DoktorCze (DayZ)

Extension or New map for Dayz

There are plans to extend the north of Chernarus...in fact if you head up that way you will see some roads already in place.  Give it time.

Give it time.

I was under the impression Chernarus++ was already in use?

I was under the impression Chernarus++ was already in use?

I think they are up to Chernarus +% atm

Little question here, when the SA gets more content and players and all that,would it be possible to extend the map to the west and north? Like replacing some of the debug plains with more map? Because that would be great.

I went there yesterday, just follow the tracks from Rify north, there are a lot of roads going nowhere and stopping suddenly, also there are a few houses looking like an unfinished town.

Although i would like to see more maps like Namalsk which i really liked

I think they are up to Chernarus +% atm

Okay. Can you source that?

Little question here, when the SA gets more content and players and all that,would it be possible to extend the map to the west and north? Like replacing some of the debug plains with more map? Because that would be great.

1: Map has been/is being extended, don't worry

2: There's always going to be debug plains; that's how video games work.

Was hoping to have an entirely new map made to get lost in, but obviously too much work for them. I'm so familiar with Chernarus that I don't need a map nor compass to know where I am or where I am going.

Just compared the original map with the new one,you are right.Does that mean in the future it could become even bigger? 

Just compared the original map with the new one,you are right.Does that mean in the future it could become even bigger? 

I doubt bigger (that would cause issues with players logging in, due to coordinate changes I think), but probably more detailed.

I doubt bigger (that would cause issues with players logging in, due to coordinate changes I think), but probably more detailed.

One could extend the map in a direction that simply leaves the origin of the coordinate plane stationary. So if 0,0 is in the north west corner, extend south and east (more islands? Another landmass?)

One could extend the map in a direction that simply leaves the origin of the coordinate plane stationary. So if 0,0 is in the north west corner, extend south and east (more islands? Another landmass?)

That's tricky.

Utes is supposed to be added to Chernarus++ so I don't see why not. They'll probably do a character wipe when they change the map around.

Was hoping to have an entirely new map made to get lost in, but obviously too much work for them. I'm so familiar with Chernarus that I don't need a map nor compass to know where I am or where I am going.

To give some frame of reference - Chernarus took 5 years to build. I doubt we'll see any entirely new maps any time soon.

I'm assuming, and what I hope for, that once SA is fully released and they deal with the initial support resources will be diverted to building additional maps. Instead of making a DayZ-2 I would rather they create a different country every year or two to keep it fresh, with maybe some updated features as well. I wouldn't want a bunch of maps right away because that would dilute server populations.

He said SOME of the debug plains not all of it. Christ you really don't listen before getting on that high horse of yours

North should be mountains with snow , like namalsk :D

I like this idea. Perhaps make it more survival oriented with the requirement to get winter gear / heat source or risk freezing.

He said SOME of the debug plains not all of it. Christ you really don't listen before getting on that high horse of yours

I'm not on a high horse; I was answering his question.

So, how's your saddle?

I've arrived at the conclusion that the map is no longer adequate for what DayZ is projected to be.

If Rocket wants to keep pushing player counts and/or consoldating servers, a new approach to the map will eventually have to be taken. I already feel the map is at its limits in terms of overall player counts, anything more than 75 (which isn't all that many, considering the pseudo-MMO goal of DayZ) and we'll be encountering folks everywhere. In the mod, I encounter people all over, much more than one might think in the "Wilderness" areas (which are pretty high-traffic areas in my opinion). In Standalone, I don't encounter many simply because there aren't that many full servers when I play.

Note that simply because they added interiors does not take away from the overall player distribution. In other words, it doesn't matter if a player's inside a building or beside it, that player is still there.

I think the map's limits will be further underscored when construction and vehicles are implemented. No matter how difficult these things are to fix/create, they will inevitably clutter (not a bad thing when combined with an appropriately-sized map) the map and make it proportionally smaller when traveling at high speeds.

Not to mention how easy it is to memorize Chernarus (which I did long ago, and memorizing the aspects of Chernarus+ has been just as easy).

Eventually, I'd like to see a core-designed map with the contingency for a procedurally generated wilderness/frontier. That way, DayZ could be a bit less formulaic in terms of the landscape whilst maintaining a "hand-crafted" urban/suburban core.

EDIT - Likewise, something should be done with the debug plains. It's unfinished (imagine removing the frame from the Mona Lisa only to find blank pieces of printer paper attached to the edges) and as someone who spends a lot of time on the periphery of the map, not very immersive. The effect is exacerbated in the Standalone where the expanding map has placed thick forests directly against the borders of the map making for some pretty jarring transitions/sights. Something needs to be done eventually, whether it be through a LOD forest (rather than just detail-less plains), procedural generation, or an in-lore quarantine wall. Something needs to be done about it, I'm not entirely sure what though.

Edited by Katana67