Dagwood

Clothing and KOS

Do you think wearing non-military garb makes you seem less threatening and as a result less likely to get shot after being seen?

I've always liked to think so, but I can't say whether it works or not.

Thoughts? Experiences? Please share.

I usually shoot people based on whether or not they have a weapon, not their clothing. I tend to hang out at Balota and kill the spawn killers. I'll camp up in the woods, wait for a bambi to run onto the air field, and when he gets shot, I pinpoint the aggressor and take him out. Perhaps military garb will make you more likely to be killed once the body disappearing bug gets patched, meaning you can actually loot people after you kill them.

You could be running around in underwear but if you are carrying an M4 you are a threat.

I've not been able to truly test this yet, but I do believe appearances are a big part of it. If you run around in a Hoxton mask, tactical vest, military pants and a black hoodie with black gloves and a military helmet wielding an m4 you should expect to be shot at. You don't appear to have any good intentions.

If you run around rockin' the Rocket aviators with a baseball cap, a flannel and cargo pants I believe you'll typically be received as a warmer person to approach. However, most players here don't see attire, they see cattle, and they want steak.

Don't rely on it. I'd rather dress to go unseen than dress to be seen as a lovely guy.

• Like 5

You could be running around in underwear but if you are carrying an M4 you are a threat.

Even without the M4,

I would still consider you as a threat ;)

VyBfkkq.jpg           <<<< Threat

Edited by Aussie Bogan

KflIqi6.gif?2     

This is why we need bandit/hero/survivor skins (and humanity system) to somehow lower KoSing

• Like 1

Is it weird that the first server I played on, all the corpses I came across had no pants? I thought it was a glitch, until I joined another server.

I just think it's boring wearing mil garb like every other geared person I run into.

All three of the guys I play with wear masks and rock vests and all that. Boring. They all look the same with just different colors.

Playing at my best while not using the very best equipment brings my family much honor.

• Like 2

And having some kind of excuse might make my comrades hate me a little less :)

Full military garb. I rarely get shot or shot at. Mainly because I don't hesitate to pull the trigger if I see someone with a weapon, or they don't listen when I tell them to get on the ground and instead they go to aim their gun at me. lol

Full military garb. I rarely get shot or shot at. Mainly because I don't hesitate to pull the trigger if I see someone with a weapon, or they don't listen when I tell them to get on the ground and instead they go to aim their gun at me. lol

The point of the thread

Your head

Do you think walking around in military gear means you're more prone to get shot at or received as a threat compared to non-threatening civy gear?

Hi there,

I was manage to dress myself as hero skin in DayZ mod. So far I can say, that patients are calmed down, when they see me approaching to them w/o gas mask and in all those camo military clothes.

I have also noticed, that they can see me much faster and usually they say:"Is that you in that "hero" skin?"

To present more casual meeting with survivors, I always walk to them with my gun lowered down. So far no one killed me, but when I'll meet true bandit, this will be subject to change. But that happened to me also in mod.

To sum up. Clothes may reduce % chance to be kos. And your acting after first contact will just reduce that chance even more.

WcLEgGb.jpg?1

Edited by (TMW) Marion Mic
  • Like 1

I've not been able to truly test this yet, but I do believe appearances are a big part of it. If you run around in a Hoxton mask, tactical vest, military pants and a black hoodie with black gloves and a military helmet wielding an m4 you should expect to be shot at. You don't appear to have any good intentions.

If you run around rockin' the Rocket aviators with a baseball cap, a flannel and cargo pants I believe you'll typically be received as a warmer person to approach. However, most players here don't see attire, they see cattle, and they want steak.

Don't rely on it. I'd rather dress to go unseen than dress to be seen as a lovely guy.

That's right, me and my friend play always trying to be friendly but we were wearing a payday mask, with helmets, and guns,, so every time that one survivor spot us, just start running away, so we decide to get rid of mask and helmets, now we are using Christmas hats and people is not running away anymore :):):) 

This is why we need bandit/hero/survivor skins (and humanity system) to somehow lower KoSing

No. It didn't work in the mod, it won't work in the Standalone. What we need are more things to do in the game. More zombies, more objectives, and cooperative tasks to reward cooperation. Right now KoS will persist because once you have gear, there's really not much to do.

• Like 1

Hi there,

I was manage to dress myself as hero skin in DayZ mod. So far I can say, that patients are calmed down, when they see me approaching to them w/o gas mask and in all those camo military clothes.

I have also noticed, that they can see me much faster and usually they say:"Is that you in that "hero" skin?"

To present more casual meeting with survivors, I always walk to them with my gun lowered down. So far no one killed me, but when I'll meet true bandit, this will be subject to change. But that happened to me also in mod.

To sum up. Clothes may reduce % chance to be kos. And your acting after first contact will just reduce that chance even more.

WcLEgGb.jpg?1

This may be crazy enought to work, untill humanity system skins comes.

Edited by Frosti
  • Like 1

I remember I actively sought the bandit skin. For me, it was a badge that I wore proudly just like many wear their hero skins. Usually it didn't matter to me if people targeted me for my bandit skin, because I more than likely would already be in the process of trying to kill them.

No. It didn't work in the mod, it won't work in the Standalone. What we need are more things to do in the game. More zombies, more objectives, and cooperative tasks to reward cooperation. Right now KoS will persist because once you have gear, there's really not much to do.

For me bandit/hero/survivor skin worked pretty good in mod, for limiting KoS.

Edited by Frosti

I usually shoot people based on whether or not they have a weapon, not their clothing. I tend to hang out at Balota and kill the spawn killers. I'll camp up in the woods, wait for a bambi to run onto the air field, and when he gets shot, I pinpoint the aggressor and take him out. Perhaps military garb will make you more likely to be killed once the body disappearing bug gets patched, meaning you can actually loot people after you kill them.

That is exactly what i did in the mod, except i camped that tall building in Cherno and countersniped all day when playing alone.

Now i camp secluded military bases with my mosin and kill server hoppers. I mean, i see the entrance, i know you didnt just go in rather you spawned there

Kinda funny.

Because realistically I'd associate people with military gear to be friendly, considering we also have some military groups (and friendly-ish) operating out there.

But that's far from the general DayZ mentality and reality, however. It's simply better gear, also to go unnoticed meaning that you'd be rather perceived as threat, as it's also common. Some more "distinction" could be nice.

In the end I guess we should wait for even more clothing and customization. If you'd ask me I'd say that - on first look - people with civilian looking gear might appear more friendly.

On first look or glance, that is.

Edited by Combine

Clothes have nothing to do with KOS. Bordom does. There simply is nothing else to do in DaySA atm other than server hop and KOS. :(

DayZSAGap.jpg

Edited by BigCountry

I remember I actively sought the bandit skin. For me, it was a badge that I wore proudly just like many wear their hero skins. Usually it didn't matter to me if people targeted me for my bandit skin, because I more than likely would already be in the process of trying to kill them.

That reminded me how flawed was humanity system in the mod.

There were many "survivors skin" wanna be bandits, becouse they could not kill enought heroes/survivors to get their bandit skin becouse during their KoS run they sometimes killed bandits so they were permanently stuck in surivor skin.

And on other hand, there were many "hero" bandits, who got their hero skin by KoSing bandits on NWAF, and with their boosted humanity they continued to KoS regardles other players having hero, survivor skin.

I hope that humanity system in standalone will be  kills based and not points based.

For exemple as a survivor:

2 bandit kills  - hero skin

2 survivor kills - bandit skin

1 hero kill - bandit skin

As bandit:

To get back your survor skin you will have to wait some in game hours (8 hours for exemple) without killing anyone. Killing KoSing bandits while having bandit skin will not make you survivor or hero.

As hero:

If you kill 2 surivors you will become survivor, kill 2 more survivors as survivor and you get bandit skin

People seem to have a hard time identifying risky behavior. I don't mean other peoples' behavior, I mean their own. Sprinting across fields, through towns, down airstrips, pillaging towns in broad daylight? Time to really think about your actions when you're staring at that black screen. When you die, you should think to yourself "I can't believe I let myself die", not "I can't believe that killed me". Whether you were shot by someone, or mauled by zombies (this is going to become way more common soon hopefully), it was probably entirely avoidable.

• Like 1

At the moment we have very limited ammount of gear, so everybody runs in UK tac vest, full TTsko camo clothing, ballistics helmet and most likely Gas mask.

I did the same but past few days I kinda like to wear something different. I like to wear ushanka (that fur hat), some cargo pants, and maybe some civilian shirt or something. It feels so damn more realistic to have this kind of gear rather then be like specops soldier.

I can't wait till we get working shotgun, some hunting rifles, some 9mm pistols or other civilian weapons.

Will be good times.

Hi there,

WcLEgGb.jpg?1

You are some kind of genius.

Honestly, I just use the military gear because it has SO MANY POCKETS and I have a tendency to pick up everything I can.

I seriously have an M4, FNX, and Mosin on my character right now with ammo for all 3.

Edited by Pandema