ZedsDeadBaby

Would this simultaneously fix Server Hopping and Ghosting?

http://i.imgur.com/h3sjBVm.jpg

This could be implemented with a series of new "spawn points" which, rather than acting as spawn points for new players would act as "bump points" for people who log-out in unauthorized zones. So I think it's really rather simple from a logic standpoint. Just a series of new (x, y, z)'s for bumping.

Using the "spawn" functionality has two-fold benefits: one) the basic logic and functionality already exists in the engine and two) it prevents odd situations like getting bumped into water or spawning inside terrain or geometry. Preset "bump points" can be verified safe.

There would have to be many points, so you're not likely to get "bumped" to the same place as someone else.

To avoid confusing new players, a warning should be issued. "Logging out here will result in your character's relocation" or some such.

This would make server hopping impossibly inefficient, and also solve the problem of people "ghosting" into high-value areas in order to ambush players, while still allowing people to log off whenever they want (which is important for people with RL issues like children or irritable bowel syndrome).

Thoughts?

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 6

This would aid in ghosting...

How's that?

Edit: Since you're not answering, I'll go ahead and say you either don't know what ghosting is, or you don't understand the proposed system.

Ghosting is when you logout of one server, then use another to safely move to an advantageous position, only to return to the original server and get the drop on an enemy from a better spot. My proposed system would completely prevent this. As soon as you logged out, you would be "bumped" out to a random safe location. If you tried to move back in to an advantageous spot and re-log, you would get bumped again.

Ghosting would be impossible w/ this system.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby

I had the same suggestion with zones like that ..but for 3dp/1st. The only way i think to really kill hopping is a log out and combat timer. Char stays in game for a certain amount of time if you log in a 'hot' zone. Cannot log under combat conditions at all.

• Like 2

I had the same suggestion with zones like that ..but for 3dp/1st. The only way i think to really kill hopping is a log out and combat timer. Char stays in game for a certain amount of time if you log in a 'hot' zone. Cannot log under combat conditions at all.

Yeah, not trying to fix combat logging as my understanding is rocket already has a solution ready to go for that.

This is primarily to fix server "hopping" to farm high-value loot areas like military bases, and the dual problems of ghosting and surprise log-ins.

I think there's a major problem with the tactical aspect of the game with a server system like this, because regardless of how thorough and careful my team is at "checking and clearing" buildings, we can always get ambushed by someone freshly logging in. It's really frustrating for a team that plays with absolute precision to die because after we've checked a building and confirmed it empty, some guy comes storming out of the door with a blazin' M4 because he just logged in and got the drop on us.

Maybe this solution is too harsh, but I do think it would go a long way toward preserving team play and tactics, without TOO many negative side effects (I will admit it will likely be quite disorienting for new players to logout in one place and then find themselves in another when they return, but I think it's an okay trade off given the severity of the issues with server swapping).

Perhaps to minimize disorientation, new players who logout in a "bump zone" shortly after spawning on the coast simply get returned to their original spawn points?

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 1

How's that?

Edit: Since you're not answering, I'll go ahead and say you either don't know what ghosting is, or you don't understand the proposed system.

Ghosting is when you logout of one server, then use another to safely move to an advantageous position, only to return to the original server and get the drop on an enemy from a better spot. My proposed system would completely prevent this. As soon as you logged out, you would be "bumped" out to a random safe location. If you tried to move back in to an advantageous spot and re-log, you would get bumped again.

As soon as you logged out, you would be "bumped" out to a random safe location. If you tried to move back in to an advantageous spot and re-log, you would get bumped again.

you would be "bumped" out to a random safe location

safe location

NO, no safe locations, ever. 

• Like 1

It isn't really a safe location as such, but the system (i imagine) would not 'bump' you to a spot where are another char is in close proximity as you can simply be axed whilstb still logging in. 

As soon as you logged out, you would be "bumped" out to a random safe location. If you tried to move back in to an advantageous spot and re-log, you would get bumped again.

you would be "bumped" out to a random safe location

safe location

But as of right now you can also do that just log out join a low pop server instantly safe, this is still a better alternative to what we have now. Edit: i misinterpreted what you said ignore this quotation! :P

I like this idea simple to understand for everyone and doesn't seem like it would be hard to implement either but who knows what's easy really as that all depends on the devs and engine however i like this, i like this a lot beans for you!

Edited by twingunz

Safe meaning not buggy or deadly - i.e., not 20 feet in the air or stuck in a boulder. I assume you agree logging in to an immediate death would be undesirably "unsafe." 

Yeah, not trying to fix combat logging as my understanding is rocket already has a solution ready to go for that.

This is primarily to fix server "hopping" to farm high-value loot areas like military bases, and the dual problems of ghosting and surprise log-ins.

I think there's a major problem with the tactical aspect of the game with a server system like this, because regardless of how thorough and careful my team is at "checking and clearing" buildings, we can always get ambushed by someone freshly logging in. It's really frustrating for a team that plays with absolute precision to die because after we've checked a building and confirmed it empty, some guy comes storming out of the door with a blazin' M4 because he just logged in and got the drop on us.

Maybe this solution is too harsh, but I do think it would go a long way toward preserving team play and tactics, without TOO many negative side effects (I will admit it will likely be quite disorienting for new players to logout in one place and then find themselves in another when they return, but I think it's an okay trade off given the severity of the issues with server swapping).

Perhaps to minimize disorientation, new players who logout in a "bump zone" shortly after spawning on the coast simply get returned to their original spawn points?

It is a start, i would (like to) think most players do not log at high pvp spots so it wouldn't be an issue. We don't log anywhere near built up areas, generally in a forest under a tree. I would go further and bump them straight back to the coast myself :D ..at the furtherest point from any mil loot sites. Random disconnects would be annoying as would server restarts if stuck in one the zones though, i could live with random disconnects if it would alleviate the hoppers though and Five minute server restart countdowns would cure the restart issue.

I'm sure many forum users here haven't played much of the game that shall not be named. However, they already implemented a system such as this.

If a player logs onto a server, they are now set to that server. If they leave the server and come back to the exact same server, they are logged in to the place that they logged out at. However, if they join a new server, it will spawn them outside the city or area that they were at when they logged out and then "locks" them to that server.

Its not too bad of an idea, but it doesn't really fix the server hopping. People just leave and spawn outside the new town, not too far away and can just run back inside. In theory, even if it was implemented, i'm sure there'd be a few instances where someone would be teleported to the "safe area" and gets killed. However, it does pretty much "fix" ghosting. I just don't think its worth it because if you have to switch servers to get with a friend who just got on, it would be pretty obnoxious to get teleported out of your camping spot and into harms way just because you wanted to play with another friend.

How's that?

I'm well aware of ghosting. And I hate to break it to you, but I do other things besides sit on the forums waiting to answer your questions the second you ask for them, so thank you for being extremely arrogant.

This easily aids in ghosting because the player can quickly relog, and be instantly teleported to a safe position, where they can move in to jump the targets.

This makes it faster, because the player only has to relog, they don't have to log out, find a different server, reposition, relog, etc.

• Like 5

I'm well aware of ghosting. And I hate to break it to you, but I do other things besides sit on the forums waiting to answer your questions the second you ask for them, so thank you for being extremely arrogant.

This easily aids in ghosting because the player can quickly relog, and be instantly teleported to a safe position, where they can move in to jump the targets.

I really have no idea what you're even trying to say. This definitely doesn't help with ghosting at all. "Quickly move in to jump the targets" from like 1km away? How? What? I mean, what?

How is that better than spawning RIGHT NEXT TO someone like it works now? Seriously? What?

If a player logs onto a server, they are now set to that server. If they leave the server and come back to the exact same server, they are logged in to the place that they logged out at. However, if they join a new server, it will spawn them outside the city or area that they were at when they logged out and then "locks" them to that server.

That's not how it works now. I've never logged in anywhere but where I've logged out.

Could make it tough to get teams together, you will be scattered all over the map no matter how close you were when you logged last night.

Other then that, seems like a credible way to curb the two issue you identified. Well done.

I really have no idea what you're even trying to say. This definitely doesn't help with ghosting at all. "Quickly move in to jump the targets" from like 1km away? How? What? I mean, what?

How is that better than spawning RIGHT NEXT TO someone like it works now? Seriously? What?

Relogging and running 1km can be just as fast as logging out, finding another server, moving, switching back, etc.

There is also a chance that you'll spawn extremely close. And what if a player DCs, gets kicked, server restart, etc, etc.

That's not how it works now. I've never logged in anywhere but where I've logged out.

Not sure if you actually read my post or skimmed it, but i'm talking about (sorry) War Z, or Infestation, whatever name they changed it to in order to rid the perception of them releasing a terribly put together game and sold it as a full game. That is how it is now in THAT game.

If that was implemented, someone could log out, (still could even do it successfully if a logout timer was implemented), switch to a different server, get teleported outside of town, switch back to the server, and now the player could have the jump on the person they just escaped. Now, the player who didn't ghost has NO idea where the person is, and could get killed by them.

I just don't think this a good solution for the problem.

Problem with this? This won't solve the server hopping issue, or ghosting issue, server hoppers will just log off, then back out and run to the loot spawns again, it'll just take a bit longer, it'll in no way prevent it.

As for ghosting, ghosting is to move from where you were seen and being a target, to being somewhere else, you wouldn't even need to log on another server with this, you just log off then back on, then run to where you know they were, the best they can do is "expect it", just as you "expect" ghosting right now.

Doesn't solve either issue.

Awesome, now I can just scan nicely defined borders to pick off people logging in.  You've just made the "everyone spawns at shore problem and gets camped by geared players problem" extend beyond just the shore.  Instead of solely addressing the problem of people being able to server hop and/or ghost, you've designed it so that players who want to take shelter in a building can't either along with people who try to abuse the system.  There are much better ways of fixing this issue than implementing some contrived system of bumping people out of their stored location.

Edited by Lev

but I do other things besides sit on the forums waiting to answer your questions the second you ask for them,

You disgust me.

• Like 1

This I like.

Arma 3 breaking point, got it right a 8 minute timer every time you change servers.

if you make it count down while youre playing it wont be noticable like say its 15 minutes you would just loot for 15 min then log to another server and loot for 15min and so on but if you have to wait at the log in screen for 8 minutes you wont do it much.