Sign in to follow this  
t1337dude

PvE servers to cure KoS?

PvP type players and PvE type players will never see eye to eye about anything gaming.. They both have their places and they are both fun.. To say their is no PvE room in the ZA are ignorant, To say their is no PvP play in the ZA is also ignorant.. I'd shoot the face off a person I do not like, But a back story and storyline would not hurt either

Currently it's just 99% KoS and 1% no KoS. The server i play on has just about the right balance, some days players are nice to eachother the other day they aren't. I currently have -500 humanity ( it regenerated a bit already from zed kills ) left from a few days ago where i shot two other players who shot one of the guys from another group on the server i play on to help him get his gear back so i'm not completely against pvp it just has to have a reason like i did. Another day a few players grouped up and killed a hero to get his armored HMMWV and forgot to get his key :lol: . I could also gun down every guy i see in the field if i wanted to...

More zombies:

Find something more irrelevant. Zombies never have and never will be a threat, just dance around them and thats it

If zeds could actually overwhelm you and deal repeated damage and keep you from moving  ( f.e. like in the movies where a person gets overwhelmed by a mob and thrown to the ground but this doesn't happen too often in the game ) people would take zeds seriously.

Edited by Enforcer

Last night, a person with an M4 entered a building that I was hiding in. I drove an axe into the guy's skill as he ran by me (so I could use his weapon) and killed him. His corpse lectured me over the mic that I was everything that's wrong with DayZ.

So this got me thinking. The only real problem with KoS is that it's too harsh for many players. They can't cope with the idea that enemy players are more dangerous than the zombies (which is a common theme in zombie movies). Why not implement PvE servers, so all those players can take their carebear personalities elsewhere?

There may not be an incredible lot to do on them - but that's the point, people can't handle surviving against multiple types of enemies in the apocalypse. They begin to get incredibly whiny and blame their frustration on everyone else.

I already saw a PVE server in the server list days ago.  It's already been done.  There are also "RP" servers with specific rules when it comes to KoS'ing.

I already saw a PVE server in the server list days ago.  It's already been done.  There are also "RP" servers with specific rules when it comes to KoS'ing.

Same with the RP server i played on years before DayZ...players going on a killing spree couldn't understand why spree killing was forbidden...the spree itself wasn't the problem if it happened one a day but it happened every 5 minutes once a respawned guy got a hold of a weapon..and it was always a certain group of players.

Well, it's a vicious circle that'll never end because everyone has his standards.

There'll be PvE server,

there'll be PvP server,

and there'll be PvP hardcore server 1rst person only --> :))))

And KoS will never be as fun as taking your chances when meeting a "survivor".

At least for me, when you have died 9121 times and tried most of the DayZ Mod, you get used to it and you want to try different things.

DayZ, it's about experiences and point of view, I guess..

Buying a PVP based Alpha game and then people start about complaining about the PVP aspect and the bugs, plx staph

Rent your own server, set the rules, use whatever means at your disposal to impose them.  Ta-Da!  PvE server in a nutshell.

Obvious is obvious  :emptycan:

Edited by RN_Max

Rent your own server, set the rules, use whatever means at your disposal to impose them.  Ta-Da!  PvE server in a nutshell.

Obvious is obvious  :emptycan:

And get your server shutdown..

Yeah right, like what never happened in the mod.  Here come the server police ... not. :lol:

SA is off to such a smashing start as it is..

boring..

why play??

even with 50 players in such a huge map pvp is a joke..

gameplay even for an alpha game is shit..Why not just call it open beta??

Devs pretty much admit, they have no idea how to give what was promised..

Bugs

Bugs

Bugs

nothing to do in game even if you like what can come..

Devs better come up with something besides lame pvp with zombies

Oh I AM the story?? I make my own story, Yeah wish I thought of that 30 buck download>>

You're a funny guy.

OK i'll bite.

An open beta is a game that is feature complete - this in no way describes DayZ.

An alpha has Bugs, Bugs, Bugs and believe it or not as someone who has purchased an alpha it would be nice if you could log these Bugs instead of stamping your little feet.

And btw - get back on topic - you want to whine create your own thread.

• Like 5

PvE servers... No facepalm pic on the entire internet is in scale for that.. I understand your intent. But with time once the dust settled KoS will stop. When storage is a possibility people will be doing that instead

^ I like this guy 2 posts above

Edited by Chauz

Hmm when talking about KOS people tend to use the terms "kill" "pvp" and "kos", as if they meant the same. I am against kos and I am discussing it since the beginning of time. At the same time I am absolutely against PvE servers.

There is a difference between shooting someone for a reason (greed, afraid, feeling threatened, starving etc.) and just killing everyone on sight because its "fun" or because you dont care about others and want to eliminate he slightest chance of loosing your gear.

SNIP [ ... bla bla bla

Once I have loot what do you want me to do with it? 

pve is just a pathetic idea ....... bla bla] SNIP

Uhh, Nope.

Edited by icedon

A few servers we were on had SO many carebear players and mods. Dayz is a harsh brutal world that some players just aren't equipped to deal with.

A few servers we were on had SO many carebear players and mods. Dayz is a harsh brutal world that some players just aren't equipped to deal with.

Uhh, Nope. They are equipped to deal with it - they are carebears. They help other people instead of just shooting them. Which ist much more difficult.

Kos has always been a "problem" the fact is its not going anywhere, you shouldn't be punished for it, game isn't meant to be played lone wolf, if you go with a group you're a lot less likely to get shot at unless its by another group. Its actually quite realistic, if society was to break down completely IE  a zombie Apocalypse there would be plenty of nuts out there killing people just because they could actually get away with it.

Stop making threads crying about it already, there's a general for this whining anyway.

No I have to admit the idea has some serious promise it would cut the constant whinging sessions that are always being played out on the forums and in game! One step I believe that would need to be implemented for definet though would be the inability to use the same character on PvE and PvP servers and I think they would be on to a winner! I wont be playing on a PvE but it would be nice to get rid of all the constant complainers give them their own forum too!  :D

Hmm when talking about KOS people tend to use the terms "kill" "pvp" and "kos", as if they meant the same. I am against kos and I am discussing it since the beginning of time. At the same time I am absolutely against PvE servers.

There is a difference between shooting someone for a reason (greed, afraid, feeling threatened, starving etc.) and just killing everyone on sight because its "fun" or because you dont care about others and want to eliminate he slightest chance of loosing your gear.

That's the only thing people complain about and nothing else. I don't mind beeing shot by a player because i drive around in a car he wants but just KoSing fresh spawns or confusing DayZ with a giant deathmatch with zombies as decoration is just not an intended part of the game.

• Like 1

That's the only thing people complain about and nothing else. I don't mind beeing shot by a player because i drive around in a car he wants but just KoSing fresh spawns or confusing DayZ with a giant deathmatch with zombies as decoration is just not an intended part of the game.

I am finding allies :)

In human history we have proven we are selfish and aggressive.

We have however also seen that when faced against a common enemy people will band together to overcome the more powerful opposition, then they will either continue fighting each other or perhaps form meaningful alliances.

This can be used, by making zombies far more numerous, deadly and aggressive so that they become this common enemy. Additionally zombie hord mentality may also encourage player grouping, as in war, mirroring oppositions behaviour is common, generally as you don't want them to have the advantage.

Can't stop people fighting but you can persuade them to at least not fight each other.

• Like 1

Okay, then no need for DayZ to fill that niche, eh? If you want a PvE zombie killing and loot collection game it sounds like you already have an option.

Before Alpha was released Rocket suggested on stream to play PZ because it was basically his inspiration for DayZ. If you played both you can see a lot of mechanics similarities in SA.   

This can be used, by making zombies far more numerous, deadly and aggressive so that they become this common enemy.

But, that's not what rocket wants to do. Yes, it's possible, but it's not the plan for DayZ. Has stated in no uncertain terms that his hope is that other players will be the #1 source of danger and drama in the game.

Zombies, no matter how "numerous, deadly and aggressive" will be an AI - and any AI, no matter how sophisticated, will be "beatable" in the sense that it will follow rules and patterns which players can learn and manipulate to their advantage. 

Further, developing a sophisticated AI is a long, exceedingly complex task. Even for a talented developer, coming up with an effective behavior system for an intelligent enemy is not a weekend task. It can take months to design, test and refine. For a small team, it's an enormous commitment of resources.

Human intelligence, on the other hand, is completely free! It already exists and the developers don't have to spend any time "working out the bugs" or asking us to test it and report issues. Nature already did the testing and bug fixing, via hundreds of thousands of years of evolution through natural selection.

Can't stop people fighting but you can persuade them to at least not fight each other.

You can, but why would you

There's this disturbingly pervasive notion that rocket's grand plan is to "simulate the apocalypse" or something of that sort. We can argue for hours about how people would "really" behave when faced with these situations, but it's a pointless exercise. DayZ is not setting out to accurately simulate human behavior in an apocalypse. If it did, we're missing all sorts of necessary functionality from agriculture to animal husbandry to sex and reproduction. The human experience in a "real" apocalypse would be vast, complex and human and it's insane to imagine a game attempting to recreate it.

rocket, unless he has changed his plans vastly in the last year, wants to create an open-world sandbox game where survival mechanics and zombies force players to struggle to survive and in doing so are faced with "moral" choices which they are free to make on their own - good, evil or neutral. Whether or not to indiscriminately murder everyone who is not part of my trusted group of friends is, and will likely always remain, a viable and common method of playing the game. Even if you're "good" you need to learn to deal with the presence and prevalence of this type of evil. Good, after all, is only meaningful in the presence of evil. If everyone is "forced" to be good in order to survive, then it ceases to be a noteworthy choice. You are good because that's how the game is played. That's so much less interesting than choosing to be good because that's how you personally desire to play the game.

Frankly, I love it. The industry is choked and overflowing with games that offer "false" choices. Horde or Alliance? It pretty much doesn't fucking matter. You're going to be doing the same dungeons and killing the same enemies as everyone else. I would hate it if DayZ offered the choice of being evil, but then simply smashed it into the ground with a series of artificial barriers and behavior modification mechanics. That's not a real choice.
  • Like 1

But, that's not what rocket wants to do. Yes, it's possible, but it's not the plan for DayZ. Has stated in no uncertain terms that his hope is that other players will be the #1 source of danger and drama in the game.

Zombies, no matter how "numerous, deadly and aggressive" will be an AI - and any AI, no matter how sophisticated, will be "beatable" in the sense that it will follow rules and patterns which players can learn and manipulate to their advantage. 

Further, developing a sophisticated AI is a long, exceedingly complex task. Even for a talented developer, coming up with an effective behavior system for an intelligent enemy is not a weekend task. It can take months to design, test and refine. For a small team, it's an enormous commitment of resources.

Human intelligence, on the other hand, is completely free! It already exists and the developers don't have to spend any time "working out the bugs" or asking us to test it and report issues. Nature already did the testing and bug fixing, via hundreds of thousands of years of evolution through natural selection.

Are you sure he doesn't, I have seen on multiple occasions (eg: http://www.twitch.tv/rocket2guns/b/487181967)  where he has discuses plans to improve and increase the populations of zombies.

Developing sophisticated AI is a taxing development task, but simplifying and undermining a feature because its challenging is definitely not desirable either. Especially when its such a pivotal feature of the game.

Again if you watch the video he mentioned multiple times that when adding feature they would be done properly and to a higher standard, rather than having an initial limited version of features.

You can, but why would you

There's this disturbingly pervasive notion that rocket's grand plan is to "simulate the apocalypse" or something of that sort. We can argue for hours about how people would "really" behave when faced with these situations, but it's a pointless exercise. DayZ is not setting out to accurately simulate human behavior in an apocalypse. If it did, we're missing all sorts of necessary functionality from agriculture to animal husbandry to sex and reproduction. The human experience in a "real" apocalypse would be vast, complex and human and it's insane to imagine a game attempting to recreate it.

rocket, unless he has changed his plans vastly in the last year, wants to create an open-world sandbox game where survival mechanics and zombies force players to struggle to survive and in doing so are faced with "moral" choices which they are free to make on their own - good, evil or neutral. Whether or not to indiscriminately murder everyone who is not part of my trusted group of friends is, and will likely always remain, a viable and common method of playing the game. Even if you're "good" you need to learn to deal with the presence and prevalence of this type of evil. Good, after all, is only meaningful in the presence of evil. If everyone is "forced" to be good in order to survive, then it ceases to be a noteworthy choice. You are good because that's how the game is played. That's so much less interesting than choosing to be good because that's how you personally desire to play the game.

Frankly, I love it. The industry is choked and overflowing with games that offer "false" choices. Horde or Alliance? It pretty much doesn't fucking matter. You're going to be doing the same dungeons and killing the same enemies as everyone else. I would hate it if DayZ offered the choice of being evil, but then simply smashed it into the ground with a series of artificial barriers and behavior modification mechanics. That's not a real choice.

Fair point, there are argument for and against reducing KOS, this was just a potential solution.

However their are plans for agriculture and hunting (see link above) so I would argue that he is setting out to simulate human behavior in an apocalypse. Due to his reference to DayZ mod being a social experiment.

I don't think DayZ will ever have a forced good vs evil mechanic as you mentioned and my suggestion would not remove the occurrences of KOS just reduce it slightly in favor of temporary team work.

Emphasis on the word temporary there. In a lot of great films they are constantly questioning their ability to trust one another. This currently tends to not happen in DayZ, or least not for long as killing the other is the safe option, where as if you needed them or the sound of a fight would result in a zombie attack you could end up in a very tense and I would say therefore enjoyable situation.

Step 1: Join PvE server with a group of buddies. 

Step 2: Walk around and find a group of PvE weenies with some awesome gear. 

Step 3: Mow them down and take their gear for a normal PvP server.