Sign in to follow this  
Clumzy (DayZ)

Should it be easier to keep fed/hydrated?

I think the hunger and thirst are actually better then they were in the mod; where it practically played no role.

I also think a lot of people have trouble adjusting from what was almost a TDM game to this more survival oriented game type.

That said, I think some tweaking can be done. I think thirst is pretty well on the mark, seeing how easy it is to bring a bottle of water with you from town to town.

Food needs a bit more tweaking; It's currently rather easy to rise because there is plenty of food around, but I think that it would be better to have food be slightly rarer and it restoring a little more energy.

This way it will feel a lot less like you have to churn down a can of beans every 10-20 minutes and at the same time finding food will feel more like a reward, knowing that will sustain you for another few hours

Considering the focus of the game is survival, yeah finding food and water (in the beginning) is the "central element." Once you get better at the game and progress further, you'll have less issues.

yeah, but if your survival only depends on getting lucky with loot (i died 2 times cause i couldnt find any loot at all), its less exciting

Marathon runners don't stop to skull a can of beans every 30 minutes.

they also don't run a marathon on an empty stomach. I'm sure most would probably eat a particularly high-carb meal before running

I think they fixed it for me. before the last two patches my guy was constantly thirsty. now it seems about right. Only have to drink every now and then.

In DayZ mod I didyn't died from hunger or thirst even once. Not even once.

More, I didyn't even cared about food or water becouse that was no problem at all.

This is how it should be in survival game? Nope. It felt like Call of Duty or Battlefield.

Current hunger and thirst system in DayZ standalone feels alright.

I finally feel like playing during zombie apocalypse where looking for food and water has point, and not only guns and ammo.

Just because you eat just enough to remove the warning, doesn't mean you're full and if you're not full, you'll quickly grow hungry again. Stay ahead of your thirst/hunger.

Don't eat a little to remove hunger.

Eat a lot to prevent hunger.

Edited by Dallas

Once you realise that your hunger and thirst are only depleting so quickly because you're running everywhere you realise that it is fairly realistic.

If you slow down a bit you can go a lot longer without eating or drinking.

well actully no its not.

Current hunger system is insanely exaggerated.

The person eats like a 800 pound person.

well actully no its not.

the amount of running/jogging we do in this game is pretty ridiculous. I'm sure most of us don't run everywhere we go in our day-to-day lives. and if we did, we'd probably have to eat like Michael Phelps. personally I just take the bong hits :)

I don't get what the complaints are. I always have a brief period at the start of a new life where I struggle to find food/drink, but after about an hour of scavenging on my way North I often have too much food and drink to carry and end up filling my tummy. So I don't see it as too hard. I'd only see it being a problem if you are sprinting to the military bases without stopping for food on the way. If you're doing that you're lame anyway.

yeah, but if your survival only depends on getting lucky with loot (i died 2 times cause i couldnt find any loot at all), its less exciting

But this is an issue with the fact loot doesn't respawn yet; not an issue with the actual hunger/thirst system.

I think Hunger / Thirst systems are actually a lot better in SA than in the mod; you actually have to plan ahead when it comes to food and drinks, you never had to in the mod.

Also like many other said you have to, stuff yourself to be able to get along for another 1-2 hours or so.

The only issue I have with the food right now, is that you need to eat like 4 cans of beans to go from hungry to stuffed (water has a similar issue, but it's a bit more logical for fluids).

What I would like to see, maybe when the respawns are added is for food to fill up more per usage and make it more scarce.

The latter is likely not possible until you can get some respawning items going, or fresh players would starve to death looking for food.