Sign in to follow this  
DefoneESP

New to the game? I got you bro.

I have been playing DayZ for a while now, had some long lasting characters as well. The SA (standalone) isn't all that much different (aside from being alpha and prone to bugs new items) and the same rules apply, so here is some info for you new players that I have come to find useful in my travels. These are very basic principals that I use when starting out.

THIS IS A GAME, NOT REAL LIFE

DO NOT GET ATTACHED TO YOUR GEAR, YOU WILL LOSE IT

PEOPLE EXPLOIT BY SERVER HOPPING OR COMBAT LOGGING, GET OVER IT UNTIL ANTI-LOGGING FEATURES HAVE BEEN IMPLEMENTED

THERE ARE PLAYERS THAT ARE BETTER THAN YOU, ACCEPT IT AND LEARN FROM IT

Starting out: Most likely you have spawned somewhere between Kamenka or Chernogorsk. Some of you may have spawned at Novy Sobor, Kamyshovo, or just east of Three Valleys (not sure if it is marked that on an in-game map) first thing you need to do is figure out WHERE you are. You can do this by either finding major distinguishing features surrounding you (land features or man-made features such as buildings, farms, etc.) and referencing them with this holy grail of a map CHERNARUS

OK, I know where I am: So now you LEAVE THE COAST. Most likely if you are reading this, you have spawned a couple times, been killed by players or zombies (more commonly another player). The coast is dangerous, it is littered with new players and geared out elite veterans or bandits, most will Kill On Site (KoS), some will humiliate and rob you (I am guilty of this). The SA has made the coast even more appealing now with the addition of the very LARGE military compound at the Balota airfield, a military outpost NE of Kamenka etc, this will only guarantee your contact with other players and a painful death. Also any goods or gear available on the coast are probably gone due to heavy player traffic. You will have a better chance of survival by moving inland. Look on the map, find the nearest inland town/city and head towards it, reference your map with your current surroundings (terrain association) to get to your desired location.

Food and drink: these are more important than finding a weapon! Once you get to your location start searching, I tend to avoid smaller houses as they don't usually yield that much reward, I stick towards larger houses (two story or large single story). You need a renewable water source (canteen or water bottle) and a stock pile of canned goods. having one or two of each (food and drink) is a good start, but the more the better, you may find yourself in the middle of nowhere starving and dehydrated because you thought it was more important to hang onto that extra magazine or attachment for that rifle you will never find. AVOID ROTTEN FRUIT, sure you can get away with one or two here and there, but ultimately you will get sick, and you will die. It is not worth the risk.

Traveling and Camouflage: You can spot a noob easily. They are the ones making a B-Line from one point to another. They travel on roads during daylight, and usually have a trail of zombies behind them. Don't make yourself a target. Use the terrain to your advantage. Travel in the tree line, it may take you longer to get to where you need to be, but it will be a hell of a lot safer. STAY LOW AND STAY ALIVE, crouching is your friend, maintaining a small silhouette makes you harder to hit. Now that you have been around for a few minutes you may have come across some clothing, be smart about what you are wearing, some may want to make a fashion statement in this post apocalyptic world and be an individual. That is all well and good, but if you are wearing a yellow raincoat and winter white hunters pants you will stick out like a sore thumb. Pick colors that match the environment, browns and greens, black would be acceptable as well. It will help keep you from getting spotted so easily.

Learn what you need and don't need: I say if you got the room to spare, then why not? You can always drop it later for a more important item. Priority should always be Food/Water>Ammo>Medical>everything else (if you find yourself getting hurt more than hurting others, then switch Ammo for Medical). Also in a pinch you can tear some clothing you find into rags and use them as bandages if you are out of actual bandages.

There is more, but I don't want to draw this out any more than I already have. Any questions do ask.

• Like 7