Sign in to follow this  
Jafdahl

Item conditions: How do they work?

After doing quite a bot of searching I find myself unable to find any clear information on how the condition of an item affects it.

So far I've noticed the obvious visual difference, especially with clothing and scope, but how does this really affect me?

Does a damaged shirt provide less protection against weather and zombies? Does the condition of my buttstock affect my aim?

So many questions!

So far I've noticed that headtorches wont work when in a "very damaged" condition and a beyonet wont attach to a rifle once ruined.

(Sorry about the lack of formatting etc.)

There's quiet a few things as you explained, That won't work when you try use them if they're badly damaged or ruined, Sometimes you can't dress in ruined clothes, You can't craft a splint with ruined bandages, You can't use a ruined can opener, Weapon optics have shattered lens's, It just give you a status message saying the item is ruined if you absolutely cannot use it.

Basically, when weapons and tools are used their condition goes down an amount. This goes for apparel as well. When a piece of clothing or backpack is hit, the stuff inside is damaged an amount. The same effect for if a gun gets hit or your face. I like to think of the condition system as a scale with pristine as 100 and ruined as 10 > (with a few other categories in there. Each time something is hit a little bit of points are deducted from the score of the item's condition. When it comes to food and medicine I believe it has to do with the amount you heal or how effective the item is. Also with food, it's cond. will decrease the longer you have it; more so with fruit than with canned stuff. Also, apparel's cond. goes down ad you wear it and the environment effects it as well. Hope this helped. If not tell me and I'll try again. Sorry if too long.