maxim1200

Why i KOS most of the time.

So, Here we are, it's finally here, the Dayz standalone!

Oh but did we think it will change anything within our inner selves?

no.. we remain the blood thirsty killers we once were, but why is that? is that because we seek to loot? is it because we think that simply taking one's life will grant us of his time spent looking for the items we might, or not have?

Maybe.... Maybe not...

But for one thing I am certain...

Why do I kill on sight, it's very simple you see, if I don't shoot I will get shot and then you complain "OH BUT U NEVER KNOW", well yes I would never know if he is friendly but if I tried would it be worth giving up on the hours I spent? and think of the other guy as same, he might just think I will kill him and shoot me!

There is NO SOULTION TO THIS, there will never be. There are nice people and bad people and we can't tell the difference, not for now.

So remember, better safe than sorry.

• Like 1

This has been very hard to read, but i got the point and i disagree. Killing someone on sight (unless in military camps, it's fair game there) without asking him to lower the weapons, leave or just trying to avoid him will just make more people accept this mentality. We got the chance to start over again, and with a steady influx of new players. Don't teach them to shoot on sight, teach them to interract with others.

Yes, there will always be people who KoS, you cant dictate how someone plays a game and it IS a playstyle, but there are always other options. I made so much friends by helping random people that i still play with. And so what if you die? What good is all that gear if you are going to use it to run around the map never leaving the treeline and interracting with people?

Stop being so paranoid, you would be suprised how the game becomes more interesting

• Like 3

In human history we have proven we are selfish and aggressive.

We have however also seen that when faced against a common enemy people will band together to overcome the more powerful opposition, then they will either continue fighting each other or perhaps form meaningful alliances.

This can be used, by making zombies far more numerous, deadly and aggressive so that they become this common enemy. Additionally zombie hord mentality may also encourage player grouping, as in war, mirroring oppositions behaviour is common, generally as you don't want them to have the advantage.

Can't stop people fighting but you can persuade them to at least not fight each other.

• Like 2

In human history we have proven we are selfish and aggressive.
We have however also seen that when faced against a common enemy people will band together to overcome the more powerful opposition, then they will either continue fighting each other or perhaps form meaningful alliances.

This can be used, by making zombies far more numerous, deadly and aggressive so that they become this common enemy. Additionally zombie hord mentality may also encourage player grouping, as in war, mirroring oppositions behaviour is common, generally as you don't want them to have the advantage.

Can't stop people fighting but you can persuade them to at least not fight each other.

Did you read the post, or just copy-pasted your own from that other thread thinking it was relevant?

• Like 1

My roommate and I ran into two armed survivors the other day. We could have killed them (and indeed my roommate wanted to) but I talked the situation down. They put their guns away, and as we happened to be running the same direction on the road, we had them run in front of us so we could watch them. Finally we came to a crossroads and we wished them the best of luck. Nothing ever came of the situation. You can rationalize your behavior all you want. But it's not the only way to handle a situation.

Besides, you people act like dying in a video game actually has meaning... lol. Sometimes, it's worth the risk to have that interaction with other people. It makes it interesting. If I die, I'll just get geared up in like 30 minutes and be right back where I started. I guess this game is just too hard for some people, so they have a fit and go on a KoS rampage when they lose their "precious" M4.  :rolleyes:

gWlpvpy.gif

Edited by SalamanderAnder
  • Like 4

Did you read the post, or just copy-pasted your own from that other thread thinking it was relevant?

Its another KOS thread so I would say its definitely relevant.

I did copy paste over 3 threads for KOS, this is due to not knowing which would be the best thread to put it on.

Sometimes its far more entertaining to have a tense conversation with a random someone for a few minutes, than a 10 second gunfight. Its worth the risk of getting killed. Well said SalamanderAnder ;)

• Like 2

Honestly, I love the interactions that happen on DayZ, they are some of the most tense and most entertaining interactions I have had in a game.  But KOS'ers...they ruin that fun (I understand in NWAF, but killing new spawns on the cost, come on).

two of my last 3 encouters ended in civil yet tense backing off. First I approached an armed player, told him I had eyes on him and to keep running forward and he wouldn't be shot. He complied, I backed off, bunked down on the side of the road to see if he was going to double back for a sneak attack, he didn't, I moved on.

The second encounter was the exact but a total flip, got held up, told to move off or be shot, complied and all was well.

The third encounter sadly ended poorly for both parties. I was looting NWAF (I always come here prepared and willing to die) when I walked into the back of the fire station. Two players armed with M4's standing in the stairwell, out numbered I got nervous fast, figured better get them now then risk it. Got the sneak on them, first player clean kill, me and the second player exchanged shots, I caught him in the chest and side and he hit me in the head. I'm not sure if he survived, but I felt sufficently happy with 1 kill, 1 wounded.

KOS is often a flightly nervous reaction for me, when I feel seriously threatened I'll fire first out of self preservation. And sometimes when properly gearead with a nice rifle and a scope I'll highway bandit in hopes of scoring some extra loot or for the thrill of hunt. But mostly, I'm a scavanger like the rest.

Edited by grifims

6 random player encounters so far.
First 2 all friendly and wanted to team up.
Although 2nd guy admited almost getting a heartattack :p
As I said to them: I got 10 bullets and would rather not waste them on some poor guy with an axe :)
A third guy came over as well and we all proceded to loot in peace.

This was all at Balota.
So I headed up north and ran into one of the smaller military camps.
2 more axe wielders came up. They started circling me but my M4 made them friendly and we got back to barracks looting :)
Had to be a bit more harsh and treatheing but no shots fired.
Just after they left Mr.Kos came running at me while I was picking up some gear.
6 bulllets later he was dead and I could enjoy some nice trashtalk to his corpse.
As I said to him: If you want to be a dick, learn to aim :)
So far 5/6 good guys and one dead guy with bad aim.
PS. Thanks for the spare ammo :D

So this reminds me of the other night. I was in that town south of NW airfield up in a smokestack just scanning the horizon. Was about to climb down when I saw someone running through the town below me. I got my m4 sights aimed and could have shot him as I watched him run house to house looting and searching cars directly in my sights. I then asked in direct if he was friendly instead ( which I try and always do before just shooting someone) he stopped and said he was and that he was waiting for his group and I could join if I wanted. So being as I've been playing lone wolf since SA came out, I decided to join up. Went and had fun looting the airfield with them until I got shot by someone else at the airfield.

For me, it's always worth the risk on interacting with a stranger rather than KoS. So far as I've been playing, I haven't killed anyone unless they've shot at me first ( which many do and miss). As someone else stated, what's the point of having all that gear if your too afraid of losing it and just hide in the forest?

• Like 1

I kos because players just alt f4/combat log when approached.

DrunknesMonster

If they do that they are no longer a treath :)

My best moments in dayz were some very tense mexican standoffs. I would never trade that in for the times I got shot by some basterds. The player interactions, good or bad, are absolutely worth the risk. I personally think that everyone that just kos every player denies himself and his fellow survivor some of the greatest parts of the game. Think about it.

DrunknesMonster

Yeah, I don't get it. If they log off then... They can't hurt you? lol.

I had an interesting interaction on the road a few days ago, I was walking alone to link up with my friend in Mogilevka, when I saw a guy coming the opposite way over the road. We both froze. I had an m4, and he pulled out his fire-axe. Then, I raised my weapon, and hit f1 to wave at him. He waved back, so I lowered my weapon again, and he put away his axe. We gave each other a wide berth as we passed, and that was that. I can think of many situations where this sort of thing has been the case. So far I've only been shot at twice, both failed to kill me. Also one guy tried to kill me with an axe in Cherno (but come on, that's Cherno), and I successfully killed him and escaped anyway.

So most of the time, I don't think kill on sight is really necessary. The more people follow that path, the more other players are going to respond. It's like a disease. You kill a player for no reason, and there's a chance he'll get super frustrated and "RAMPAAAAAAAGE!!!" Because like yourself, he has adapted to someone else's treatment of him. Basically, you're taking your frustration with one or two people out on everyone else indiscriminately. You just have to stop and ask yourself if it's honestly worth it.

Edited by SalamanderAnder
  • Like 2

DrunknesMonster

I have a strong feeling you will KOS even after they implement logout timer...

This thread made it really simple for me.

There are two types of DayZ players, People who play for the loot, and people who play for the experience. 

The first type can fall into two groups, People who want PVE servers, and People Like the OP. 

The Second type are people who enjoy player interactions over finding loot. 

• Like 2

DrunknesMonster

Hmm...y I can understand your point to an extend. Its right that players are no threat if they disconnect, but hey you want to have their loot right? Its pretty difficult to be a good bandit in the current state of the game. I can assure you: If you would try to rob me I wouldnt disconnect.

I tried to see only the best intentions in your post, dont let me down now ;-)

Maybe force feed you some rotton food. lol. But until they implement some other things to do say vehicles, it is pointless to stay north after gearing up. All this server hopping, ghosting, combat logging players ruin the military areas. I try to go with the "spirit of the game" and head south for some interactions.

DrunknesMonster

Maybe force feed you some rotton food. lol. But until they implement some other things to do say vehicles, it is pointless to stay north after gearing up. All this server hopping, ghosting, combat logging players ruin the military areas. I try to go with the "spirit of the game" and head south for some interactions.

DrunknesMonster

The only time I've killed another player was when I was north of Cherno with a fire ax, and some unarmed guy came running up to me. I tried to talk to him in direct, but he kept running and started swinging his fists at me. To this day I still don't understand what he was thinking when he did that.

(On Standalone) Minus the times when I was killed by a KOS'er, the other times I have seen another player all ended in a tense moment or entertaining one.

Like last night me and 6 other guys were in Starry looting the town and were grouping up getting ready to head out.  All of a sudden one of the guys in our TS yell out "Guy Guy Guy coming at us down the road with a bat".  We all raise our M4's and point them at him and spread out (so if the guy does take a swing at one of us we don't get killed in the cross fire), but none of us take a shot.  One of the guys in the group yell at him in direct to stop and he does in the middle replying "Don't Shoot Dont Shoot, well actually wait let me put all my gear on the ground".  So he puts his gear on the ground and looks at one of our guys and says "Ok kill me, I didn't want you to damage anything I had on me and I want to die anyways.  All of my group is on the cost".  Then came the "should we kill him", "is this a trick", "what if this is a trap of some sort".  Then he says "Use your axe, don't waste your ammo on me".  We decided after doing a scan around the area that it was not a trap and axed him in the head (which he got back up from...so we hit him a few more times) and he thanked us and we told him to have a good one.  Had we just KOS'ed that would not have been anywhere near as fun or tense as it was.