sai (DayZ)

Force mic chat: skype etc.. thru dayz?

Is this possible?, as it is I can chat to anyone on skype such as team mates without anyone in game knowing I'm around. It would be cool if dayz forced voice to direct chat, it's more realistic that way. Imagine sneaking up on two guys chatting away as they search for loot. Just seems like an enjoyable feature. 

• Like 4

Exactly how are you going to do that? I can use Skype on my phone with a tiny earbud in under my normal headphones and no game in the world will ever be able to tell it is happening. Since my phone hooks into the wireless router there is no cost to doing it. At best it is inconvenient but I would have an advantage on everyone else. Basically it is unenforceable. 

I'm sure it is possible, but it would work much better with TS much like ACRE did for Arma 2. And the guy above me said, they are working on walkie-talkie functionality, so soon buddy.

Because walkitalkies in alpher ATM soon young one soon.

How do walkitalkies replace direct chat? Realistically you'd hear the guy talking into his walkitalke. Any info on how they work? 

Not 100% sure how they will work if you had 2 you can set traps etc.. I even saw a radio channel being played through one on a demo somewhere direct chat has range limits I guess but as for forcing Skype through dayz it will not work people would go crazy even though it would be nice to know what that group of bandits where discussing about my fair while I lay on the floor naked waiting.

Edited by Desryachri

Exactly how are you going to do that? I can use Skype on my phone with a tiny earbud in under my normal headphones and no game in the world will ever be able to tell it is happening. Since my phone hooks into the wireless router there is no cost to doing it. At best it is inconvenient but I would have an advantage on everyone else. Basically it is unenforceable. 

Yeah and people can hack the game and abuse glitches, but it's not the majority. I could have a bigger tv, better pc, better connection. all things effect the game. But not many are going to go out of their way to get a tiny advantage. 

I'm guessing keeping direct chat on at all times by default would do it. 

I've thought about the same thing. Just force constant direct voice chat.

Yeah and people can hack the game and abuse glitches, but it's not the majority. I could have a bigger tv, better pc, better connection. all things effect the game. But not many are going to go out of their way to get a tiny advantage. 

I'm guessing keeping direct chat on at all times by default would do it.

I feel your pain on this one but it's just one of those things which won't change.

I wish it was possible to enforce, but it is definitely not.

There are possibly some other approaches though.

One possibly is to try to encourage in game chat but I can't really think of any that would be enticing enough.

This route would remove the issue of the very many work arounds.

Possibly removing push to talk so that all sound come through the mike, but this may be a bit of an invasion of privacy.

Edited by IcyBlade

Not 100% sure how they will work if you had 2 you can set traps etc.. I even saw a radio channel being played through one on a demo somewhere direct chat has range limits I guess but as for forcing Skype through dayz it will not work people would go crazy even though it would be nice to know what that group of bandits where discussing about my fair while I lay on the floor naked waiting.

I don't really mean force skype thru dayz, but force everyones mic to direct chat. Just using skype as an example of how we can talk with no one hearing us. 

I've thought about the same thing. Just force constant direct voice chat.

Sometimes I don't want people to hear what's going on in my livingroom while I'm playing the game ;) nahh seriously I understand how it would make the game enjoyable but I can't see this ever happening and I mean ever.

I wish it was possible, but it is definitely not.

One possibly is to try to encourage in game chat but I can't really think of any that would be enticing enough.

This route would remove the issue of the very many work arounds.

Possibly removing push to talk so that all sound come through the mike, but this may be a bit of an invasion of privacy.

Not if the feature is in the description of the game. 

Sometimes I don't want people to hear what's going on in my livingroom while I'm playing the game ;) nahh seriously I understand how it would make the game enjoyable but I can't see this ever happening and I mean ever.

Mute your mic in that situation. Just thinking of solutions. 

Not if the feature is in the description of the game. 

What do you mean exactly.

If your referring to it actually being enforceable  consider that the game has no control over other applications running on your PC and you could even resorty to using other devices i.e. skype on iPod or even chat on phone.

exactly! this leaves two choices : Speak with team mates (and broadcast what you say in prox chat) or don't say anything at all.

Don't forget, DayZ isn't for casual players... (although we have some)

That would totally work, but not all mics can be muted with a button and ALT tabbing every time would be a joke.

do you use a separate mic for ingame chat?

Ill always only use Skype, if this is added ill block dayZ from recognizing my mic hardware. I don't ONLY talk about DayZ and don't want my business elsewhere.

Edited by Frell

What Icyblade said,It could be seen as invasion of privacy, even tho you agree to something it can be forbidden by law. I can imagine some countries being agianst this (not the game itself but the idea behind it, tapping of other voice coms) if you have a other people in your room for example its invading their privacy aswell and they dindt agree to it. 

I don't really mean force skype thru dayz, but force everyones mic to direct chat. Just using skype as an example of how we can talk with no one hearing us. 

Mute my mic and use skype with phone. It's not so inconvenient and the advantage is actually fairly large if you are forcing everyone to broadcast all the time. 

Edited by Mercules

Ill always only use Skype, if this is added ill block dayZ from recognizing my mic hardware

Still the majority of this activity would be reduced.

What do you mean exactly.

If your referring to it actually being enforceable  consider that the game has no control over other applications running on your PC and you could even resorty to using other devices i.e. skype on iPod or even chat on phone.

I mean when you buy the game it has a description, for example. 

: Microphone chat always on. Be aware what you say, others may here. 

Have you checked out the controversy behind X-Box always having the mic on? 

You're one of those immersion junkies aren't you?

Why don't you go camp out in Chernobyl or something