sai (DayZ)

Force mic chat: skype etc.. thru dayz?

In theory, it could if the game enforced an always active 'Live Mic'. Meaning there is no possible way while in the game to mute your mic, and it was always transmitting.

It could stop you from muting your mic through the game, but many headsets have a physical button to mute. Mine has one about 15cm down the wire from the headset itself, which has 4 buttons (mic mute, sound mute, volume up, volume down). I am pretty sure it does that all in the little box, and the PC never knows (at least about the mic being muted. Never found any traces of it being muted anyw

It could stop you from muting your mic through the game, but many headsets have a physical button to mute. Mine has one about 15cm down the wire from the headset itself, which has 4 buttons (mic mute, sound mute, volume up, volume down). I am pretty sure it does that all in the little box, and the PC never knows (at least about the mic being muted. Never found any traces of it being muted anyw

well the context of this thread was they would be using that same mic to talk to their friends on TS/skype. no one is saying people shouldn't have the option to mute their mic. just that if they're talking to someone in game with their mic, everyone in the 'direct chat' radius should be able to hear it

I would like to see a couple whitelisted veteran servers that make you sign up and assure you aren't going to use out of game devices to aid you in combat.

Maybe when you need to meet up with a friend and you're a newspawn WO walkie talkie though I'd definitely be doing that.

These servers could also be first person only :D

This is what I was stating. This is the only way this can work is if it is enforce by a closed community and even then it is a merit system. Otherwise there is no way to enforce it. 

In theory, it could if the game enforced an always active 'Live Mic'. Meaning there is no possible way while in the game to mute your mic, and it was always transmitting.

No it can't. My headphones plug into the mic jack, not USB. There is no way for the computer to force my mic on since my mute button is an actual device outside the computer's influence. You can get this from a $20 pair of headphones, basically any analog headphones. 

well the context of this thread was they would be using that same mic to talk to their friends on TS/skype. no one is saying people shouldn't have the option to mute their mic. just that if they're talking to someone in game with their mic, everyone in the 'direct chat' radius should be able to hear it

The theory was. The issue is that you can get around it either through the computer or if you come up with an incredibly complex system that can detect every possible computer option you can set like using 2 soundcards or using different channels, it can still be gotten around by simply plugging an earbud into my smart phone and running Skype on that or the very low tech, "Playing in the same room as you game partner." It is unenforceable and thus not viable as an option. It would take me 30 seconds to work around it no matter how much time spent coding it. 

• Like 1

I don't want to hear someones music/living room chatter in the game, and having to mute all 60 (possibly 150 later on?) players to find out who it is.

The theory was. The issue is that you can get around it either through the computer or if you come up with an incredibly complex system that can detect every possible computer option you can set like using 2 soundcards or using different channels, it can still be gotten around by simply plugging an earbud into my smart phone and running Skype on that or the very low tech, "Playing in the same room as you game partner." It is unenforceable and thus not viable as an option. It would take me 30 seconds to work around it no matter how much time spent coding it.

I was just pointing out that no one was saying people shouldn't or can't mute their mic

I don't want to hear someones music/living room chatter in the game, and having to mute all 60 (possibly 150 later on?) players to find out who it is.

it's already like that if they want to hold down 'push to talk' and troll people. if nothing else, it's pretty easy to get out of the direct chat range

I was just pointing out that no one was saying people shouldn't or can't mute their mic

Actually, people were saying that exact thing. 

it's already like that if they want to hold down 'push to talk' and troll people. if nothing else, it's pretty easy to get out of the direct chat range

Yeah, but not forced by the game.

I don't really mean force skype thru dayz, but force everyones mic to direct chat. Just using skype as an example of how we can talk with no one hearing us. 

That would be a pretty serious invasion of privacy.

Definitely a good idea in concept but way too hard to enforce.

This is a meta-gaming problem that cannot be effectively tackled by preventing people from chatting on other services.  Perhaps if we could find a way to boost the value of in-game chat, we might be able to convince those players to use in-game chat over programs like Skype, TS, vent, etc, but until then it is too easy to circumvent to justify spending significant time on.

• Like 1

Actually, people were saying that exact thing.

I didn't see anyone say that. obviously people can not use a mic at all

it should be pretty clear what kind of situations the suggestion in the OP is trying to prevent: people using their mic to talk to their friends in game via 3rd party software, when they are both in direct chat range

Edited by daze23

im all for this feature, more so it would stop one guy coming up and saying he is friendly, while he is telling his friends to flank round and shoot me.  which in a normal situation wouldnt happen because you could hear everything someone is saying as they stand in front of you

and if the game clearly states your voice is broadcasted at all times, then its not really an "invasion" its a feature/gameplay element and if people are really that private, they probably shouldnt be playing a game with other people...

• Like 2

I'm guessing keeping direct chat on at all times by default would do it.

Just force constant direct voice chat.

I don't really mean force skype thru dayz, but force everyones mic to direct chat.

I mean when you buy the game it has a description, for example. 

: Microphone chat always on. Be aware what you say, others may here.

I didn't see anyone say that. obviously people can not use a mic at all

it should be pretty clear what kind of situations the suggestion in the OP is trying to prevent: people using their mic to talk to their friends in game via 3rd party software, when they are both in direct chat range

• Like 1

Needs to happen. Meta faggots deserve to be punished. And LOL at freedom fags bitching about "invasion of privacy". What are you on? Must be something stellar. You use VOIP to coordinate in the game. Why'd you use it to talk about how and who you fucked last night? Idiots. Stop ruining humanity. Jump off a roof.

Imho, VOIP just needs to be forced on at all times. Same people who KOS fresh spawns are the ones that use 3rd party chat to organize their 1337 sn1p3z. Fucking faggots, the lot of you.

Edited by Pipsi Delivery Man™
  • Like 1

I would just use Virtual audio cable set as my default device and then on teamspeak us my actual mic.  So I'd still be super sneaky

quotes....

I don't see any inconsistency there. like i said the context is people using the same mic on skype and ingame chat. if they mute the mic all together, they can't talk to their friends on skype either

Edited by daze23

Ways to get around this proposal:

1.  Use my cell phone to make a phone call.

2.  Use my cell phone with Skype, Google Hangouts, etc.

3.  Use a landline phone.

4.  Sit in the same room with my friend.

5.  Use an iPad with Skype, etc.

6.  Use a separate PC with whatever VOIP software you want.

7.  Use a real radio to communicate with my friend down the street.

8.  Use a ham radio to communicate with my friend on the other side of the world.

9.  Do I really need to go on?

Ways to make this idea work:

1.  Hire an elite team of former Special Forces operators to track down DayZ players, infiltrate their homes, and destroy any other device which could be used for out-of-band communication.  Oh, and kidnap any friends who might bring over their PC for a LAN party.

2.  Oops, that's all.

Do you understand now?  Give it up!

Edited by Junos
  • Like 1

If you were playing with a group of 5 in DayZ, and Everyone had open mics, the ammount of background garbage would make the game unplayable.

Player 1 has a friend over, and he is talking to that friend while playing the game.

Player 2 has a dog barking

Player 3 Is shouting at his mother to turn the TV down

Player 4 has a lawnmower going outside his window

Player 5 is trying to tell the group to head north

Random Fresh spawn is running past and has a Broken mic, causeing ear bleeding sounds

Random Bandit is trying to sneak up on the group and is talking on TS3 aswell

Can you imagine the sounds coming out your speakers?  Does not sound like fun to me.

• Like 3

It would be amazing to do it but It is not possible sadly.

If you were playing with a group of 5 in DayZ, and Everyone had open mics, the ammount of background garbage would make the game unplayable.

Player 1 has a friend over, and he is talking to that friend while playing the game.

Player 2 has a dog barking

Player 3 Is shouting at his mother to turn the TV down

Player 4 has a lawnmower going outside his window

Player 5 is trying to tell the group to head north

Random Fresh spawn is running past and has a Broken mic, causeing ear bleeding sounds

Random Bandit is trying to sneak up on the group and is talking on TS3 aswell

Can you imagine the sounds coming out your speakers?  Does not sound like fun to me.

Oh and that doesn't happen in skype already?

What is your point?? You are using something that already happening in skype etc and putting it on dayz as a bad thing. 

The broken mic thing is not a problem as I have said way to many times now.

And the bandit is giving away his position. He wouldn't do that, you like others are just grabbing at anything you can and making things up.

• Like 1

Oh and that doesn't happen in skype already?

What is your point?? You are using something that already happening in skype etc and putting it on dayz as a bad thing. 

My point is:

1.  The team of 5 can play the game, using the current system of TS3 with PUSHTOTALK enabled, thus the 5th Player can give orders without his ears bleeding.  Enabling the feature in this thread, means no group of players can be near eachother, becuase of the overwhelming background noises that would happen.

2. The Fresh spawn wont fix his mic, because HE CANNOT HEAR IT, only others can with your proposed system.

3. Software that is DEDICATED towards voice communication (TS3, Mumble, vent, Skype, etc ) do not filter out background noises, its not even technically POSSIBLE to do that.  If there is noise in a room, the mic will pick it up!   The solution to background noise is PUSHTOTALK.  This feature would not work with PTT therefore will NOT WORK.

• Like 1

My point is:

1.  The team of 5 can play the game, using the current system of TS3 with PUSHTOTALK enabled, thus the 5th Player can give orders without his ears bleeding.  Enabling the feature in this thread, means no group of players can be near eachother, becuase of the overwhelming background noises that would happen.

2. The Fresh spawn wont fix his mic, because HE CANNOT HEAR IT, only others can with your proposed system.

3. Software that is DEDICATED towards voice communication (TS3, Mumble, vent, Skype, etc ) do not filter out background noises, its not even technically POSSIBLE to do that.  If there is noise in a room, the mic will pick it up!   The solution to background noise is PUSHTOTALK.  This feature would not work with PTT therefore will NOT WORK.

This. Plus... Seriously?

you like others are just grabbing at anything you can and making things up.

Once again:

Ways to get around your idea:

1.  Use a cell phone to make a phone call.

2.  Use a cell phone with Skype, Google Hangouts, etc.

3.  Use a landline phone.

4.  Sit in the same room with a friend.

5.  Use an iPad with Skype, etc.

6.  Use a separate PC with whatever VOIP software you want.

7.  Use a real radio to communicate with a friend down the street.

8.  Use a ham radio to communicate with a friend on the other side of the world.

What is wrong with you?  If you cannot comprehend these simple ideas, I conclude that you are insane, and I wonder how you can operate a computer.  Either that, or you're so stubborn that you refuse to admit your idea won't work, despite a mountain of evidence to the contrary.