Sign in to follow this  
phoboss

Server hopping is killing this game FAST

That's like moving to the back woods of Alaska to get away from burglars.

yep, the idea of private hives always seems kind of boring to me

• Like 1

Remember its an alpha... just wait till the game comes out and there will be private hives

I think the idea of coming to a town, and finding it stripped clean adds to the immersion. I might die because someone else got there first and took all the edible food. I then have to decide if it's worth checking every house, or if I have to move on. Eventually, you'll find enough to survive on, usually the person who got there first doesn't need everything or missed some things. Also when you see open doors you are more on your guard, knowing that the person could still be around. That's why I would want players to be restricted to one server, or at least have a time out penalty for switching. It creates more tension. 

• Like 3

This Game? You mean ALPHA TESTING BUILD?

What are the reasons behind server hopping?

1) combat logging

2) to gain loot without travel

3) to log into the same camping spot on different servers (tall buildings)

4) server crashes

Anyone else think of any?

IMO when you leave a server you should have to wait 15 minutes before joining another. A punishment for 3 of the above, and for the server crashing, well, fuck it 15 minutes isn't a long time + the server could be back up before then.

I don't know whether it would be plausible to have characters bound to individual servers, with the sheer amount.

GIVE 15MIN TIMER

Edited by thehet

yep it happens , yep they know , yep they know we know that they know ...... we know .. yeah know . shart the bed what was i saying .

Ho yah lets try & come up with ideas on how the issue might be resolved to better the community as a whole . thats the best part of being part of an alpha we may come up with solutions the Dev's might miss.

as far as i can tell it is sort of complex in the sense you try & " minimize " hindering the player ( exploiter or not ) through deterrents , as opposed to NO YOU CANT DO THAT !

just a quick thought vs. gosting 

.1 log out of .A 

.2 log in to .B , .C , or .D in a 15 min span &

.3 trying to log back in to .A will result in a 5 min cool down before getting back into .A

this is only a quick thought vs. gosting & after typing this up am already seeing problems . aswell as not having the technical understanding if its even probable . 

Strip players of everything except food, drink and clothing if they switch servers more than once in a specified time period.  Make a consequence for the action.

I suggested players have to setup a campsite if they want to switch servers and stay in that location, otherwise they would be sent back the beach. Camp site could be crafted in the wild and wouldn't take too long, but would take long enough to be a pain in the ass for server hoppers. Maybe even put a limit on the number of camp sites you can use in a 24hr period.

• Like 1

what do you do if the server is full?

It would be a completely different approach so you should look at bigger servers, bigger map. An actual vast open world were you could have thousands of players online at the same map. Think Planet side 2 like.

Here are a couple of ideas how server hopping could be prevented. 

1. "No-logout-zones". Meaning, there are certain zones where you simply cannot logout in, and if you do, you get teleported to a random location in a 1km radius. 

2. Looted items only safe if you stay on a server for more than 15 minutes. 

3. if you switch servers more than 3 times without either staying on one for more than 15 minutes OR having moved at least 1km, you get punished. banned from switching for 2 hours/killed/teleported....

these are just of the top of my head. personally I like number 2 the best. because you can still switch as often as you like until you find a server you want to stay on. or maybe a combination of 1 and 2. 

I don't like preventing the server switching, because there are a number of legitimate reasons to do so. 

Edited by phoboss
  • Like 1

yep it happens , yep they know , yep they know we know that they know ...... we know .. yeah know . shart the bed what was i saying .

Ho yah lets try & come up with ideas on how the issue might be resolved to better the community as a whole . thats the best part of being part of an alpha we may come up with solutions the Dev's might miss.

as far as i can tell it is sort of complex in the sense you try & " minimize " hindering the player ( exploiter or not ) through deterrents , as opposed to NO YOU CANT DO THAT !

just a quick thought vs. gosting 

.1 log out of .A 

.2 log in to .B , .C , or .D in a 15 min span &

.3 trying to log back in to .A will result in a 5 min cool down before getting back into .A

this is only a quick thought vs. gosting & after typing this up am already seeing problems . aswell as not having the technical understanding if its even probable . 

I think the following algorithm would work well - time  before being able to rejoin a new server should be inversely proportional to the time spend on the previous server.

Totally agree with the thread title.

This is the biggest game breaking exploit for me.

My solution would be you cannot logout at any town or military area if you do when you login you are at a random position 1k from the zone you loged out at.

Or 1 life per server

Whoops missded phoboss post basicly the same as what he said :)

Edited by BL1P

I think if they added a messload of zombies, server hopping would be less prevalent since people can essentially die while logging in or while trying to get military gear. Imagine if the military zones were thick in zombies like deadrising, see how many people hop around then.

They would still hop, but not in the mess of zombies thats for sure.

Perhaps there could be a way to have buildings to have some type of tag. An example being.

If you were able to go to a red house and gather all it's content, that house will be tagged as "Looted" on your end. If you hop onto the server to try to obtain loot in the same red house, it'll appear invisible to you.

every server hopper i encountered with my group (SA or Mod) either died a horrible and embarrassing death, or combat logged in the instant.

extremly terrifying and game breaking. for the server hoppers that is. have a heart!

Edited by Azrail

Yeah this is a major pet peeve of mine as well. The only times I've been killed is approaching barracks as careful as I could only to get greeted inside by someone who was definately not there when I scouted the place. I just came out of a 3 hours session on a server that just restarted; I made the SW to NW trek and every town I hit was untouched and every barracks pillaged clean and probably visited by hoppers every 5 minutes...

But I reckon it's alpha and there's probably plans in the making to combat this, so for now I just avoid barracks unless I know I have the firepower/backup (maybe going in alone with an empty m4 and an axe was a mistake on my part).

No, because thats the only way of getting the message to the dev team that this is a big issue. And yes, been testing the alpha, and in those tests I found a big flaw that needs to be addressed. 

Yes of course the lack of loot respawning is the root of the problem, but even if it does respawn, it wont stop people from logging in and out inside the barracks somewhere on 10 different servers.

No bug reports etc are how you get the message to devs on what is a big issue, im sure seeing as rocket has commented on it numerous times now that combat logging etc etc are all major concerns that the devs are aware its a big issue. Making new threads about it every five mins is nothing but spam

Couldnt we have a 'server code' for loot as such whenever you hopped from server A to server B the loot that is coded to 'server A' stays there or is destroyed. So the more you server hopped youd eventualy end up wearing just your underwear.

Honestly I think the devs need to see how massive a problem server hopping is, so I think it's important that people do talk about it.

This along with combat logging are both destroying the game before it's even started. I'm sure it will get fixed, I have faith in the dev team... But how can the devs fix something if they aren't aware that it's a problem?

Well, Dean was talking about his thoughts on a solution in the livestream that went out right before release so, I'm assuming they know about this. He also said combat logging would be addressed but they weren't going to have any systems in the alpha right away.

It's an annoying issue but I really don't see how it's killing the game. This issue persisted all throughout the mod and was annoying but tolerable. Don't hang out in military bases. Get in, get out. This is true whether server hoppers exist or not.

I posted this thread over a year ago and I think it's a really viable solution as it addresses the problem with very little side effects for people who play "legitimately."

But, honestly I think it can wait. I would prefer they focus on making the game work properly and have a variety of mechanics before getting headaches about loot mechanics, gear distribution, or how annoyed you personally might be that someone spawned behind you and shot you in the back.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby

Serverhopping wouldnt be such an issue if there was a respawn time for loot so you could eventually find what you need staying on one server.

What needs fixing is that bodies disappear if a player loggs out.

Either every server has its own characters or if someone switching server regardless on his current location he will be placed randomly along the shoreline(that might hurt some new players tho)

And on top of that 3 minutes logout timer please¬¬

Edited by eskel

Either every server has its own characters or if someone switching server regardless on his current location he will be placed randomly along the shoreline(that might hurt some new players tho)

And on top of that 3 minutes logout timer please¬¬

That's a ridiculously harsh solution in both cases. My kid wakes up screaming and I've got to wait 3 minutes to log out?

15 seconds is more than sufficient.

All your loot should be left on the previous server and thats it, that will stop it. Then, when I scout an area for half an hour and decide its empty and it is, another player loggs in at that spot with nothing but a flashlight in his hands trying to get easy loot I just ax him politely to back the f off...hehe