Sign in to follow this  
ProGamerGov

Cracking down on server time abuse [24/7 night and day]

Do you agree?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with this solution?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (Please specify in the comments below)

To prevent things from becoming "24/7 daylight 1000 vehicles max weapon spawns!" Which by the way is a game mode called "Wasteland" in Arma if you want to play it.

Here is the solution to the problem:

(All servers on the public hive will have to abide by these rules.)

1. All servers admins will have the ability to set a time zone for the server that will be day and night when they want.

2. This ability to set the time zone can be used once a week and will have a 2 hour (this period's length of time is negotiable) period after it has been set to be changed.

3. The day and night cycle will be 24 hours real time.

4. Server time will not change on restart and instead continue on.

5. Any server admin caught trying to abuse things for a 24/7 daylight server or something like that will have a single chance to set the time zone before being locked out of time control for a month.

Vote for this solution here on the dayz feedback tracker: http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=3908

This solution means that you set the server time zone to be day when you play and gives the chance for players to sneak around at night at the opposite time.

You would have your approximately 12 hours of daylight and the chance to choose exactly when this is. And the the chance for covert night ops and raids on bases that are not hindered by daylight.

Edited by ProGamerGov

Not a problem.

Just find a server that caters to your tastes and favorite it.

nope...

some of us like 24/7 daylite..

its hardly a game breaking issue.. i can se why some dont like it.

but in the end its no different then the 1st/3rd person debate.. its not about right or wrong its about choice..

Not a problem.

I think he is talking about server hoppers, basically. Like you connect to "SNIPER RIFLES EVERYWHERE" server and after that you connect to "genuine" one with all that top stuff...

nope...

some of us like 24/7 daylite..

its hardly a game breaking issue.. i can se why some dont like it.

but in the end its no different then the 1st/3rd person debate.. its not about right or wrong its about choice..

Then pick a server that is day when you play.

This solution is not game breaking either. No 24/7 daylight servers on the vanilla public hive. Private servers can do as they please.

Edited by ProGamerGov

Not a problem.

You mean when every server is 24/7 daylight? You set the time zone to be day when you want to play and that's it. Then when people log in at the opposite time, they can sneak around at night while your not playing.

Not the stupid care bear time abuse servers that currently exist.

Edited by ProGamerGov

Well before the 24/7 day servers I never even saw daylight in the game.  It was a good 3-4 days before I saw light.  For now, since it's alpha, just leave the day time servers.

• Like 1

Well before the 24/7 day servers I never even saw daylight in the game.  It was a good 3-4 days before I saw light.  For now, since it's alpha, just leave the day time servers.

This is about the finished game. If I log in on the complete opposite time that the server was day, it should be night.

The server owner will be able to set exactly when they want their approximately 12 hours of daylight to be. But gives the chance for covert night ops and raids on bases that are not hindered by daylight.

I don't have a problem with daylight servers. I have played at night and personally don't like it (I favor vision) but the few times I have wanted to play at night it hasn't been a problem finding a nighttime server

I don't have a problem with daylight servers. I have played at night and personally don't like it (I favor vision) but the few times I have wanted to play at night it hasn't been a problem finding a nighttime server

This is also for immersion. If I play on a server, I want to be able to experience night and day on it rather than server hopping for a change in day time.

Servers would set the approximately 12 hours of day time for when people normally play on them. This allows for "day time servers" and "night time servers" depending on when you play.

Night is a fact of life. Deal with it.

Edited by ProGamerGov
  • Like 1

I see no problem unless people who hate night want to play on a singke server for over 12 hours. And if you are, too bad.

The only thing that I want to see is the ability to increase the passage of time to 6 hour days. I want time to pass at a rate that makes the starvation mechanic believable and make the transitions to be a constant time pressure.

then the whiny brats appear again, begging for 24/7 sunlight...

and, ironically, they're the ones that ruined the mod with the shitty easy mode servers.

I just hope that the devs will have a bit of good sense and dont fall to these stupid whines of them.

I would be happy enough if things like this got a filter in the server browser. If you want to skip the night, you shouldn't have the privilege of being on my list. If it's truly about player choice, I should have the choice not to participate. People who like it can filter for "24/7" but I can't filter out "24/7".

Most servers will restart once or twice a day to keep the server from lagging ect. This restarts the day effectivly, right now servers restart like every 4 hours or less so in order to get a day/night you need to set the server time 2 hours before sun set. Once server issues are stabilized the standard will probably be 6hr daylight 6 hr night so as to accommodate a restart every 12 hours.

We had it for mod servers and I've been one to be calling for a proper GMT value setting for our SA servers. With a GMT value setting, anyone wanting to play during the day(in game) within their TZ would be able to find a server to play on. Not sure what 24/7 daylight accomplishes except for being easy mode.

Admins having GMT value settings would cure most of the issues people have.

One thing I'm sure of(well maybe until the advent of private hives) we won't see a shorter day/night cycle as some suggest, not one that is proper anyway. You may have servers that start at a time a few hours before night and then reset to that specific time, which will give you an abrupt day/night cycle. Some actually already do this.

Edited by R.Neville

Most servers will restart once or twice a day to keep the server from lagging ect. This restarts the day effectivly, right now servers restart like every 4 hours or less so in order to get a day/night you need to set the server time 2 hours before sun set. Once server issues are stabilized the standard will probably be 6hr daylight 6 hr night so as to accommodate a restart every 12 hours.

Why can't we just make it so time does not restart after server restarts? That would be a much better solution.

It's really your preference, I understand each side of the argument. The 24/7 1000 vehicles might be kind of cheating but you don't HAVE to play on those servers. I used to play on those servers because I never seen cars in normal servers and the night was unbearable. So they are good for new players and people who just want to have fun because DayZ doesn't need to be 110% serious realistic. 

Why can't we just make it so time does not restart after server restarts? That would be a much better solution.

They would with having a GMT setting for the server, like with Mod servers. A this point in time though, server hosters are having issues with GMT values on their end. Hence why you're seeing all these 24/7 day servers. If they set their servers to local machine time, 9 times out of 10 it will be night when it should be day time. Do I like it? Absolutely not but it's a fix until they figure out how to deal with that issue.

It's really your preference, I understand each side of the argument. The 24/7 1000 vehicles might be kind of cheating but you don't HAVE to play on those servers. I used to play on those servers because I never seen cars in normal servers and the night was unbearable. So they are good for new players and people who just want to have fun because DayZ doesn't need to be 110% serious realistic.

l

That game mode with 24/7 day and thousands of vehicles already exists... It's called wasteland but doesn't have the zombies and instead AI.