Sign in to follow this  
Betabyte (DayZ)

combat logging: a constructive thread ?

Hi im a longtime lurker who occasionally posts in this forum.

I played dayz since the beginning.

Don't shoot me for my postcount :P

There is no tldr , skip post or read it fully please ;)

The current state of the game: players can alt f4 freely to escape death by "a dick player"

or escape death because their "dick move" is about to backfire.

Escaping the game to avoid death is not a feature, never was and never will be.

So what do we need ? In the other thread i read the actual (partial?) solution in my opinion.

But most others in that thread are too busy trying to prove no point.

A 120 second delay was the idea. I forgot who proposed it, but you had the idea, i didnt come up with it ^_^

So 120 seconds between the time you "dc" from the server's viewpoint. During that time you cannot enter another server. Simple as that.

Ofcourse this is an alpha, where buggy zombies are. So we need to add a second mechanic.

The first 10 seconds of the 120 you are still vulnerable to zombie damage. When no zombie hit you in that time, you become immune to ZOMBIE damage. you can still get harmed by players ofcourse (120 seconds).

What do you think of this idea? How would you expand or alter this mechanic to prevent combat logging?

Please remember: Thread is NOT about:

- kos why it should/shouldnt be there

- your feelings about kos.

Would love constructive discussion ^_^

• Like 3

Finally ! Someone created a thread about comat logging ! I was waiting for so long

Edited by Gdaddy22
  • Like 1

I say let them combat log, but have the server kill their character and leave the body behind for the person who is going to win. No warning. 

Have a timer (30 seconds) once in combat, (zombie aggro, or if the server detects a bullet passing in... 50m of the person? I think that's fair.), that will reset up to the maximum of 30 every time the server detects you are in combat. 

Harsh? Maybe. Fair? Absolutely. Combat logging, I feel, is up there with hacking because, if you're quick enough, you can log out and ghost behind the person in under a minute in the current set up.

Great, a trollpost and somebody who missed the point ...

On topic :

Disabling alt f4 is not a good solution. People will just learn as easily to end process in task manager. 

This solution is serverside and actually tries to take into account an actual real sudden dc.

Actually, while i like your idea about the 30 seconds , i think we must consider the problem that all these checks

need to be computed by the server. This could be a problem when moving to higher player numbers.

having a combat log feature is needed, first day i got the game i encountered 5 of them.

making it kill a person is not a good option..say your power goes out or you have crap internet that drops alot..

origins has a good system...you dance for 30 seconds before you log...regardless if you hit alt f4 or not.

put a 5 min counter on servers so you cant re enter same server to get rid of log and repositioners.

@Synystr : killing a character would punish someone with a flaky internet connection.

I'm sure the programmers would implement a failsafe for someone with high ping...

If you hit alt+f4 or hit exit on the menu, THAT should kill you. Not losing connection by way of shitty internet.

Fixing this on the server side makes a lot of sense, but it's possible that poor design choice make this impossible. Conceptually it's a really simple change though to protect against alt-f4.

Edited by __redruM

Great idea Betabyte. 120 seconds may be a bit long imo, but very good idea. Hopefully something happens like this. 

What about this: If your game crashes, due to power off, connection, or combat logging, you can't log into ANY server for the next  30 minutes. People who aren't CL but got a real crash would also have to wait 30 minutes, but ... bad luck mate. 

Actually, while i like your idea about the 30 seconds , i think we must consider the problem that all these checks

need to be computed by the server. This could be a problem when moving to higher player numbers.

the server has to calculate the health, energy, hydration, temperature, stomach, x/y/z-coordinates, inventories, requested interactions, logins-requests for ~50 players.

not to mention the pseudointelligent movement, health, attacking-moves and attentionspans of zombies and animals.

do you REALLY think the logout is gonna matter? :lol:

and i do not know where you are living, but here in germany most DSL-users have a forced re-dialup every 24h hours. i dont want to lose my gear everytime it happens. also gamecrashes/bluescreens happen. the idea of enforced death is just plain stupid.

keep the character ingame for ~60s, emit a sound-signal when a player attempts to logout and done.

having a combat log feature is needed, first day i got the game i encountered 5 of them.

making it kill a person is not a good option..say your power goes out or you have crap internet that drops alot..

origins has a good system...you dance for 30 seconds before you log...regardless if you hit alt f4 or not.

put a 5 min counter on servers so you cant re enter same server to get rid of log and repositioners.

If a person, who the server detects is in combat, hits alt+f4 or hits exit on the menu, it should kill them and even post a server wide message like "Synystr is a coward." I think that would be pretty bad ass.

There is a big difference between losing connection and INTENTIONALLY trying to leave the game.

If a person, who the server detects is in combat, hits alt+f4 or hits exit on the menu, it should kill them and even post a server wide message like "Synystr is a coward." I think that would be pretty bad ass.

There is a big difference between losing connection and INTENTIONALLY trying to leave the game.

there is no difference to the server in between that. grow up child...

that wont stop me from combat logging.

I'm sure there still would be some people who will try to combat log via plugging off their router cable or even the power cable from their PC

Edited by Gdaddy22

there is no difference to the server in between that. grow up child...

Merry Christmas to you too, you cheery bastard you.

That be great! And would love for the bug to be fixed that if you kill someone they just insta leave server. Meaning no loot... Body despawns...

I'm sure there still would be some people who will try to combat log via plugging off their router cable or even the power cable from their PC

Haha yes, and I am also sure that people will find hacks and scripts as well. And I'm sure people will murder, and deal drugs and commit fraud. 

The purpose is to make it a massive pain in the ass to pursue those paths. Trying to weed them out completely is unrealistic.

• Like 1

@ gdaddy: yes maybe 120seconds is too long. hmm waiting 30 minutes is abit too harsh too no ?

what about 15 minutes? And in ALL circomstances, give the abilty to still kill and loot the offender in the 120/60sec time.

@Alcapwn: yes you are right. but the 120 sec rule would be run on the central hive. Dean&co wants to give server admins the power to create private servers. This feature should be Always on, regardless of private OR public.

And the main hive server delivers for 250k players and counting, so every cpu cycle matters then, no ?

Why not deal with it the same way as most other MMORPGs deal with it. When you want to log out from the server your character sits down for a specific amount of time and after that time has passed you get logged off the server and your character dissapears immediately from the server. It could also be possible to vary the timer depending on if there's combat nearby etc. If you crash / alt-f4 then your character will remain in game for a specific amount of time as well but the amount could be higher than if you log out the "normal" way.

If your character stays on even though you log off normally that means that players may find you by accident and kill you while your logged off, and I don't think that's good design.

Make it easy everytime you either dissconect the server or your internet drops connection to the server your character stays for 60 sec in the server.

Problem solved. 

Learn to log out in safe areas. ;) 

Haha yes, and I am also sure that people will find hacks and scripts as well. And I'm sure people will murder, and deal drugs and commit fraud. 

The purpose is to make it a massive pain in the ass to pursue those paths. Trying to weed them out completely is unrealistic.

sorry, but "kill process x" or "move my foot so that i can switch the power off" is not "making it a massive pain in the ass".

@ gdaddy: yes maybe 120seconds is too long. hmm waiting 30 minutes is abit too harsh too no ?

what about 15 minutes? And in ALL circomstances, give the abilty to still kill and loot the offender in the 120/60sec time.

@Alcapwn: yes you are right. but the 120 sec rule would be run on the central hive. Dean&co wants to give server admins the power to create private servers. This feature should be Always on, regardless of private OR public.

And the main hive server delivers for 250k players and counting, so every cpu cycle matters then, no ?

the main hive server delivers nothing. this matter would have to be taken care of by the individual servers, which will require the hive merely to block another login as long as the character is needed ingame.