betabob

People spawning anywhere destroys tactical play

I am admittedly guilty of this kind of thing... I logged into my server (Colorado 1) and I saw a guy in a Ghillie suit trying to loot something. He wasn't looking at me but my first instinct was to kill him. I had my revolver out and I put 5 shots in before he died and I put one more in to make sure.

After killing him, what I would assume was his buddy, came running in and tried to fire at me with his Lee Enfield but I reloaded and put him down quickly. I felt dirty but it was so good because they had a lot of food, water canteens and an AKM between the both of them..

It's a shame that a damn guy had to come up from behind and shoot me in the head while I was trying to look for AKM ammo in Balotta's hangers.

Would it be possible to have a "Zone" around structures and towns that people will not load into?

For instance if I logout in the Elektro church I would then login along the coast 300m from the outskirt town structures.

Why not simply have it so players can't login if a player is 50-100 meters from their last login location. I could see it sometimes being annoying but it definately would not impede gameplay overall IMO.

It's like an immovable object and an unstoppable force.

I smell a D&D reference in here. anyone?

It's an old WoW reference. Also it causes Chuck Norris to die.

Why not simply have it so players can't login if a player is 50-100 meters from their last login location. I could see it sometimes being annoying but it definately would not impede gameplay overall IMO.

The only problem is that some players might see that, swap a server, move 50 meters and swap back.

players logging in to buldings in towns is the major cuase of this' date=' perhaps an automatic unconscious wake up time (1min) while in buildings can help avoid this. this would motivate players to have to hide themselves in the wilderness or much better in loot camps to avoid waking up dead.

[/quote']

Good idea, you've inspired me.

There could be a Zzz button on the gear screen or another icon on the hud. Pressing the button would check if logging in at this spot would be especially dangerous or not (the icon would indicate this continously, but it sounds like a waste of resources/screen estate).

The check could be a simple distance check to see if you are in X radius of a house/farm/base/town/city with each class having a larger border than the previous. The same restriction could apply if you log out within Y seconds of a shot being fired nearby or suffering an injury/aggroing zombies.

If you decide to ignore this, you would be in some ground based animation and making slight moaning noises while waking up from your nightmare. If we're feeling extra hardcore, nearby zombies have a chance of investigating the sounds.

This would make "server flanking", "server hopping" and generally using disconnecting to save your hide less viable. It would still deprive stolid, proper players of the disconnecting player's loot, however.

IMHO the best suggestion has already been mentioned.

Simply do not allow people to LOG OUT in certain areas (or if that is to hard to code then don't allow logging out inside ANY building)

This would save all the hassle of writing code/scrips for checking if zeds/survivors were nearby, or finding a random spawnpoint etc.

For example, a hatchet wont let you harvest wood unless you are in a forest, simply apply that criteria to a log out request.

I agree; I don't think people should be able to spawn in areas within a certain radius of loot spawns. It is very annoying to spend minutes sitting and watching a town to make sure no one is there only to have them spawn 5 feet away from you when you are lying prone between the military tents in Stary with nowhere to run...

Most smart people that don't just server hop to farm loot usually spawn in remote areas anyway to avoid incidents like this. However, it should be forced in game somehow.

Wow players are finally starting to pick up on this. I've been asking for some sort of anti-connection mechanism from way back and at that time players thought I was the one whining about a "legitimate feature".

The best idea I've came up with for this would be to have the player joining in emit an audible ping noise that can be heard up to an 30m radius away for humans and zombies. In addition, players that are within 200m of the joining player should receive a text message on the lower left side of the screen that a player has connected in their area. This may sound like overkill but remember that the player joining in usually has a huge advantage in terms of the element of surprise as long as they weren't idiots and spawned in exposed areas. In close quarters, the ping would notify in-game players and in longer ranges, the text notification would allow players to be cautious and re-scout/clear areas previously cleared. For the joining player, they should accept that there are risks to disconnecting in "unsafe" areas and try to disconnect in more isolated areas if they don't wish to alert others.

Great to see everyone making good suggestions instead of the usual flame wars! Of all the ones I've read so far, probably the most viable is to stop people logging out either in "danger areas" or within x distance of a zed.

I guess it would work like fast travel in oblivion where it says "it's not safe to do that here" or something. You could even take it further by having "it's not safe to do that here, if you continue to abort you will lose all progress since your last disconnection"... something like that. While we're at it why not stop you from disconnecting while bleeding as well.

This would stop you disconnecting in any of the "premium loot" areas to farm via server skipping, it would stop you disconnecting to avoid zed aggro, and it would make disconnecting during a firefight pretty costly if you've already been hit!

Keep adding good ideas, or giving constructive critisism if you disagree with one. It's feedback and discussion like this that Rocket hopes to find when he reads these forums etc 6hrs a day!

Simple solution:

1.) Whenever you log out of the game your character freezes for 30 seconds, much like getting knocked unconscious. Same if you lose connection for any reason.

2.) Whenever you log in your character freezes for 30 seconds.

Also a message will be sent to all players within 100m.

This would IMO greatly reduce server hopping since simply logging off/on in contested areas would now pose a serious risk. Oh, and it would greatly help fixing DC'ing in combat, too.

Such a feature would greatly encourage people to log off in safe locations, well away from other players.

players logging in to buldings in towns is the major cuase of this' date=' perhaps an automatic unconscious wake up time (1min) while in buildings can help avoid this. this would motivate players to have to hide themselves in the wilderness or much better in loot camps to avoid waking up dead.

[/quote']

This.

No log out in towns.

For dropped connections, move respawn to nearest designated spawn location in wilderness.

I wouldn't want a player's freedom to be restricted. I believe players should be allowed to log out wherever they want.

As such, I prefer the "takes 30 seconds to log out, and logging in makes a loud noise and has a lengthy animation that must play before you're allowed to move" idea.

You can still log out in towns/loot spots, but it's a bad idea. Just like trying to get to sleep in an open building in a real zombie apocalypse.

the EVE solution of having one big central server would easily fix this. but there's a loooooooong way before it comes to that.

Down the line maybe to counter innocent spawn killing perhaps a mechanic for seeing where youre about to log in could be used.(which would then have to have a restriction because it too would be abused.

[/quote']

I like this one! Very easy to implement and it has all the desired effects.

Simple solution:

1.) Whenever you log out of the game your character freezes for 30 seconds' date=' much like getting knocked unconscious. Same if you lose connection for any reason.

2.) Whenever you log in your character freezes for 30 seconds.

Also a message will be sent to all players within 100m.

This would IMO greatly reduce server hopping since simply logging off/on in contested areas would now pose a serious risk. Oh, and it would greatly help fixing DC'ing in combat, too.

Such a feature would greatly encourage people to log off in safe locations, well away from other players.

[/quote']

It wont prevent all cases of disconnet though. DayZ is a slow game and

30 seconds can be nothing even within a fight.

Example: Sniper lands one shot on his victim, who manages to run behind a house for cover. He is still *fucked* as he will be shot upon when leaving his cover. But he has all the time of the world to wait for the 30 sec disconnect.

I wouldn't want a player's freedom to be restricted. I believe players should be allowed to log out wherever they want.

As such' date=' I prefer the "takes 30 seconds to log out, and logging in makes a loud noise and has a lengthy animation that must play before you're allowed to move" idea.

You can still log out in towns/loot spots, but it's a bad idea. Just like trying to get to sleep in an open building in a real zombie apocalypse.

[/quote']

try harder shit for brains carebear noob.

I think the idea of a no spawn area is excellent.

As such' date=' I prefer the "takes 30 seconds to log out, and logging in makes a loud noise and has a lengthy animation that must play before you're allowed to move" idea.

[/quote']

try harder shit for brains carebear noob.

And thank goodness you got banned, what a nasty and unwanted person.

I've noticed what the most popular location for the magical appearance trick is the north-west airport. I think some players are just taking rare loot in hangars and barracks, killing any threat, and leaving at another server to repeat the iteration.

My suggestion is to "save" the game progress in the "safe areas" outside of cities. If you didn't leaved the game in the one of safe areas - you have to begin the new game next time. Maybe it would be more effective to make the safe areas near the outskirts of the cities, but in the wilderness a safe area should be near the any camp tent or fireplace.

I think this issue will persist until characters are bound to servers. Even if the player logs out on the outskirts of town, they'll do it just in distance to log back into another server and those people looting the building? death upon exiting. Although I may be wrong.

You can't restrict where people can log out to continue their progress because you then offer a large chance that if someone's internet farts out for even a minute, they would lose their stuff unfairly.

Spawning into a room making a loud noise? What if the people in the server process this before the player loading in does? it causes that player to be in harms way unfairly to both zeds and other players. (especially if they are just reconnecting after say, internet hiccup.)

Disconnecting leaving the player in game for 5-30 seconds after? Once again, internet hiccup could get this player killed by no fault of his own (other then having a shitty isp.)

Disconnection leaving a player in the game for 5-30 seconds after getting some damage dealt to them sounds more fair if this suggestion would ever be done, it effectively is an anti-escape feature then.

Placing you out of town is also a huge oversight. Imagine this, gunfire breaks out in the middle of Cherno, two groups only two blocks away from each other start exchanging fire. Group 1 suppresses and sends some members to flank, group 2 gets pinned down in a back yard. As group 1's flankers arrive, they see there's no one there. Cause Group 2 logged out and logged back in, they're now just outside of town and flanking group 1.

Or more likely:

Imagine a single scavenger, he carefully sneaks into town, loots the place, then doesn't want to risk going back out of town, he disconnects, hops servers and appears outside of town, bolting to the treeline before the zombies can spawn in.

The unable to move for a few seconds idea is better, 30 seconds might be a bit extreme, especially if someone were to get disconnected as they were sneaking out of town. You'd come in stuck in the zombie hot zone, and 30 seconds is enough for 5 of the suckers to meander around enough to see/stumble over you. Maybe instead of being unable to move, you yawn, your vision is blurred and slowly clears over 30 seconds, And your aim wobbles slowly. The effects might only last about 15 seconds if you've only been offline a few minutes, but if you've been offline for hours, it might take a 45 seconds to regain all your faculties.

How about you just can't log out anywhere there are zombies that can spawn. be really easy to just say "You cannot log out here to many infected near by" Why try to move players when they log in? instead deny them the ability to log out there.

THIS!

I would really like to see some sort of party system implemented... but im not entirley sure if that is even possible within Arma

My suggestion is to "save" the game progress in the "safe areas" outside of cities. If you didn't leaved the game in the one of safe areas - you have to begin the new game next time.

What about those who loses connection/crashes while not in a "safe area"? Automatically killing a character for that seems rather excessive to me.

I think this issue will persist until characters are bound to servers. Even if the player logs out on the outskirts of town' date=' they'll do it just in distance to log back into another server and those people looting the building? death upon exiting. Although I may be wrong.[/quote']

Binding to just one server makes you reliant of that server and we lose a major feature; "global persistency". I believe we can try to combat these behaviours in other ways.

You can't restrict where people can log out to continue their progress because you then offer a large chance that if someone's internet farts out for even a minute' date=' they would lose their stuff unfairly.[/quote']

If someone's internet has enough issues to desync to a certain degree, you may unfairly lose your stuff since other people might see you standing still (point is: the world isn't fair). On a side note, restricting when people can log out isn't inherently suitable to how arma 2 handles units, it's easier to punish players when they log in again.

To make it fairer, you could impose such penalties only in specific locations/conditions, such as being near houses, having zombies chasing you or when you've recently fired/been fired upon. While some might be victims of such a system due to connection issues, ask yourself: How likely is it they get connection problems right when their characters life is at stake?

1 character per server

voila fixed

1 character per server

voila fixed

But, you'll loose the global persistency feature !

Oh, wait, how is that feature even useful ? Oh, yeah. Server-hopping for loot. Besides ? Nada.