michalss

Server Locking

Hi All,

I m just about to get a server from one of the companies who offer that, but im not sure if you can protected the server by a password? I know there is no many things you can do, but i believe this should be primary functionality.

Thx M.

Edited by michalss

I highly doubt you can password them.

This would be breaking probably the providers server license (assuming they are doing the licensing for the servers) 

There truthfully should be no need to password.

And the reason why they don't approve of passworded servers on the public hive is because that would be exploiting (getting easy gear without the need to worry about pvp which is how the game is designed)

Not at the moment.

We want to allow private hosting, which includes passworded servers, but we are finalizing changes to our database that will allow us to run a little data instance just for that server. This gives the best of both having a database and having a private community, without those private communities affecting the main database.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/153994-early-access-important-information-known-issues/

And what was the point originally?

Well we would like to play with friends around the world, but not like this, where anyone can join.

To be honest, that sort of defeats the fun of the game... considering zombies are not anywhere near as intelligent and widespread as they were in Day Z Mod... all you would be doing is running around collecting LOOT in an empty world... which sounds an awful lot like cheating.

locked servers on a private hive are a free ticket to farm loot in a safe area then server hop to kill players. Hence, as stated above, it will only be possible when the items are locked to the locked server.

locked servers on a private hive are a free ticket to farm loot in a safe area then server hop to kill players. Hence, as stated above, it will only be possible when the items are locked to the locked server.

Whatever, my point is that we are many different clans and this would be perfect for us, dont care i cannot use loot from private hive

I would like to notify the DayZ team that servers can be locked in a certain fashion.  I would like this to be removed on the current public level.  Any old time admins will know how to achieve this.  Please send me a message if you need more explanation.  And if you run a server yourself and would like to password it please do not message me as I will not respond to non DayZ Team members.

And playing on the public one and jump between servers while standing in a military area is not? Maybe not as safe, but sure as hell just as easy, if not easier.

Edited by Karnesh

And plaing on the public one and jump between servers while standing in a military area is not? Maybe not as safe, but sure as hell just as easy, if not easier.

While this is currently annoying, this will change.  There will be consequences for doing this repeatedly eventually.  However until the combat logging system is implemented, yes this is being exploited.  But later in development, continually swapping servers will increase the time your player is "in the world" before you login and after you logout.  Thereby making server hoping turn into rolling the dice with worse and worse odds.

Atleast server hoping while in a certain time frame.  Naturally if you are looting a military base and logout, and login to a new server the next day there shouldn't be a consequence because that's the same as logging back into the same server you were on.  Loot may or may not be there at that point.

Edited by NoobAnon

Whatever, my point is that we are many different clans and this would be perfect for us, dont care i cannot use loot from private hive

any my point was that, until they figure a way to lock items to a locked server, the option wont be available..... talk about attitude.

Today i can see there is many server requaring password ? Can anyone please tell me then how this ppl doing it ?

DO NOT LOCK YOUR SERVER!!

If you are a customer of Vilayer, they are atleast warning their customers.  Three times caught with a locked server and your server is deleted.  Don't try to lock it or password it, you will only be digging your own private server grave right now.  Everything is public, until private is available just deal with it, or wait to rent.

^ Pretty much this, there is no way to lock your server atm. Like said Vilayer will give you a warning but they could also just close down your server without a warning. 

So I hope you guys get some kind of private hive soon.

Only thing you could try is a dedicated server and get your hands on the SA files some way.

From an other thread

Here is the old rule set for hosting the mod (public) wether we will be enforcing or not in the near future I will have to get back to you.

16. Private Hives are allowed however we may not be able to help with problems relating to them, any issues you have with these servers should be reported to the server owner.

Dindt read anything about them going after private servers, but then agian it probally isnt their main focus atm and they still can set their focus on it.

And what Rocket said about it,

How can I run my own server?

We want to allow private hosting, which includes passworded servers, but we are finalizing changes to our database that will allow us to run a little data instance just for that server. This gives the best of both having a database and having a private community, without those private communities affecting the main database.

Edited by Chauz