mrscratch

Oculus Rift Support?

I remember reading an article where Rocket was talking about OR support and how great it looks. Does the current build have OR support or did you guys use a third party hack?

EDIT:

screenshot_1.jpg

So I've been fiddling with Vireio Perception and I've put together a pretty ghetto VR experience using it. Here are the following steps to replicate my setup.

0. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! I have no idea if this will trigger a ban, I rolled the dice and if you want to experience this wonder you are going to have to roll the dice as well.

1. Go ingame and turn every setting to the bare minimum. Then go to your user interface video setting and set the size to very large, this will give a more visible center crosshair for quickly picking up easy to see items on the floor.

Note: When I was first experimenting with perception I was consistently crashing out due to some graphics based setting. By turning everything down I was able to get perception to load. You may want to go back and experiment with your graphic settings after you get this running properly to suit your own needs. Be aware however that you may crash at random when changing anything.

2. Go to your keybinds and delete everything that numpad0 is bound to. This button will turn your stereo rendering on and off later so that you can manipulate your inventory. Sometimes you have to push it a couple times to turn stereo rendering off so keep that in mind.

3. Go to your " documents/DayZ Other Profiles/ [YOUR NAME HERE] / " folder and find the [YOUR NAME HERE].dayzprofile file. Open this up in a text editor and look for FOVTOP and FOVLEFT. These are the commands that alter your FOV. For a comfortable rift experience we need to bump the FOV to levels beyond what is capable in the ingame menu to something that our eyes (irl eyes of course) are naturally used to. Be aware however that these settings will cause serious warping when you are looking at your normal monitor and is probably unplayable unless you have your rift headset on. Replace your values with this:

fovTop=1.5599999;
fovLeft=2.77;

4. (this step is not required) Go to your " documents/DayZ " and open up DayZ.cfg. Look for GPU_MaxFramesAhead along with GPU_DetectedFramesAhead. I do not know the mechanics behind these commands as I have not bothered to do any research on them. All I know is that everyone swears that changing these values will increase your FPS. You want the smoothest experience possible with the rift on so it would only make sense to update these values while you are already in the process of altering config files. Replace it with this:

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=4;
GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=3;

5. Download and use this older version of Vireio Perception that I have setup. New versions of Vireio Perception will crash the client. You need this specific version of the outdated Perception in order for it to work.

(Note: This seems to be the cleanest website that offers free hosting provided you do not check the box that says download this with our file manager. If someone would like to rehost this somewhere secure please feel free to reupload it)

6. Copy and paste d3d9/libfreespace from perceptions bin folder into your " steam/steamapps/common/DayZ/ " folder that contains your DayZ.exe file. These are the guys that trigger the stereo effect.

7. If all went well all you need to do now is double click your Perception.exe inside of your perceptions bin folder, make sure you have it set to Oculus Rift and Oculus Track then launch DayZ the way you normally do. Remember that the Mouse Pointer does not render in stereo so your mouse location is absolutely inaccurate when rendering the game in stereo. Press Numpad0 until it disables itself and take your headset off if you need to use anything relating to the graphical user interface. Some options can quickly be manipulated with the arrow keys so if it's something simple it is possible that you can keyboard your way through it.

One last thing, make sure you are running perception when you are running the game. d3d9 and libfreespace will always render your screen in stereo. However it's the perception application itself that blends it into the "3D glasses movie" effect.
Edited by mrscratch
  • Like 4

Bumping back to first page, according to the search feature this is the first time Oculus has ever been mentioned on this forum which I find quite disturbing.

I trully hope VR integration is in Dean's road map !! 

Btw, could any dev/staff tell us if we can use some 3rd party 3D drivers, like Vireio/Tridef/Vorpx. I don't know if this could be a problem with VAC etc...

They were talking about how the interface features 3D models that pop out at you and how impressive the whole thing was. There's a video here of a guy using TriDef to fake a 3D effect which kinda looks like a 3D movie you would see in theaters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVWNbQNvSrc

Bumping back to front page. With all the excited chatter from the DayZ team in regards to Oculus support I'm surprised this is being overlooked.

Yes I agree cl0sed. I did some more searching and there was a discussion for Oculus support in the Dayz Mod section asking about it for standalone about a year ago. The thread is now locked so now that both Dayz Standalone along with the Oculus itself are looking at a release next year whats the status update on this subject?

This would be something i would enjoy a lot and would actually give me a reason to buy a Oculus Rift! 

So if they would put this in i would be a happy man! 

Couple it up to a Virtuix Omni and you can get fit / die from exhaustion in real life!

• Like 3

Its in Early Alpha so I doubt it would get support anytime soon.

Im sure it would also put you at an extreme disadvantage with no 3rd Person

I think it would come with it's own advantages.

Using an Rift, you can freely look as you do with your own head movement / eyes. A glance over the shoulder is just that (once you get used to how the tracking feels).

The steroscopic vision may also aid in picking out moving objects at distance or engaging in hand/hand more accurately.

As you say, it's a post-dayz-optimization goal:

Dean said:

Q: Will DayZ be Oculus Rift or TrackIR supported?’

A: Well I met the Oculus Rift guys at Pax West and tried it out and it was freaking awesome. They were big fans of DayZ and ArmA so we want to do everything we can to ensure that happens. However, ArmA and DayZ suffer from a very complex entity so achieving a locked frame rate at 60 FPS is very difficult because you can’t guarantee what is going to happen and you need that constant 60 FPS to make the Oculus Rift work. So the challenge isn’t to technically support it (because we already do support TrackIR), the challenge is optimizing the game.

You don’t want to optimize too early so we need to do all the innovation and then we do a lot of optimization so we will see how it goes, but we love it and having played with the Oculus Rift myself I can hands down say that it will make DayZ a thousand times better and that’s not an exaggeration. I don’t know how many people have tried the Oculus Rift but if you get the chance to then do it but like I say we are going to have to do a lot of optimization.

Edited by Pants!

As long as OR supports only 720p I will not get it, thats early 90s

That was the early development units resolution.

The second dev kits are reportedly 1080p and the first consumer unit will also be 1080p.

Reportedly, they're also developing a future consumer unit with 4K resolution.

Edited by Pants!

have you ever worn one of these? even 4k won't do the job, i remember getting so sick of it  :lol:  but a cool project though, 

Stop living in the past. Ignorance is a terrible thing so I'll help alleviate you of that. We are finally at the next stage in Virtual Reality technology, and some of the best brains in the business are currently working on it. This is nothing like the gimmicks from the 90's or early 2000's.

Yes the developers version has poor resolution, because it was never intended for mass marketing! Demand at pre-kickstarter and during kickstarter meant that they had to shift from a kit of parts intended for enthusiasts to build themselves, to having to tool up a factory for 20,000 units (last I checked there are about 40-50k units in the wild atm). The only screen available in that demand for a good price for a startup was not ideal and they made that clear from the start. Prototype was a 5.6" screen, Developers Kit 1 is a 7" screen, bigger and heavier than they wanted, but people needed this thing in their hands to start making content. It is adequate at best.

Most likely at the end of next year we'll be seeing the proper Version 1 Oculus Rift, and they've already reported getting the latency from input to photon hitting eye in 5-15ms. Which is insane. Confirmed details of whats coming will be announced at CES in January. But distilled from hints and leaks we're looking at least 1440p(2k) screen at release, 90hz refresh rate, absolute positional tracking (not relative), and other features they're keeping a tight grip on until CES. Oh and apparently the simulator sickness plaguing the devkit has been somewhat solved. Their CEO (who is particularly sensitive) couldn't last 2mins in the devkit, yet reports spending hours in the latest prototype. Where 1 in 5 would get affected from devkit, its somewhere around 1 in 100/1000 people now.

1080p was thrown together as a prototype using the devkit optics to help quell the naysayers saying that it won't work. They've always said that 1080p will not be enough, 4k still won't be enough for fine text detail and 4k is a couple of years away, but screens will keep getting better, and we'll keep getting better VR because of it.

Edited by Kra
  • Like 2

have you ever worn one of these? even 4k won't do the job, i remember getting so sick of it  :lol:  but a cool project though, 

I've been wearing Head Mounted Displays with tracking systems since the mid/late 1990s.

I've 'coped' with 263x230 or worse displays. I've dealt with electronic compasses that always orientated on the nearest lump of metal and orentation sensors that updated a half second after you moved.

The Rift is a total step change from even modern high-end HMDs. I believe it's the true beginning of the future of immersive FPS gaming.

You can be there, or be square :p

• Like 1

I've got one at home, and got it to work with DayZ SA to certain point. ATM with current resolution it doesn't do anything good. You can't see anything in the distance, so really you are on a disadvantage. But like someone mentioned once they push out OculusRift 4K this game will be amazing on it.

I will do some more testing with it, maybe I will menage to improve couple things. Maybe even make a vid ;)

• Like 1

I play DayZ Mod with my Oculus occasionally and the only issues I have is obviously the menu manipulation (mouse location is not accurate) and seeing things accurately further then 50 meters (up-scaling the resolution and bumping the fov to the near 200 range works wonders). This is a serious issue for competitive PvP however when playing in a private hive with friends it was hands down one of the most immersive things I've ever experienced. And this is with fake stereo rendering. I can easily put the headset on and about an hour later take it off then realize that 3-4 hours have gone by.

From what we were lead to believe Oculus support was already in the game. However I get the feeling that they just threw on some tri-def drivers. Also you can play in third person with the Oculus, it's just a really advanced smart phone monitor. Not some kind of injector that changes games when you put it on.

I think it would come with it's own advantages.

Using an Rift, you can freely look as you do with your own head movement / eyes. A glance over the shoulder is just that (once you get used to how the tracking feels).

The steroscopic vision may also aid in picking out moving objects at distance or engaging in hand/hand more accurately.

Indeed. It has some bad drawbacks and some awesome advantages. Obviously the head tracking it awesome. However as you mentioned the stereoscopic vision is the crown jewel. Anyone who has experienced Skyrim can verify that as the only way to explain it is to say that it's like you are there. When I look at a guy in a normal game I can make an estimate as to his distance, say like 5-10 meters away. However with an Oculus I can say that he is accurately 6 player arm lengths away.

As long as OR supports only 720p I will not get it, thats early 90s

As mentioned above that was intended for developers only. As someone who has about two years experience with the Unreal Development Kit switching over to the Oculus UDK was as simple as flipping a switch. After experimenting with a few projects I can tell you right now that the low resolution is obviously not ideal for games like ARMA however if you are building a game that takes place indoors the lowered resolution gets completely lost in the immersion. This is all irrelevant of course as the retail versions will have higher resolutions.

Oh and @Kra, I ordered mine months ago and it was in the high end 80k range. Lots of these units are out there so I'm hoping that we'll see alot more projects popping up in the near future.

Edited by mrscratch

Oh and @Kra, I ordered mine months ago and it was in the high end 80k range. Lots of these units are out there so I'm hoping that we'll see alot more projects popping up in the near future.

Those are just order numbers, no correlation to actual units shipped unfortunately. 40k figure given from Oculus employee about 1-2 months ago so most definitely past the 50k mark, but can't find a source :\

Edited by Kra
  • Like 1

Btw did any of you guys (& girls) managed to get the head tracking to work? I've been trying to work it out for some time now, and still can't see any results.

Btw did any of you guys (& girls) managed to get the head tracking to work? I've been trying to work it out for some time now, and still can't see any results.

Haven't done it myself, but I've seen others using OpenTrack which allows you to take Rift tracker input and emulate TrackIR.

All I know dslyecxi of Arma fame reviewed it and basically said it's shit/novelty toy in it's current form

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxCWwa7u7uM

Not the impression I took from that video at all, 15 mins of harping on about how bad the screen is, but we've already acknowledged that this point is pretty much irrelevant. And the only other issue I hear him talk about is no positional tracking which is also solved.

"I think it's really cool, this is worth supporting. The only thing that is negative about it, is the screen. All the core tech [...] is awesome." -dslyecxi

http://youtu.be/NxCWwa7u7uM?t=27m

Edited by Kra

Can't wait for this either.

The guy who said even 4k won't be enough needs to try some more displays or something. I game on a 1080p 2012  46" Samsung 3DTV using checkerboard 3D less than a meter away from me providing a huge field of view which i love, but sacrifice for fineness of picture. While 1080p checkerboard is still a huge step up from scaled 720p, which i used before (and 2650x1600 before that), I could do with a resolution bump so i hope the commercial version either has a few different versions or is above 1080p. 4K would be sweet and genuinely amazing. I don't think people have made the connection between what high fidelity graphical realism and 3D with a wide field of view can do for immersion and the sense of "being there".

This game is frikin beautiful in 3D. Too bad 3D movie conversions have soured peoples idea of what 3D can provide.

Edited by Thane

Haven't done it myself, but I've seen others using OpenTrack which allows you to take Rift tracker input and emulate TrackIR.

Alright thanks, I will play around with it and see if i get any results.