Sign in to follow this  
t1337dude

PvE servers to cure KoS?

Why are all the bad players always complaining about kos ?

KOS is not an exploit or a bug or a game breaking feature its a simple playstyle that some players choose to play with.

PVE servers should never exist.

But, that's not what rocket wants to do. Yes, it's possible, but it's not the plan for DayZ. Has stated in no uncertain terms that his hope is that other players will be the #1 source of danger and drama in the game.

If it wasn't his intention he would have taken Wasteland and made a SA out of that. Player encounters are part of the game but he didn't mean the only "cultural exchange" to be exchanging bullets.

If it wasn't his intention he would have taken Wasteland and made a SA out of that. Player encounters are part of the game but he didn't mean the only "cultural exchange" to be exchanging bullets.

Right, which they're not. There are tons of clans, teams, partnerships and lone-wolf Heroes trying to make a name for themselves by helping survivors. I wanted to find a team this weekend and it took me all of 15 minutes to find a clan that was recruiting, apply on their forums, get their Teamspeak and jump into game with like a dozen people who were cooperating. 

If "everyone" is KoS'ing then why is every one of these threads full of people insisting they hate it and telling stories about what happens when you do not do it?

The game is obviously not mean to be "only" about shooting other players, but the fact is and remains that Dean wants other players to be the primary source of danger and drama in the game. He has repeatedly said as much and referenced the human-on-human drama of fiction like Night of the Living Dead, The Walking Dead and The Road (a story absolute rife with "KoSers") to justify this philosophy.

Yes, more options are needed and will be added for cooperation and collaboration, but the end result is likely always going to be the same - people will play with those they know and trust, and will avoid or kill those they don't. Getting me to group up with complete strangers will require forced mechanics, and that above all is something Dean has said he's not interested in doing.

He's not out to "cure" KoS any more than he's out to cure the zombie outbreak. He just wants people to have more options.

I can see how PvE servers would work.

1.Get on a PvE server

2. Get the best gear in the game without worrying about anything at all

3. Once you have everything go back to a PvP server

4.Shoot everything that moves

PvE DayZ Servers would be incredibly boring the whole identity of DayZ is Surviving others and the zeds, Plus it would just drain network capacity from Bohemia.

What is the difference between PvP and PvE servers?

I don't understand, why is it worse that a player bandit kills you than an AI one? AI bandits definitely aren't going to hold you up or say hello before shooting you.

I don't understand, if you don't mind dying to AI enemies, why do you mind dying to players? It makes no sense to me. 

Doctor what the OP is trying to say is to remove ALL PvP elements from these kind of servers and just have players fight zombies.

Doctor what the OP is trying to say is to remove ALL PvP elements from these kind of servers and just have players fight zombies.

all 6 of them?

Edited by kottton

Pfffttt

Zombies are frankly boring, and easy as shit to handle. The thing that makes the whole game for me is the paranoia and stealthiness that comes with the potential to bump into other players. Remove that and you have no game really.

I try not to KOS, but that doesn't mean I want it removed, the threat that it could occur or that I could find myself in a situation in which I have no choice improves the game for me.

Edited by DoctorBadSign

Honestly I've only came across one guy before I bled to death in Balota. We both had the same fireaxes, he backed away as i did. Never came after me. Just because the game is PvP doesnt mean every single human being you come across is going to shoot you into swiss cheese. You can't really be a lone wolf forever either, you eventually should group up and strengthen yourself, and not be so paranoid about other players trying to kill you. When I am alone I am very scared that I will come across someone, even when I THINK i hear footsteps I run like hell, my heart pounds, but thats whats fun. I've personally never have been killed by a player before. I personally would like PvE servers but hell, the paranoia keeps me alert. I would like to be in a group though at some point.

Try to enjoy the game. The map is so huge what are the odds of coming across a player? I only did once out of 10 game sessions of about 1 hour or 2 hours. And if you join in a group you won't even need to worry about other players coming to shoot you dead.

DayZ is not "about this" or "about that."  DayZ simply is. 

There are no rules.  That is the whole point.  If you don't understand that, or don't agree with it, you're playing the wrong game.

It's really that simple.

KoS is not a problem.  It's not a plague that needs to be cured.  The plague is what has infected the zombies! 

Well, there is one other plague: the one that has infected some players who think the game should prevent other players from affecting them.  Maybe they are the real zombies.  But there's a cure for that plague, too: single-player games.

Edited by Junos

People don't seem to get the moral depth of DayZ---which would simply cease to exist if KOS were removed.

A while back on the mod I came across another player who cried 'friendly' repeatedly outside the firestation in Cherno. I replied that I'm friendly too, then ran out, climbed a ladder onto a platform overlooking the station. My immediate thought was to do this in case they were bluffing and just wanted an opportunity to kill me when my back was turned. I saw him run out, and he'd clearly forgotten about our encounter, assuming I was no threat. Then the question struck me 'should I shoot him anyway?' perhaps he needed a lesson in not being so trusting... 'Should I just do it anyway, just because I can?' I decided not to, but the whole dilemma and fact that I was contemplating the morality of my options in a game is something I haven't experienced before. 

If it was 'I can't shoot him cause the admin will ban me' then you've just removed a whole dimension to the game. Sure some wouldn't have had such a thought process and would have shot as soon as they heard the word 'friendly' but again this is part of the moral landscape in DayZ. The collapse of civilization would bring totally new moral dilemmas for us to face, and some, in the absence of law and order would kill just to survive. Some would also kill just because they can. 

KOS brings a lot of depth to DayZ if you ask me. And this is coming from someone who rarely engages in it.

People don't seem to get the moral depth of DayZ---which would simply cease to exist if KOS were removed.

A while back on the mod I came across another player who cried 'friendly' repeatedly outside the firestation in Cherno. I replied that I'm friendly too, then ran out, climbed a ladder onto a platform overlooking the station. My immediate thought was to do this in case they were bluffing and just wanted an opportunity to kill me when my back was turned. I saw him run out, and he'd clearly forgotten about our encounter, assuming I was no threat. Then the question struck me 'should I shoot him anyway?' perhaps he needed a lesson in not being so trusting... 'Should I just do it anyway, just because I can?' I decided not to, but the whole dilemma and fact that I was contemplating the morality of my options in a game is something I haven't experienced before. 

If it was 'I can't shoot him cause the admin will ban me' then you've just removed a whole dimension to the game. Sure some wouldn't have had such a thought process and would have shot as soon as they heard the word 'friendly' but again this is part of the moral landscape in DayZ. The collapse of civilization would bring totally new moral dilemmas for us to face, and some, in the absence of law and order would kill just to survive. Some would also kill just because they can. 

KOS brings a lot of depth to DayZ if you ask me. And this is coming from someone who rarely engages in it.

You clearly don't get the meaning of KoS don't you? KoS happens no matter what distance, you don't even need to be close to the other player or even interact with him, it's enough that you see him on the horizon and that automticaly makes you pull the trigger. "Killing him because i can" is KoS and has no reason. "Killing him because i want something the other player has/might have" is a reason.

All you fussy boo boo whiners who are always bitching shut your fuckholes up!! You destroyed eve online and your not going to destroy this too!!!

All you fussy boo boo whiners who are always bitching shut your fuckholes up!! You destroyed eve online and your not going to destroy this too!!!

Trying to bring the thing that was once there is not called destroying, it's called 'rebuilding'. You can't destroy something already destroyed.

Cool. I'm glad this thread got some posts. KoS is a gameplay feature, stemming from PvP, which is also gameplay feature. The problem is some people want it both ways. You simply can't erase KoS without erasing PvP elements. As long as you can possibly kill other players - players are going to do so, just because they can. They can incentivize teamwork as much as they want - ultimately this is a zombie apocalypse simulator, and the "it's either me or you" mentality is completely fitting. As I see it, there is absolutely no way you can prevent people from KoS in a meaningful way.

2 Different Common Solutions that Aren't Really Solutions

Incentivize Teamwork - I don't care if making friends with another player could give me more health, more vehicles, gear, gameplay options, etc. - as long as that same player can always potentially be the one that kills you, the trust issue becomes a bigger issue any other issue, and there's no good reason to keep your life constantly on the 'edge'. Players with good gear will always be afraid of other players, no matter what potential benefit they can be.

Punish Bandits - This has been implemented in the form of breaking gear, and in the past, forced bandit costumes. Ultimately, this is only a small incentive to not kill another player. Killing other players is not only about attaining gear, it's about attaining a safe environment. For many people, it's purely about the sport of the hunting and killing.

They could make it so that by killing a player, you break all of his gear, get negative reputation, etc. - it ultimately doesn't matter - another player can always be reasonably deemed to be a threat, there's nothing that can prevent KoS.

If anything, the option to KoS should be embraced. It makes the game a lot more entertaining and tense. I think it's a great idea to add incentives for teamwork, but it will certainly never stop people from killing others on sight. Some players will never embrace the idea of KoS, and DayZ will never be for these players. If you give them a PvE server to fool around in, at least everyone can be satisfied. No reason to nerf the PvP aspects of the game for people that enjoy PvP, the game has reached its popularity and status through PvP alone (nobody really plays DayZ for the zombies).

Edited by t1337Dude