Frell

Reduce triangle counts in cities

Your video memory is extremely important. If you have a 2 GB card, you want to set your video memory to 2048 Mb.

That wont limit much outside of texture resolution, usually 1GB is enough unless you want to use very high detailed textures

I have a pretty decent pc and haven't seen any fps drops at all with everything turned as high as it will go. I've only played on servers with 10-20 people so I can't say what it would do if twenty people were in Cherno when I ran through. I'm also curious what exactly causes it for most people because its definitely not the geometry. I built an absurd map for Arma3 using L3DT and had close to 400 buildings all in the same place with not much drop in FPS. When I loaded a modified Dayz mod on it my client would auto crash. That tells me its either loot spawns or zombies/other players. Since there aren't a whole lot of zombies in the game right now it might just be loot updates that are dragging you down. You might not be rendering them but it may be loading the items into memory so that it doesn't have to spam your client with updates for 2500 items a second. If nothing else, have you tried lowering the textures down really low to see if that helps your fps?

The game just reacts so differently on different setups, performance varies much more than other engines

try sceneComplexity=50000; or less in .dayzprofile.

the amount of people in this thread who think they know something when they really don't is too damn high.

yes every iteration of the arma is horribly unoptimized, especially in MP.

REALLY ????

Did you even play Arma 3 during the alpha ?

i got 20+ FPS from the alpha to the current version

no, just no. you probably played on another server, another mission,etc. Yes they did the most basic of optimizations. But most MP servers still drag you down to 15-20 if you don't have some beasty i5 or i7.

but arma2/3 is much more horrible anyways. given the data client receives - or rather - everyone is a server. everyone has to calculate everything.

Edited by gouki
  • Like 1

yes every iteration of the arma is horribly unoptimized, especially in MP.

This seemed to come from the terrible server-limited FPS which DayZ doesn't seem to have. But once more zombies get added it might start to butt its head

what you people keep forgetting is that arma is simulator with very high cpu demand, and when i saw that dayz SA kept it`s core features it still is demanding on cpu, gpu is not that important here.

Sorry but I dont think this is true: first: it is DayZ with a different system for calculation (shots, drops, interaction, KI,...)

and second: I have a I5-3570k @4,2GHz in turbo, but my CPU never goes above 40% load and still I am not reaching 50FPS in cities. I changed from a Radeon 6950 to GTX760 for this game and went from 25 FPS to 45 in cities. My CPU load did not change greatly. So all in all I would assume, that DayZ is way more dependant on a decent GPU.

But maybe my CPU is just too good...

Sorry but I dont think this is true: first: it is DayZ with a different system for calculation (shots, drops, interaction, KI,...)

and second: I have a I5-3570k @4,2GHz in turbo, but my CPU never goes above 40% load and still I am not reaching 50FPS in cities. I changed from a Radeon 6950 to GTX760 for this game and went from 25 FPS to 45 in cities. My CPU load did not change greatly. So all in all I would assume, that DayZ is way more dependant on a decent GPU.

But maybe my CPU is just too good...

the game is also largely single threaded, therefore it won't take advantage of all your CPU's cores

the game is also largely single threaded, therefore it won't take advantage of all your CPU's cores

i only have written down what my first cores load is at. I don't really expect Arma2-Engine to utilize multicores greatly... and still my core is never over 60%.... I don't know how to check my GPU load right now.

Making game engines multithreaded is very hard to do, and it is also hard on development. There has to be more behind it than just that but it would probably help a little

I'm running GTX580 in SLI @ 1920x1080 and I have no problems with FPS.

But I do get your point, not everyone has a "high" end PC and it needs to run for mid end PC's as well.

Edited by MCRoadkill

Occlusion culling isn't active yet.

Rocket said this in one of his streams just before alpher went live.

Edited by diznoid

Occlusion culling isn't active yet.

Rocket said this in one of his streams just before alpher went live.

They should probably get this in early, the better it runs the more people will test

Please do NOT come into this thread saying "it's still alpha" 

It's already on their radar. 

You do realize that everyone gets this low frame rate even in other games the further the distant you can see the more you Video Card has to render sure you get better Performance when looking at the ground and the Sky or away from the City Less stuff for your Card to Render. ~Pager

yes but you do realize that cities are terribly optimized as well as the rest of the game.

Now I expected this as its in alpha so they need to gather that data from a variety of hardware then optimize from that collected data.

This is one of the few threads that should not be just ALPHER dismissed.

This is actually some one who Identified a bug that should be addressed at this point in the development stage.

I have a feeling that after the new year hits we will be getting some good updates on this.

Making game engines multithreaded is very hard to do, and it is also hard on development. There has to be more behind it than just that but it would probably help a little

Try running DayZ with the following console command

-nosplash -cpucount=4 -exThreads=7.

That helped me a bit with performance, I cant really tell how effective it is using the other cores. 

Edited by WastelandSamurai

the console commands in launch options didn't help much

I also tried -high and -xp

Dont take what I say as any form of confirmation. Its opinion only.

This subject has been ongoing since at least A1, perhaps OFP.

rgds

LoK

OFP was just as bad if not worse from my experience :) I remember playing the "destroy the convoy" mission over and over to test framerate. That was fun

Btw: Here maybe something important i noticed which maybe the dev already have figured out. Object detail makes a huge difference in framerate. However i noticed on an overcast day while staring at Zelenogorsk all of a sudden i could bump object detail to "very high" along with many other settings like AA and the framerate was very smooth. I switched severs to test my theory out and sure enough, when the sun was out the framerate turned to unplayable. My guess was the lighting effects having to do with it because my shadow setting was "low" and turning my shadows off usually has little impact on performance, however i have never fully restarted the game to see if shadow rendering needs a restart to fully changes its status.

Perhaps the lighting, or the shadows if im wrong, could be further optimized with some other or new DX libraries.

Edited by Thane
  • Like 2

I do remember someone on the Arma 3 forums exposing that the Arma engine was still using stenciled CPU shadows, that could be a possibility

I think I remember reading that in ARMA2 having your shadows on normal or less than normal, it would use CPU rendered shadows. But using greater than normal shadows would use GPU rendered shadows. So IMO you would gain frames from setting to higher quality shadows.
Setting object detail to low does help quite a bit too. Everything else you can max out (regarding your rig). But disable post process, ambient occlusion and obviously v-sync. 

Edited by AlDrag
  • Like 2

I think I remember reading that in ARMA2 having your shadows on normal or less than normal, it would use CPU rendered shadows. But using greater than normal shadows would use GPU rendered shadows. So IMO you would gain frames from setting to higher quality shadows.

Setting object detail to low does help quite a bit too. Everything else you can max out (regarding your rig). But disable post process, ambient occlusion and obviously v-sync. 

Shadows off and shadows on max have no fps hit for me

I went ahead and did some testing and found some weird results i posted here.

Turns out i get a 1 fps increase from enabling shadows after several tests.

Shadows off and shadows on max have no fps hit for me

Probably just your computer. As all computers are different. But I haven't really tried this on DayZ, only know it definitely works on ARMA 2.

But I guess there is no problem there for you anyway :P

I went ahead and did some testing and found some weird results i posted here.

Turns out i get a 1 fps increase from enabling shadows after several tests.

Computers are just weird and always will be. They do unpredictable things xD

They haven't done any client-side optimizations yet. Plus there's something wrong with Nvidia cards atm. My old HD5870 outperforms 780's with two fingers up his fanhole.

They haven't done any client-side optimizations yet. Plus there's something wrong with Nvidia cards atm. My old HD5870 outperforms 780's with two fingers up his fanhole.

Where did you hear this?

Is it on nVidia's end? Will they have to put out a driver for the game to fix it? (which they wont until its final release) or is it because of RV

I'm on a GTX 770 and this scene gives me 22 fps on lowest.

But when looking at the ground or running away from the city I get 60+ (So its obvious its client-side). The games movement and melee and everything is already so clunky, I don't need an astonishingly low fps of 22 ontop of that to further complicate things.

I can tell this has to do with the triangle count most likely overloading the rasterizer because when I look right at the ground in the city I climb up to 60+ fps again.

Yes object detail is on very low, the only thing I have on is post processing (with AO off) because the motion blur helps sooth the horrible framerate a bit

you should look at how much your gpu is being utilized... I'm pretty sure the low frame rates are cause by the servers... the fps is worse in cities because you are being sent a lot more info....

I also have the GTX 770 and when the frame rate is at ~30fps the card is only being used at 25-45% so its not a rendering issue.... this is with everything up full bar Post processing

Try turning your graphics options up.

If you have any settings lower than "High" I believe it gets shifted to your CPU, whereas "high" and above it is your GPU that does it