kenny4587

No gun at respawn? Impossible for beginners

I completely agree that no gun at start is insane. Not because of any incredible difficulty but because it merely slows down the experience a tremendous amount and makes the game boring and tedious. I do not want to get killed by a bandit while scavenging in a house because my only method of defense was flashing my light enough time to hopefully give him a seizure. I do not want to be attacked by zombies (with their newly improved senses) that may I add will never stop chasing you with no method of defense. I see no problem with making starting with no gun a hardcore/veteran server only feature. This would allow both sides to have their way.

Honestly the amount of 'hyper realism' people on these forums disturbs me. It is a game, not the real world and people need to see that. It is great for a game/mod to be realistic to an extent, but once that point is crossed over it ceases to be a fun experience and more like a hassle.

I mean really it is a game about zombies in a russian world that is for some reason filled with american weapons and you are worried about realism?

What worries me even more is the 'hardcore' group who would seem to prefer it if the game consisted of only themselves and their 10 friends who like the idea of a zombie could one-shot kill you and eating beans should break your legs. I see these people on the forums raging and showing profound hatred towards anyone who would add a suggestion that could cause a betterment towards the experience in anyway that may be considered 'making it easier'

This guy is probably a troll, but here is my method when im REALLY REALLY having trouble finding gear.

Part ONE: Join a server with 25 person cap.

Part TWO: Run to the office building in Electro

Part Three: If you find a gun, have a happy dance, if you dont try and find flares and then go join a night server. The chances of you finding a gun on a night server are much higher considering there are less people that play at night. Also, its easier to run away and hide from zombies because they cant see as well at night.

I'd love to see some sort of "stash" ability' date=' the way STALKER did. With, of course, the ability for other players to find your stash and loot it.

[/quote']

That would be tents.

Aha, I see. That had occurred to me, but, until now, I wasn't 100% sure what they were for. Thank you.

dayzmap.info - Use it! Go to places like barns' date=' deerstands and forts for guns without the chance of 10 other guys looting it.

[/quote']

Kinda ruins the "Survivor" feeling though knowing exactly where you need to go. Im sur eif I clocked up hundred of hours and knew the landscape well I'd use the map but for now I kinda like having no idea where I am or where to go. Then I get hachetted to death by a low life.... :(

This guy is probably a troll' date=' but here is my method when im REALLY REALLY having trouble finding gear.

Part ONE: Join a server with 25 person cap.

Part TWO: Run to the office building in Electro

Part Three: If you find a gun, have a happy dance, if you dont try and find flares and then go join a night server. The chances of you finding a gun on a night server are much higher considering there are less people that play at night. Also, its easier to run away and hide from zombies because they cant see as well at night.

[/quote']

You make it sound so simple except new players... dont know where Electro is. Dont know where they are. Cannot recognise "the office building" from all the others. Considering Rocket makes you find a compass/GPS/map i think his aim is for people to feel totally lost at the start.

I am aware you can figure out North using the watch/sun. Then you kinda know where electro is down at the SE if youve seen a map once (which, in game , i still havent).

I do not think you should assume use of any third party tools in a game at all (maps/wikis/etc). Not saying I've never used a third party tool! But for this game it seems more like cheating for some reason :)

Well i played for 5 hours yesterday. Wasted 4 Characters before i finally made it to a larger city inland and finding a winchester and a m1911.

I agree that finding gun's is sometimes ridiculous hard on the other hand i found a Winnie, a double barrel shotgun and a Garand Rifle in ONE Barn ...

What disturbes me is, that other people shoot me for a bandage and a painkiller ...

The dev team should overthink the no starter weapon decision and provide a fresh spawned Char with a makarov and 2 mags (i do agree that the "old" starterkits where too powerfull). So i'm able to fend off other players who want to kill me and i can shoot my way out of a building if i'm trapped there with zombies. On the other hand i have to carefully think about weapon usage because i have very limited starter ammo.

Honestly the amount of 'hyper realism' people on these forums disturbs me. It is a game' date=' not the real world and people need to see that. It is great for a game/mod to be realistic [i']to an extent, but once that point is crossed over it ceases to be a fun experience and more like a hassle.

I think a lot of the people you assign this hyper realism label are simply expecting the game to be a certain way, and to deliver a certain experience. Not so much hardcore or realism, but the experience of trying to survive in a horrific environment with little to no defense, while attempting to meet the friendly and avoid the cruel. As somebody who has been playing DayZ for a while, to me the tedious part is not scavenging for starting items but running around at the so called end-game which really doesn't have much to offer but merely hunting for sport. When ammunition and supplies are as abundant as they are--that is if you have the ability to gather it--survival is not difficult.

I think a lot of the people you assign this hyper realism label are simply expecting the game to be a certain way' date=' and to deliver a certain experience. Not so much hardcore or realism, but the experience of trying to survive in a horrific environment with little to no defense, while attempting to meet the friendly and avoid the cruel. As somebody who has been playing DayZ for a while, to me the tedious part is not scavenging for starting items but running around at the so called end-game which really doesn't have much to offer but merely hunting for sport. When ammunition and supplies are as abundant as they are--that is if you have the ability to gather it--survival is not difficult.

[/quote']

As I mentioned before those who bother me the most are not the people begging for me realism, but rather those begging for the game to be the worst most frustrating experience to ever exist.

I recall a forum post where a new player was wondering if there was going to be a time when zombies would not be able to walk through doors/barricades in order to form some semblance of a base. This player was jumped on by 10 people almost immediatly calling him a 'carebear' for a suggestion that would make the surviving experience easier. Something I have also notcied disturbingly enough is that those preaching for a realistic experience one-second would happily join in on the bashing of a realistic idea if it detracted from the hardcore experience.

I see no problem allowing noob servers to start with a gun. On smaller pop servers it will give a noob like me a chance to survive longer than 10-15min and learn the ropes. It will also give asshats wanting a FPS FFA game a better server to play on. Scratch that. Most of thoes douchebags want an advantage. Really what I would like to see changed is after say 10-15 kills a bandit gets a big sign in neon letters that says "IM A FUCKTARD KILL ME" I know that wont happen btw dont flame me. Its more in jest than anything else. I've been playing for 2 days now and without looking at any maps ect if it wasnt for thoes twats it would be to easy really.

@Vasudan : No problem with action' date=' I have a problem with self defense. One error = instant death. Not legit when you know others could learn with one gun at start.

[/quote']

Valid point, but learning to sneak and avoid zombies should be every new players first tick, by all means increase the spawns of basic guns but I'm against starting with one, I love that start with nothing and work your way up, being forced to be extra careful until you can defend yourself.

Playing a few actual Arma missions with teach you guns, only DayZ with teach you zombies.

Vas.

This game has a learning curve, it's not fuckin' Neopets, get over it.

I started playing DayZ yesterday and have found no problem with the current weapon acquisition system.

The extent to which coming into the world unarmed adds to the tension is absolutely astounding; it also gives you a massive sense of satisfaction when you finally do scavenge some weapons. I played for a few (~4) hours yesterday and went, in the space of a 3 lives, from knowing nothing about the mod do being able to survive and sustain myself relatively well within a fairly contained area.

The longest of my lives started in Kamyshovo and lasted about 2 hours, at which point, unsure of what to do next, I got bored and attempted to take on the horde :rolleyes: However, in that time I had managed to accumulate a tent (pity the terrain was too rough to place it), a roll of razor wire, a makarov and ~6 mags. I also found more road flares and cyalumes than I could carry, more than enough food and drink to survive (although food was a lot scarcer than drink), a water bottle, a hatchet, some wood, a few mags of AK ammo, an M249 ammo box, a DMR mag and a mag of NATO 5.56.

(( In other lives I also managed to find a double-barreled shotgun, a crossbow and several more hatchets. Weapons are not hard to find if you're looking in the right places. ))

I started off sneaking around the village checking each and every building, discovering loot spots - I didn't even know about this map at this point so was going entirely off my own back. I started off picking up everything I found, mostly empty tins to start with, and replacing it as I found better gear. I was surprised how much the using cans helped me to get around the village.

My initial helplessness and vulnerability gave me a much greater sense of achievement from my scavenging, taught me as a new DayZ player to appreciate and understand the importance of stealth and I also feel that it helped support my interactions with other players. I was pretty open towards other players and generally approached them (cautiously of course) and offered any help I could. This principle was largely based on the understanding that the worst they could probably do at the time would be to shine their flashlight in my eyes, if I'd known they were armed I would've been far more inclined to keep my distance for as long as possible.

In my first life all I managed to find at first was a hatchet and several bandages, though I still paired up with another survivor. Although neither of us could communicate, I protected him with the hatchet and bandaged his wounds until we managed to find him the crossbow in a nearby barn. That's when I fell down the stairs and broke my leg and he left me for dead, but still :P

Thoroughly enjoying the mod so far, and looking forward to more high-level content now that I understand the game loot mechanics a bit better and know about the map. I'm expecting my player interactions to change a lot once the stakes are raised, but that's all part of the fun! In the meantime let the people who are crawling around the coast trying to find some pasta help each other out while they're all still amicable. The last thing they should have to worry about a 7.62 hitting them from 800m away, or some trigger happy lunatic running up off the beach and peppering them with his revolver.

TL;DR: Leave people unarmed at spawn. Weapons are easy enough to find. Let PvP be an end-game concern.

First of all, something people are overlooking is the fact that you cannot have "newb servers start with guns and veteran servers not". Characters are persistent between servers. All THAT would do is make everybody spawn a character on a random newb server and then move to whichever one they wanted to get an edge on the other players. This does not really help balance things at all.

I've played a sum total of about 5ish hours of this game across maybe 3 lives. I think it's really harsh when you first start out (especially if you had the misfortune to pick a night server and not know well enough to pick a different one!) and it took me a lot of trial, error and fiddling... But I feel like I'm in a good groove with it now. My current character has less than 1000 blood pressure currently, and I'm desperately searching for a blood transfusion with a buddy. It's exhilarating!

You say it's impossible. It's not. It's just really really hard. Because that's the sort of game the developers want to make. A game that's a harsh and unforgiving simulation of what it would REALLY be like in a Zombie apocalypse. Hell. There's an ABUNDANCE more weapons than there should be for hyper realism sake, but they're trying to give players SOME chance.

The only things that get me are things like... I found an M1014 shotgun, and then later found 2 12 Gauge pellet shells that are marked as being for that gun. But I can't seem to get it to load them into the weapon. Pressing R does nothing, right clicking them in my ammo belt just comes up with "Group to 8" or something that does nothing. So I'm a bit at a loss.

But hey. It's still in Alpha so I think I'll let it slide and pray I can figure out how to do it (or that somebody can tell me how? ^^; )

Imagine if everyone asking for guns at spawn only wanted them so they could kill other players. Now imagine, if they didn't get their way, what would they do? Fuck off and play something else, right?

I'm pro no-gun-at-spawn. QED

Imagine if everyone asking for guns at spawn only wanted them so they could kill other players. Now imagine' date=' if they didn't get their way, what would they do? Fuck off and play something else, right?

I'm pro no-gun-at-spawn. QED

[/quote']

^This.

Steep learning curve and lack of immediate PVP possibilities can only improve the overall experience for everyone. It's hard for beginners, yes, but it's a price worth paying.

Open the map in editor and roam around the noobshore looking for houses you can enter. Learn to recognize them so you don't risk yourself for prop houses when you play the real thing. Rule of thumb, if you can enter it, it most likely has loot in it (not in editor obviously).

We don't need Makarovs to spawn with. 4' date='9 Million Survival attempts with Makarov. All died.

And the Makarov Weapon Factory at the Coast is out of Order for Months and out of Weapons now. Millions of Survivors came and took a Makarov. Now its empty. Wander inlands to search for all the lost Makarovs, Im sure youll find one.

[/quote']

You need to take more risks and hit bigger buildings up OP. I'm a veteran, and after a recent respawn on the new system, I have to say it isn't really that hard to get going again. However, the first 30 minutes before gathering serious defense can be very tense.

It is a big learning curve, but frankly it will teach you the necessary abilities to stealth.

You will die, most likely lots, until you learn to change your approach to different situations. It will also allow you to experiment with the stealth system and how to lose them - through buildings, LOS, etc.

You can't make the mistake that you can approach a town in a fast crouch and not be seen. Likewise you can't expect that you can escape aggro by running away, because you will aggro more.

It isn't rocket science. But if we gave you a Lee Enfield, you'd only make it worse when you've aggrod by shooting it, you will pull 20+ zeds when you're in a town. Then what? You'll be making a thread complaining about how OP the zeds are or unworkable the stealth is.

Baby steps bud, you are going to die as I've said, but fuck around for the first few lives. Get to know zed behaviours, aggro them on purpose to see what works. I'll even give you what I do.

#0: Scout town from a distance & ID lootable buildings (youll learn this slowly)

#1: Zed is aggrod, move to fast crouch (I'm usually always in slow crouch when around zeds)

#2: Proceed to building with 2 or more entrances/exits and drag the zeds into it

#3: Exit building using the other door, immediately going into slow crouch

#4: Finally, LOS them around a few corners

The exception to this being if you're unlucky enough to receive a broken bone. This is basically a death sentence with no weapon. Take the death and restart.

Okay' date='

I just spent 4hours to try and try again to sneak out, watching for loots. I've not even seen 1 gun. I try to play as the guide says : stay away from the 2 big cities (elekto, and the other one), try to stay in woods, scan the city and find opened buldings.

Okay I fuckin sneak those zombies, but still no gun only ammos. This game is near to impossible for beginners.

Only vets can survive. But I wish those vets never have to play this game for the first time without ONE SINGLE FUCKIN GUN. You should be happy, you experimented players, you played this game in "normal" mode at the beginning, and learn the basics of DayZ with the makarov as first primary weapon. Now all new players has to learn by the HARDCORE mode. You modders team are crazy!!

NO GUN for veteran servers only plz!

[/quote']

I'm tired of all these whiners. Died bout 5 times lately, never had probs finding a weapon/staying sneaky.

Protip:

Start -> System Control -> Programms -> Uninstall ArmA2

2nd day playing and I still think its easy. 1st day, had a little trouble before I justed to a MGS4 style as I realised it aint a simple run and gun game. After that it was crazy easy as long as I dont get within 1m of a zombie. Prone is your friend! with 1.7.1.5 is now even easier since crouch walk is effective if you keep zombies up to 30m away to be safe. I found an M16A2 with 3 clips first day, and recently an AKM with 2 clips from scavenging a dead body in Elektro. Just need patience guys.

2nd day playing and I still think its easy. 1st day' date=' had a little trouble before I justed to a MGS4 style as I realised it aint a simple run and gun game. [/quote']

THIS. READ IT. ACCEPT IT. PLAY IT.

sk_bert quit whilst your ahead mate.

its a waste of your time if your not whiling to learn how to play.

use direct comms and meet people in cities you will always find 1 person that will group now when no one has a gun no one is a threat!!

just make allies fast in the cities thats my strat so far and its taken me to stary and back with that same guy.

most a helpful and if they dont respond there not its quite simple.

if your not willing to adapt this game is not for you. this is what this game is about pre gun or no gun.

ITS JUST A GAME. your meant to learn how to play first!

2nd day playing and I still think its easy. 1st day' date=' had a little trouble before I justed to a MGS4 style as I realised it aint a simple run and gun game. After that it was crazy easy as long as I dont get within 1m of a zombie. Prone is your friend! with 1.7.1.5 is now even easier since crouch walk is effective if you keep zombies up to 30m away to be safe. I found an M16A2 with 3 clips first day, and recently an AKM with 2 clips from scavenging a dead body in Elektro. Just need patience guys.

[/quote']

Yea patience is key, but also common sense.

This afternoon all I heard was "Oh loot is broken, no weapons". Yet everyone who was saying this was in a high traffic area (ie: Cherno, Elektro, Balota AF)

With the number of deaths and newbies entering a server all the time, high traffic areas generally have little loot to offer. Get out of the HT areas and move inland. It's not like you desperately need a gun to go inland, keeping near a road and spending 15 minutes walking will generally get you to a new town and high prioritise the barns and such. Almost always has a lee, crossbow or AKM.

Next to these, if you can't stealth to save your life, is the Deer Stands. They have great loot, and only 3 zeds. Bad news though, if you cant stealth 3 zeds with a 360 degree clear area, give it up now.

in game is manny,many,many weapons,just play and learn,dont cry.20 times you die,20 times learn some new.DayZ is awesome,no game like this exist,good work Rocket (sry for my eng)

@Mansen Wallhack still works for zombies. One even passed thru a wall one time.

Okay for big cities loot starting' date=' but you should mention it in your guide...

[/quote']

In that case you should report it on the appropriate place - it is supposed to be a thing of the past.

so we rushd the shot gun guy and he took both of us out with us no where close to him.

You charged... a guy with a shotgun...

Well it's official - people are stupid!

I recall a forum post where a new player was wondering if there was going to be a time when zombies would not be able to walk through doors/barricades in order to form some semblance of a base. This player was jumped on by 10 people almost immediatly calling him a 'carebear' for a suggestion that would make the surviving experience easier. Something I have also notcied disturbingly enough is that those preaching for a realistic experience one-second would happily join in on the bashing of a realistic idea if it detracted from the hardcore experience.

But what you just described is a horrible idea - and unrealistic. A zombie does not simply get stopped by a door. It will tear and beat it down if it has any sort of inclination to getting through - same thing for any other sort of barrier. They don't think - they have no fear - they just want to nom on you.

Banicks:

"It isn't rocket science."

Oh' date=' but it IS!

[/quote']

Oh but no it isn't - apply common sense. You expect to find medical supplies in hospitals, weapons in barns and other places where people would have made their last stand (a two story café - the lobby of a hotel et cetera) - and you should avoid combat if you are unarmed.

All - Common - Sense

I mean really it is a game about zombies in a russian world that is for some reason filled with american weapons and you are worried about realism?

Stop using the "Hurr durr these X aren't realistic so that invalidates your entire argument" card. The map is an ALPHA "PLAYGROUND". Would you rather they spend time on game mechanics or subtle flavour details? No I didn't think so either... :dodgy: