Lolbster

My Personal Opinion on New Players and my First Experience

Hey all, 

Today was my second day playing DayZ, and I figured I would throw my thoughts out on the whole new player survival and the amount of random-killing from "Noob-Bandits" that happens.

Twice today, 12/22/2013, have I been killed by someone for no reason at all, with me just running around picking things up, and exploring a game that is entirely new to me,and i will admitit is incredibly frustrating to be killed by someone for no reason, and while I do understand that this game is meant to be survival of the fittest, it is incredibly disheartening and demoralizing to be killed without reason.

It seems to me, that for the near-8 hours I put into the game, only to be killed three times while simply looting looking for things to help survive, that the average new player is at a huge disadvantage. I have watched streams, VOD's, and Videos on YouTube, and they all seem to treat someone with respect, until it is broken, but it seems for show, most of the time.

This is a half-frustration, half-opinion post on the first experience for new players, and how mine went.

While it may seem like a rant, I have enjoyed the game in it's early alpha, and it is incredibly well done for it being an Alpha. 

In closing, I would like to say that the game needs some form of system, to help new players jump into the game, and not be killed without rhyme or reason by bandits/other players running around in the new cities with M4's and Mosin's.

-Lolbster / SinnerGaming

• Like 2

A lot of people complain about the KoS attitude. It is a problem that needs to be dealt with.

Today I logged in just outside of Balota. I then, unarmed, ran in there, just to be shot on sight by some guy with an M4.

• Like 2

In closing, I would like to say that the game needs some form of system, to help new players jump into the game, and not be killed without rhyme or reason by bandits/other players running around in the new cities with M4's and Mosin's.

NO DayZ will hopefully not go casual!!

It should stay the hardest multiplayergame ever. Or one of them.

But you're right in all the other points. There should be a "puinishement" for fireing bullets. This could be solved with the new Infected-AI for example. 

The best way to play right now is to find a group. With no global chat, random meetings nearly always end in death. A good place to start is steam friends and the forums, find a group and get stronger together.

• Like 1

omfg enough with the KOS complaints. DO NOT APPROACH HEAVILY ARMED STRANGERS WANDERING THE POST APOCALYPTIC HELLSCAPE WAVING YOUR ARMS LIKE AN IDIOT AND ASKING THEM IF THEY WILL BE YOUR RL BUDDY.

omfg enough with the KOS complaints. DO NOT APPROACH HEAVILY ARMED STRANGERS WANDERING THE POST APOCALYPTIC HELLSCAPE WAVING YOUR ARMS LIKE AN IDIOT AND ASKING THEM IF THEY WILL BE YOUR RL BUDDY.

yeah indeed, it's a game with guns, you meant to kill other people not to cry that you cant find friendly people, maybe people don't want to be friendly.

They should just add some PVE servers where crybabies could make friend all day, everyday and be happy.

• Like 1

So, this is not a rant but just my experiences from dying to players in the standalone. I have been playing alone so far….

First, shot from behind while looting supermarket in cherno. I had a melee weapon only and the attacker was no-where near me.

Second, shot while approaching NEAF. I had a melee weapon only.

Third (and this is the kicker) I approached a player in Electro, lowered my pipe wrench, gave a wave and said “I’m friendly”. He asked me to turn around, which I did as I had no gear to lose. He handcuffed me and then beat me with his melee weapon. As I was unconscious I asked him in direct chat why to which he replied “F**k you c**t”.

I respawned only to have another fresh spawn run at me with fists up and swinging. Aggroed two zombies running away and technically died to the zeds on that occasion.

The above experiences were all on AU servers (closest to me). I have been around since the early mod days and attitudes have changed. If you can’t beat them, join them I say.

Oh, and the map looks great.

Theres always a reason to kill, even unarmed players, 1# loot they may have, they may have that can opener you have been searching ages for.  2# if you dont kill them they may arm up and eventually kill you, and then you will regret not taking them out.

tbh if you are running around the streets with a big target on you back then you deserve to be killed.

This is a survival game, not The Sims. Its a game of survival of the fastest, fittest, smartest, safest,  not a game of lets all chat and be friends and explore together,  most games are like that, but Dayz is unique.

Maybe this game isnt for you.

Learn to survive...

I use to be friendly to people too, but after few attempts at making friends I got killed for no reason, so now If I see anyone with the weapon in the hand I shoot first, and then ask questions.

• Like 1

I could understand KOSing other people that have weapons, but when you shoot people that have nothing is just an asshole move. Dont even say "They could find a gun and come kill me" because you could have easily run off before that happens. Lolbster the DayZ community is pretty bad and is kind of ruined by trolls, but sometimes you will find friendly people. Just try and get behind cover before you speak to them. Also like others have said try and find a group.

• Like 3

I appreciate the responses, even the ones opposed to "Cry-babies", This was simply a post to state my first experience, and the experience of majority of new players. :)

The unpredictable nature of us humans in game is actually what I enjoy! The most advanced zombie AI in the world won't strike fear into me as greatly as encountering another 'survivor'...

• Like 1

Luckily not all players are like that. I ran into 8 people yesterday and only 1 group of 3 shot at me. The other 5 (different one each time) helped me find gear and show me around. I was thinking that was the norm but I guess maybe it isn't..

yeah indeed, it's a game with guns, you meant to kill other people not to cry that you cant find friendly people, maybe people don't want to be friendly.

They should just add some PVE servers where crybabies could make friend all day, everyday and be happy.

Or they could just take away the zombies and make it a deathmatch type scenario.

I'm not disagreeing with your point of view or playstyle, but I think Rocket is trying to develop a survival simulation here. I remember the early days on the NZ servers where people were generally more helpful & cooperative and I think I preferred that atmosphere. I'm not saying that I'm not having fun now, it's just different.

Maybe the zombies should be more of a threat?

I use to be friendly to people too, but after few attempts at making friends I got killed for no reason, so now If I see anyone with the weapon in the hand I shoot first, and then ask questions.

Couldn't agree more, I have had the same issues, (no complaints, because I joined the game knowing what it was.) but, you can not trust anyone. I have been playing by myself and have some good loot. If I see someone, they are dead. Its that simple. Thank god this is still in development. I cannot wait for some dirt bikes and better weapons.

Edited by BannWorthRulz

KOS is a vital part of the game. With out it the game just wouldn't be entertaining nor a challenge.

You as a survivor/new comer have to learn techniques and adapt to the environment "In short" Eat or be Eaten.

I'm not suggesting just because you get kos on a regular basis means you resort to it.

Its just a learning curve as a newcomer

Stages

1: Usually 1st your friendly.

2. Over time your trust gets violated again again again depending on your experiences

3. You resort to Kos because you think everyone does or a means of survival.

4. You come to an understanding that banditry is not really challenging and is an easy care free option to play the game.

5. Eventually you will seek a challenge and will experiment with making friends and doing hold up/robberies searching for bandits and saving newcomers

These are just learning curves and all part of Dayz

Please don't let KOS put you off... As long as you learn form your mistakes the Dayz experience only get better and better...

Edited by Aussie Bogan

I don't think implementing some kind of tutorial to help new players automatically qualifies a game as casual.

Being KOS'd unarmed 5 mins after spawning does not qualify a game as difficult either.

Realize too that for the vast majority of DayZ vets the SA is a total new experience. We have a few advantages. General knowledge of the map and likely loot spots, etc. 

I've played the shit outta this game for two years and I died a ton on my first day cuz I had no idea what I was doing.

Like others said, take that demoralizing and turn it into a challenge. 

When you reach the top of that mountain and can lord it over others, you'll feel a great sense of accomplishment.

Also, kudos for taking your deaths like a man and not being a pussy ass combat logger.

But you're right in all the other points. There should be a "puinishement" for fireing bullets. This could be solved with the new Infected-AI for example. 

There is a punishment for firing bullets. If you hit the player in the chest or legs the items that are in there will be ruined and unusable, I don't think this is fully implemented yet as the items are still usable but that should change soon which means if you want a players stuff it's best to try to rob them!

Edited by -RGG-Allan

Gotta laugh at all the self professed fallen heroes.. "i used to help everyone til i was KOS's over and over and now i don't give a fuck, if i see you, you're dead.." etc.

i usually always try to help or hide especially the guys running around towns with the flashlights on because in my mind: flashlight in main hand is definatly not a weapon! Also help as everyone starts the game with one foot already in the grave(spawn: im thirsty! my tummy hurts! my head is throbing... im feeling faint). i've been kosed about 8 times. eh it happens maybe i scared someone maybe just for fun maybe for my stuff if i never died i would already be done with the game.

27 hours played and only killed one person in revenge who smashed my friends head in with an axe. We're not all assholes

Got sniped and then abuse verbally. Thats not the way to play game. I am of strong beleive that they are just asshole ppl in real life. There is no need for that kind of thing. Good people dont do this shit for kicks. SImple as that.  And to all the angry assholes out there, take a fucking chill pill.  

Considering there's M4s around every corner, I think large amounts of killing on sight makes perfect sense

Almost no one is concerned about losing gear, thus they go on killing rampages for fun. I'd say wait until more items are added and the loot table is much more balanced. For now, your job is to find bugs and glitches 

Hey all, 

Today was my second day playing DayZ, and I figured I would throw my thoughts out on the whole new player survival and the amount of random-killing from "Noob-Bandits" that happens.

Twice today, 12/22/2013, have I been killed by someone for no reason at all, with me just running around picking things up, and exploring a game that is entirely new to me,and i will admitit is incredibly frustrating to be killed by someone for no reason, and while I do understand that this game is meant to be survival of the fittest, it is incredibly disheartening and demoralizing to be killed without reason.

It seems to me, that for the near-8 hours I put into the game, only to be killed three times while simply looting looking for things to help survive, that the average new player is at a huge disadvantage. I have watched streams, VOD's, and Videos on YouTube, and they all seem to treat someone with respect, until it is broken, but it seems for show, most of the time.

This is a half-frustration, half-opinion post on the first experience for new players, and how mine went.

While it may seem like a rant, I have enjoyed the game in it's early alpha, and it is incredibly well done for it being an Alpha. 

-Lolbster / SinnerGaming

Thank you for sharing. My advice to you - get a crew. It will be much easier to defend yourself if someone watch your back. And much more fun. Search forums, gaming communities that run servers. Introduce yourself, tell people that you new to the game and want to play in a team to learn the ropes and have some fun. Someone might deny your request but don't you worry, there's a lot of people in search of a good company to play with. Especially after Standalone release. I wish you luck :)