kerkkoh

Is streaming / videoing DayZ legal?

Hey!

I would like to know is it legal to record some DayZ gameplay and upload it to Youtube or stream it to the twitch? I just wanted to ask because I'm really new to this video making thing and streaming. If it is legal, I would like to get nice piece of text on the website or somewhere else where Rocket or any other developer of this game would say that recording and uploading / streaming is legal, like some games like have on their websites.

Thank you so much!

Edited by superihippo

Go nuts with it, Dean and Bohemia supports and encourages it!

EDIT: Oh yes, of course. As pointed out below IF YOU MONETIZE your videos you need a license.

Edited by Terrorviktor

dayz is currently one of the top games streamed on twitch !

There were over 25.000 viewers yesterday :D

If you monetize your footage / commentary you need a licence from BIS.

They offer the licence here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?133522-User-Monetization-of-BI-s-games-Audio-amp-Video-content%28e-g-Youtube-Partnership-Program%29

However, the PDF has not yet been updated to include DayZ so it might be wise to contact them about it first before you run ads.

• Like 3

BIS and Rocket NEED you to do it, that is free advertisment for them, and they're concerned about YT copyright BS

First of all, welcome! :)

Secondly, streaming actually helps DayZ. More people find out about the game, or they heard about it previously and wanted to check it out, and making quality videos/streams helps them decide to purchase the game and support thedevelopers in that way.

Go crazy!

A little bit offtopic (still on the same page though), anyone maybe remembers that old video series when the mod first came out? For the veterans, it was the only result you would get by typing 'dayz' in youtube. Don't know how to elaborate it more, it was the series that got me hyped into playing and i would love to watch it again but can't find it.

Actually, this is on topic. See how a mere video can get someone so hyped to play this game, pulls his friends into it and becomes a longtime fan and supporter? :D

• Like 1

There needs to be a viable alternative to YouTube, I'm getting tired of Google and all the dramas they've created lately. Even a site dedicated to gaming videos where the game companies sell licenses to stream their content or take a percentage of ad revenue. All users are forced to declare what their game footage is of and upon upload the video would fail to process if either option was not enabled. I don't know, I just think it's time Google stopped getting rich off other people's hard work and the gaming industry and it's customers reaped the rewards instead.

There needs to be a viable alternative to YouTube, I'm getting tired of Google and all the dramas they've created lately. Even a site dedicated to gaming videos where the game companies sell licenses to stream their content or take a percentage of ad revenue. All users are forced to declare what their game footage is of and upon upload the video would fail to process if either option was not enabled. I don't know, I just think it's time Google stopped getting rich off other people's hard work and the gaming industry and it's customers reaped the rewards instead.

I totally agree, but we have no alternative to youtube and twitch now, and steaming anywhere else is a risk because content won't be seen by that many people

Thank you guys for all the answers.

Edited by superihippo