Sign in to follow this  
Th3mandalorian (DayZ)

Dont Alt+Tab when youre hungry

Hey guys!

My character is 6-7 hours old. Stocked on everything except a descent Uk military vest. I was travelling in the north between Krasnostav and Grishino and i had to alt tab to check the map to get my bearings. My character was hungry, very hungry. When i came back after 2 minutes i was starving to death (in red) and now my screen is gray... Im trying to regain blood now but nevertheless:

- The hunger mechanics are too fast dont you think? If you dont eat during 20-30 minutes you can die. Comon...

And do someone knows how to use Saline? I have one with IV and one without. Can i administer it to myself? But how?

Thx

The food/drink mechanic is still probably being tweaked, but its important to note even if your guy isnt saying he is hungry, he probably isnt full. The hunger/thirst warning only appears when you're at like 30% fullness. Saline is basically the new/less hassle version of blood bags. You can find full salive IV sets that dont require anything or you can find the saline bag and an IV starter kit and put the two together. I dont think you can IV yourself, but ive IVed other people and it works. You equip the full saline+iv in your hands and it should give you the scroll option. 

You need to eat and drink until your character says he/she is full.  Then you shouldn't have to eat or drink for atleast an hour and a half.

• Like 5

You're trying to replace good nutrition and hydration with saline? You wouldn't do that in real life... You can't just eat one can of tuna and drink a pop, and then expect to run 10 km across the map. It's just not physically possible...

don't alt + tab at all is the best advice - not only do people use it for an exploit but also it's a great way to get yourself killed while you aren't watching your character heh.

EDIT: SalamanderAnder - tell that to chuck Norris ^^

Edited by Gwraspe

don't alt + tab at all is the best advice - not only do people use it for an exploit but also it's a great way to get yourself killed while you aren't watching your character heh.

Chuck Norris doesn't need to eat, or drink. He gets his power directly from the sun.

Everyone knows that.  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

How is alt-tabbing DayZ out of the active window an exploit...especially when it leaves you vulnerable and AFK?

NeedsFoodBadly: sorry, browser won't quite for some reason - because you can just right click + exit the programme, a way of combat logging.

I sat in a bush for about 90 minutes to regain some health while using the Steam in-game web browser to do other things. Had to drink a few times, didn't have to eat once though.

The people who are dying of starvation are the people who are using 2xW sprint for 30 minutes solid and expecting not to have to eat or drink as a result of that.

• Like 4

the food and drink work fine.  When you spawn on the coast you're already hungry.  Think of it as if you had a light supper the night before the zombie outbreak and you somehow skipped breakfast as well.   

• Like 1

the food and drink work fine.  When you spawn on the coast you're already hungry.  Think of it as if you had a light supper the night before the zombie outbreak and you somehow skipped breakfast as well.   

Maybe you smoked something the night before so this apocalypse is just an illusion, and you have the munchies.

• Like 1

Ah, yeah. I forgot about that. Honestly, I don't think you should already be hungry or thirsty when you first spawn as if you're playing on a high pop server (which is the best experience, so most people do) the coastal areas are usually picked clean of food and drink unless you got lucky and caught a server restart. Getting your first meal can be a nightmare...

Edited by Mos1ey

NeedsFoodBadly: sorry, browser won't quite for some reason - because you can just right click + exit the programme, a way of combat logging.

Oh, I see.  I think most people play windowed to access maps/wikis/forums/etc. though.  Combat loggers will be addressed and fixed sooner or later though.

In Planetside 2 if you log out and you've taken damage in the last 8 seconds, you die and the guy that damaged you gets the kill.  They might implement something similar to that or perhaps just something as simple as a logout timer.  And if you crash in the middle of a fight, you'll probably just bite it.  Not a perfect solution but for the majority of cases, reasonable.

Edited by NeedsFoodBadly

Ah, yeah. I forgot about that. Honestly, I don't think you should already be hungry or thirsty when you first spawn as if you're playing on a high pop server (which is the best experience, so most people do) the coastal areas are usually picked clean of food and drink unless you got lucky and caught a server restart. Getting your first meal can be a nightmare...

I do.  It forces players to survive rather than mindlessly hunt fresh spawns and it also keeps people from sprinting to NW or back to their bodies with nothing more than a flashlgiht.  I find the aspect of trying to survive quite enjoyable and needing to find food and drink right away gives us an additional challenge to overcome.  If it was up to me we'd all spawn even hungrier, thirstier, and barefoot.

I do.  It forces players to survive rather than mindlessly hunt fresh spawns and it also keeps people from sprinting to NW or back to their bodies with nothing more than a flashlgiht.  I find the aspect of trying to survive quite enjoyable and needing to find food and drink right away gives us an additional challenge to overcome.  If it was up to me we'd all spawn even hungrier, thirstier, and barefoot.

But that's the thing. Now that I've survived a few days I'm geared up, carrying 6 or so cans of food and some fruit, a canteen and a bottle of water. I could go and slaughter freshies on the coast all day. Nothing to stop me - it's them that are hungry, not me.

IMO the first hour of gameplay feels too difficult and then it's plain sailing, potentially even too easy.

But that's the thing. Now that I've survived a few days I'm geared up, carrying 6 or so cans of food and some fruit, a canteen and a bottle of water. I could go and slaughter freshies on the coast all day. Nothing to stop me - it's them that are hungry, not me.

IMO the first hour of gameplay feels too difficult and then it's plain sailing, potentially even too easy.

The first few hours are the best but gathering loot up north can be just as difficult as you start looking for specific gear, not just any ratty hoodie with four pockets and the first M4 you see.  You can waste your ammo on zeds and potentially alert other survivors or you can take an axe to the zeds and risk infections.  Something that might happen often enough to drive real survivors into northern hospitals for the essentials.   The diseases can wreck you as well and compared to how they worked before, we're all having an easy time of it.  There's also the coming impacts of weather on your gear and risk of illnesses from the cold.  There's a lot they can do to make life just as hard for those of us up north as it is on the coast (of a server that isn't reset every hour).

The first few hours are the best but gathering loot up north can be just as difficult as you start looking for specific gear, not just any ratty hoodie with four pockets and the first M4 you see.  You can waste your ammo on zeds and potentially alert other survivors or you can take an axe to the zeds and risk infections.  Something that might happen often enough to drive real survivors into northern hospitals for the essentials.   The diseases can wreck you as well and compared to how they worked before, we're all having an easy time of it.  There's also the coming impacts of weather on your gear and risk of illnesses from the cold.  There's a lot they can do to make life just as hard for those of us up north as it is on the coast (of a server that isn't reset every hour).

Yeah, I'm looking forward to a bit more late game difficulty as development continues but IMO surviving should become more difficult over time not the other way around.

Currently while we should be struggling to survive I'm asking my friend which sunglasses and headwear combination looks better while we try to replace everything we have with pristine versions and at the same time the new players (and unlucky experienced mod players) are repeatedly dying due to starving/dehydration on the coast. That extra 10-20 minutes of play you'd gain by not spawning hungry could be the difference between life and death when the first town you come to doesn't have either a drink or that can opening implement that you so desperately need after you make your break away from the shoreline.

Edited by Mos1ey

That extra 10-20 minutes of play you'd gain by not spawning hungry could be the difference between life and death when the first town you come to doesn't have either a drink or that can opening implement that you so desperately need after you make your break away from the shoreline.

See, that's what I enjoy.  Not knowing if my next character is going to survive.   Making that part of the game any easier would be a mistake.  I'm glad our first priority isn't to find a gun. 

Edited by SausageKingofChicago

See, that's what I enjoy.  Not knowing if my next character is going to survive.   Making that part of easier would be a mistake.  I'm glad our first priority isn't to find a gun. 

Indeed, and that's what I'm hoping to get out of the late game later in development.

Right now I'm finding that I have a 75% chance of survival in the first hour, then like I said before it's a piece of cake from there. I can't imagine how new players that didn't play the mod are finding their first hour...

You need to eat and drink until your character says he/she is full.  Then you shouldn't have to eat or drink for atleast an hour and a half.

What a bullshit. For now it's random because even if I drink 10 bottles of water I won't be full.

I can't imagine how new players that didn't play the mod are finding their first hour...

For me personally it was like "where the heck is all the food and water?"

I have some 6h playtime and died only once: I desperately jumped off a lighthouse after first 20 minutes of game.

My second character did not die yet.

However I've watched lots of mod streams and played Arma III Breaking Point.