Zero Cool

Zero Cool's Complete(ly useless) Alpha Survival Guide

First off I would like to welcome all new players to the DayZ SA Alpha!

This guide is meant to help you survive your first few hours.

If you have never played DayZ mod then you are in for a real treat. This game will test, not only your survival skills, but your gamer skills as well.

Since the game is in alpha you will find many issues right out of the box, but no worries ... I am here to help you.

First thing you need to do is look at your key-binds. Its important to know what is what and how to get in to your inventory(Tab) or perhaps you want to plead for mercy over direct chat to the  crazy man in his underwear trying to bludgeon you to death with a fire extinguisher(Caps Lock) 

I wont get in to a list since its rather easy to figure out. Kinda. What I will be delving into is some survival techniques that are guaranteed to keep you alive during your first day.

Your first goal ingame is to find a weapon ... ANY weapon. This is important in fending off other players and make no mistake about it, you will be doing just that.

I know you may have heard a rumor about this being a "Zombie" game but its not. IF you see a zombie the best thing to do is avoid eye contact and steer clear. They don't normally bother humans, however, in the event you do happen to anger one of these gentle creatures simply run away. The best course is to run around in a circle, or through some houses. Most times they forget they can just walk through walls, or floors, or anything really and will just wander off. 

Now you may be under the impression that because this is billed as  a "Zombie Apocalypse" its a "us vs them" kinda game. Its not. You should consider anyone you meet hostile. You should also get in the mind set that you will die, because you will, and usually its going to be for no reason. While the game devs have put considerable effort in to discouraging players from a Kill on Sight mentality as far as equipment damage goes its had little to no effect on those that simply want to see the world burn. So lets get to it then ...

I already told you to get a weapon first, this is important. Though technically you CAN fight bare knuckle the combat system isn't exactly user friendly and going up against someone with a baseball bat is going to get you killed. Now once you have your weapon you can spend a little time around your spawn area looking for food and basic supplies. If you run across a water well be sure to drink from it. It might be the only water you find. Always be on the lookout for them. As for food, remember rotten fruit is bad, except bananas. Bananas are ok to eat. The reason for this is you have to remember ....those bananas you eat from the grocery store are rotten. Thats right. Humans consume rotten bananas. If its yellow its rotten. Ever eat a ripe banana? seriously sour stuff right there :(  

Once you have a few things in hand head inland. Don't hang around the coast. Bandits are all around you. Once you make it inland some you can start spending more time in each little village you come across, but make sure to keep one eye open to any danger. Always assume you are not alone where ever you are.

If you happen to run in to someone else there are only a couple of questions you need to ask yourself...
Was I seen? 

Whats the best way to escape?

If you were NOT seen hide quickly, keep track of the others movements. What you do next is going to be based on how comfortable you feel in your surroundings. Make sure the player is alone and not with friends. Shadow him and try to sneak up behind with your weapon ready. Remember, this guy has food and you don't. You will need to kill him to survive! Surprise attacks are ALWAYS the best attacks. Never get hung up on outdated concepts like "honor" or "fair-play". This is, after all, the end of the world and considering how scarce food and drink is its almost a requirement to kill for it. 

If you WERE seen or if there is more than one player you should always run, unless you can separate them, but that's more of an advanced technique so lets just stick with running. 

No matter what you decide on. fight or flight, it is absolutely imperative that you yell over direct chat "FRIENDLY" over and over again. Even if you are beating someone to death with a crowbar. 

Well that should get through the first day.
If I think of more I will add to it. Have fun gaming and remember, if they come at you yelling "FRIENDLY" they most certainly are not.

• Like 2

crazy man in his underwear trying to bludgeon you to death with a fire extinguisher

:D

This happened to me the other day. It was a rather hilarious moment.

• Like 3

You will need to kill him to survive! Surprise attacks are ALWAYS the best attacks. Never get hung up on outdated concepts like "honor" or "fair-play".

What?! No!

You don't have to kill anyone! Tell him to simply drop his weapon or else you'll shoot him. This way you'll almost always end out on top.

• Like 1

should have used the user name crash_overide or Lord_Nikon or even Acid_Burn. Wait, what am i even saying?...Using the names from the move HACKERS is lame as hell...

should have used the user name crash_overide or Lord_Nikon or even Acid_Burn. Wait, what am i even saying?...Using the names from the move HACKERS is lame as hell...

What a random and unimaginative insult .... you must be a child 

What?! No!

You don't have to kill anyone! Tell him to simply drop his weapon or else you'll shoot him. This way you'll almost always end out on top.

Yeah... we know you got that round chambered with no mag. I'm zig zagging at you with my axe. You better be a One-Shot Wonder. :)

Yeah... we know you got that round chambered with no mag. I'm zig zagging at you with my axe. You better be a One-Shot Wonder. :)

I'm pretty sure that you know what I meant. Of course I can kill in a video game if someone's being hostile. I just don't see a reason to shoot first.