.

It's a horrible suggestion. I'm honestly surprised you even suggested it, seeing as you seem to be fairly intelligent.

I teach high school English for a living. Show me how it sucks. "Artificial disadvantage to a certain playstyle" isn't explaining anything to me. Give me a scenario where it would negatively impact your game. I believe you that it sucks, but show me how it does.

Rocket has plans to implement a heartbeat system' date=' but on paper I think it sounds weak.

[/quote']

It's implemented ;)

I teach high school English for a living. Show me how it sucks. "Artificial disadvantage to a certain playstyle" isn't explaining anything to me. Give me a scenario where it would negatively impact your game. I believe you that it sucks' date=' but show me how it does.

[/quote']

Because it places bandits at a severe disadvantage, basically nerfing their playstyle out of the mod entirely? Because it's artificial?

Because playing a bandit is a legitimate playstyle. By pointing out the bandits on the map, you're basically removing one of the biggest elements of the game, which is to be unsure of a player's intentions when first coming across him?

Rocket has plans to implement a heartbeat system' date=' but on paper I think it sounds weak.

[/quote']

It's implemented ;)

Well that's a bummer. I haven't even noticed it. Do you like it?

Worst idea ever... besides you being born.

...im just kidding. but no it's not a good idea.

You can hear the heartbeat of the player when you look at him, but the range is to small at the moment, just couple of feet.

Don`t have the opportunity to compare heartbeat rate of different humanity state, so cant say for sure will I like it or not.

Or maybe it's just me and it's a left over from Arma 2 :D

[/quote']

It's implemented ;)

Yes its ok.

You have to be very close and you'll feel like getting a heart attack when you look at me.

So I cant betray you - but I never did. I usually roam in groups - mixed groups - and they are my friends and random persons are not. But I also help people sometimes or spare that bullet if I feel sympathy.

A mark on the map would be a superheavy Punishment - in a feel free what you want to do world. And it has nothing to do with killing noobs and also nothing with CoD Style of Gameplay. I usually stay alive for longer periods.

Yes its ok.

You have to be very close and you'll feel like getting a heart attack when you look at me.

So I cant betray you - but I never did. I usually roam in groups - mixed groups - and they are my friends and random persons are not. But I also help people sometimes or spare that bullet if I feel sympathy.

A mark on the map would be a superheavy Punishment - in a feel free what you want to do world. And it has nothing to do with killing noobs and also nothing with CoD Style of Gameplay. I usually stay alive for longer periods.

Agreed, the map marker system is a very heavy-handed proposal, but so was taking away starter weapons, and I think that's working out nicely.

Do you think there should be in-game repercussions for murder, or not so much?

And how about Clans with Base camps, markers on map will give away positions of that camps and rally point.

Maybe some kind of penalty, that will apply after you'r re-spawn next time: half of blood, or broken legs, or bleeding and no bandage in inventory :D

Do you think there should be in-game repercussions for murder' date=' or not so much?

[/quote']

No Im against Punishment for playing the game how you want to do.

Taking the Weapons of Fresly Spawned does protect them. You cant go on a Coastal Rage now with infinite Ammo (Every killed survivor gave 6 new Mags) and You already didn't stand a chance against a Spawn Sniper with your Makarov before. So nothing really changed for you.

Markers on PKs would punish those who survived, and thats against the one and only core element of the game.

I think the heartbeat system is the best solution until we get a seriously groundbreaking idea going. Visual indicator is too obvious, but the heart beat range is too short, according to popular opinion.

I think making crows follow bandits or circle around bandits would be a worthwhile idea. Only a few crows from a distance, making it really subtle and easy to miss or mistaken for a normal situation. Crows are a symbol of death, universal laws, and making tough decisions. I think it would fit quite nicely.

Put the bandit skin back in, but put lootable civilian skins in so bandits can disguise themselves.

People who ruin other people's pleasure, need to be marked (and shot for being assholes)

Put the bandit skin back in' date=' but put lootable civilian skins in so bandits can disguise themselves.

People who ruin other people's pleasure, need to be marked (and shot for being assholes)

[/quote']

I would edit and delete this post before everyone comes in here and tell you to "grow balls" and stop being a "carebear"

Even with lootable civillian skins, they will deem it unfair.

I've always said doing things in this game should make you better at said things. I support giving perks and detriments for both high and low humanity.

High humanity players should get some kind of bonus for that, something that has to do with how you get higher humanity. Since you get it right now for bandaging and transfusing and such, I believe you should be able to do those things faster as your humanity rises. Demonstrates how your character has gotten practice from doing it so much. When you get a very high humanity you might be immune to panic when you have an ally around. However, being that they care for their fellow man, they should also have trepidation when aiming at or near someone they've been traveling with for very long. To show that they don't want to accidentally hit their friend, maybe a minor version of the shaking aim that happens when you need painkillers.

Low Humanity comes from killing people, so killing people should get easier. (I know, it's pretty easy already, but still, any skill can be honed) I would say the lower your humanity, the less noise you make to other players when you move. You'd never get truly silent, but maybe half as loud. At extremely low humanity you could get the ability to track gun shots from other players, not on your map, but using the little white circles that sometimes show up around the outside of the screen. The circle wouldn't be small though, it would be very large, about 1/4 of your screen, but only show up on the edge of the screen, working kind of like a compass, pointing in the direction of the shot, and slowly fading away over the course of 5 minutes. The closer the shot is, the more apparent it is, the further, the more transparent. Of course it would work with sound so if they weren't close enough to hear you wouldn't get any kind of tracking. However, all the killing you've been doing takes a toll on your mind, you can't trust people, and you get paranoid. When within 10 feet of a person who has neutral/positive humanity, you start to get very nervous. If you stay near them for very long (2 minutes or so), you start to shake and eventually cough and whince, the more people there are the faster it happens, the less humanity you have, the worse the effects. And the only way to revert back to normal, is to either get away or aim at someone, down the sights. Aiming down the sights at someone reverts you much quicker as your character feels he has some control of the situation.

This post made me think about this' date=' I was on a server, looked at the map and oh my...

I'm no expert, but I think a kid got sniped there.

[/quote']

LoL :D

Nice Screenshot.

Put the bandit skin back in' date=' but put lootable civilian skins in so bandits can disguise themselves.

[/quote']

I would edit and delete this post before everyone comes in here and tell you to "grow balls" and stop being a "carebear"

By they you mean the bandits/deatchmatchers? I know they will oppose this, they're the only ones opposing this. We had the bandit skins and it was a good system IMO. I was a bandit yes, got -36K but managed to lowered it until -18K, so don't tell me it's impossible to be friendly. I only killed other bandits and try to let survivors go.

People who ruin other people's fun need to be punished, it's that simple.

I don't care if they call me a carebear, atleast I didn't buy this game to play DayZ and I try to post constructive ideas.

See, I think the key to figuring this out isn't so much about straight punishment as it is introducing risk into the equation. As it stands, pulling the trigger on an unknown player has little repercussion. And I doubt that the heartbeat system in place is going to stop me and whoever I'm rolling with from gunning down people raiding tree stands or stragglers on the outskirts of Elektro.

Players shouldn't be punished because they choose to play bandit. But there needs to be some kind of mechanic in place that makes the decision to kill another player outright interesting.

I like the map system because it's drastic; it changes the entire way you play when you know people could be hunting you. Maybe the map blip could only be accurate to the grid square, rather than pinpoint? Or maybe it would only last for a short window of time?

[/quote']

By they you mean the bandits/deatchmatchers? I know they will oppose this, they're the only ones opposing this. We had the bandit skins and it was a good system IMO. I was a bandit yes, got -36K but managed to lowered it until -18K, so don't tell me it's impossible to be friendly. I only killed other bandits and try to let survivors go.

People who ruin other people's fun need to be punished, it's that simple.

I don't care if they call me a carebear, atleast I didn't buy this game to play DayZ and I try to post constructive ideas.

Right on brother! :D

See' date=' I think the key to figuring this out isn't so much about straight punishment as it is introducing risk into the equation. As it stands, pulling the trigger on an unknown player has little repercussion. And I doubt that the heartbeat system in place is going to stop me and whoever I'm rolling with from gunning down people raiding tree stands or stragglers on the outskirts of Elektro.

Players shouldn't be punished because they choose to play bandit. But there needs to be some kind of mechanic in place that makes the decision to kill another player outright interesting.

I like the map system because it's drastic; it changes the entire way you play when you know people could be hunting you. Maybe the map blip could only be accurate to the grid square, rather than pinpoint? Or maybe it would only last for a short window of time?

[/quote']

Why would killing people have repercussions? It's a zombie apocalypse, there are no rules. There isn't gonna be some magic trick that makes you apear on a paper map once you kill someone.