RottonKiwi

What happens if you log off in combat in other MMO's?

Why isn't DayZ like other MMO's where your character stays in game for half a minute after logging off? The dev team didn't even make an attempt... I mean, even DayZ Origins had a way to stop people from logging off if they were in combat. You can't stop people from getting scared, hiding and logging off but it's kind of a no brainier to stop people from disappearing on demand. 

A side question, how long will the Alpha last? 6 months, 1 year, 2 years? How long do you think is acceptable for the Alpha to last? If I pre-order a game I'd like to see it released within at least a year. That's just me, personally.

Edited by RottonKiwi

combat logging prevention mechanism hasnt been "enabled" i nthe standalone just yet.

stop the whine

Edited by h3retic

I hate the taste of you >:( >:( >:(

9XOnleE.jpg                 <<<< I got shot many times because of you  (It's hard to make friends when your sick)

They did make an attempt, but you didn't see the post about it. It's in the game, but with all the changes they've done, they haven't implemented it or 'turned it on' yet. They still have a lot of other bugs and glitches and additions to address as well. Just give them more time, they only released the early access like... A little over a week ago.

As for the side question, however long they feel the need. I have a feeling they'll probably have it go toward the end of 2014 before they turn it to a beta, but that's just my opinion on it.

Why isn't DayZ like other MMO's where your character stays in game for half a minute after logging off? The dev team didn't even make an attempt... I mean, even DayZ Origins had a way to stop people from logging off if they were in combat. You can't stop people from getting scared, hiding and logging off but it's kind of a no brainier to stop people from disappearing on demand. 

A side question, how long will the Alpha last? 6 months, 1 year, 2 years? How long do you think is acceptable for the Alpha to last? If I pre-order a game I'd like to see it released within at least a year. That's just me, personally.

Rocket addressed the issue of combat logging and how they would deal with it (timer/cooldown) before the Alpha was even released.

I think a good example is Planetside 2, a MMOFPS.  If you logout/dc and have taken damage within the last 8 seconds, the last damage source is credited with your kill.  Being damaged resets that 8 second timer.

Wow dude, calm down. They are going to implement it soon. You know its alpha as you just said and yet you are all in a tiff.

• Like 1

hasnt been "enabled"

Keep in mind, Bohemia is located in the Czech Republic. Some/most of their information isn't posted in English. Considering they use "programmed" and "enabled" interchangeably I think it's safe to substitute "put in the game" for both meanings.

however long they feel the need. I have a feeling they'll probably have it go toward the end of 2014 before they turn it to a beta

Surely the line should be drawn somewhere. Would it be okay if the Alpha lasted 5+ years? I'm sure that's acceptable for someone with giant My Little Pony pictures, but some of have standards.

Edited by RottonKiwi

According to the Steam store page:

We estimate that reaching Beta version with all key features present will take more than one year from current stage.

According to the Steam store page:

We estimate that reaching Beta version with all key features present will take more than one year from current stage.

That could 2 or 3 years until beta, nice  :)

Why isn't DayZ like other MMO's where your character stays in game for half a minute after logging off? The dev team didn't even make an attempt... 

Yes, they actually did. The problem is solved they just haven't deployed the solution. Which you would know if you read a few things about the game before posting moanfests on the forums.

I take it your post subject was the question right? EvE Online has a sweet log out mechanic for people who log off in combat. When you log out in general (not in combat), you stay in game for 60 seconds. If you log out IN combat, you stay in game for 15 minutes. Granted that would be a bit excessive for DayZ but that sort of thing at a reduced time would stop them and force them to fight and possibly win, or log out and die

Well, that was rather rude. Then again, what standards should I expect from a person named after a decaying fruit?

Trolling aside, seems like I was more or less right, and I never said 5+ years. They have a lot to add, this is an alpha, a very early alpha at that, and you can't expect a perfect and polished game in a few months.