quobble

Underground structures are possible

Hello fellow survivors!

I asked it a few times on Twitter, but didnt get a response yet, so Ill post this here too.

Searching forums and Youtube I found a video about the Bohemia Interactive project "VBS2".

For those who dont know what "VBS2" is:

http://products.bisimulations.com/products/vbs2/overview

I watched some information videos about it and found a really nice tutorial, how map makers can add underground structures, such as sewer systems, bunkers, trenches and more.

Currently in Arma 2 and so also DayZ Mod, map makers have to terrain edit their maps and put normal buildings (houses, rooms, above-surface bunkers etc.) into holes which they dug into the ground with editing tools.

Thats when the "VBS2" systems kicks in:

Since their games are usually based on the same engine type, it might be possible that we get those cool structures into the DayZ Standalone too!

I would really like to see buildings with basements, underground parts of military complexes or just casual sewers inside the city, adding a big new layer of the map to the already beautiful Chernarus.

Greetings from Germany,

Quobble

• Like 4

I wish i had that amount of money to buy VBS.

Holy cow its alot of pound notes!

dM

I wish i had that amount of money to buy VBS.

Holy cow its alot of pound notes!

dM

Yea :D but usually an Army gets the money from the government. So they dont have to care about the price if they want to train their units with simulators.

In the long term, its cheaper to buy once good software than buying necessary items for real training. (which they still do)

Edited by =GS=Quobble

/edit

Not sure if there is a final lowest water layer under the map...

Yea :D but usually an Army gets the money from the government. So they dont have to care about the price if they want to train their units with simulators.

In the long term, its cheaper to buy once good software than buying necessary items for real training. (which they still do)

VBS2 PE is $500 dollars only.

Rocket has been talking about such a feature since first talking about SA last year. Hopefully they still plan on implementing something like this sometime.

• Like 2

Sewer and cave systems in DayZ would be legit.

Problem with caves could be the rough underground that might break your legs :D

Although a secret pipsi storage cave would indeed be nice to own.

Although I would love to have a Dev replying on this and explaining wether it is possible or not :)

Problem with caves could be the rough underground that might break your legs :D

Although a secret pipsi storage cave would indeed be nice to own.

What if I told you it's already in-game...

What if I told you it's already in-game...

the secret pipsi cave or basements? (im taking off my pants already)

Well it's already in the Mod...

Or have you not played Namalsk?

the secret pipsi cave or basements? (im taking off my pants already)

Cave

Well it's already in the Mod...

Or have you not played Namalsk?

Namalsk is not an official DayZ Dev map.

The creator of Namalsk made a hole into the map and placed a building (the bunker/lab) inside it.

So its "sort of" not a real underground object.

If you keep in mind that zombies couldnt walk inside there and ontop you most of the time couldnt drive with vehicles, since driving with vehicles in Arma on objects and buildings will make you go bouncy bouncy.

So. SmashT. You are really telling us that there is a real cave in the DayZ Standalone?

Where is it D: please tell us your secrets

NAMALSK
ftw
but being able to dig with a shovel&pickaxe..
:rolleyes: 
ultimate epic win

NAMALSK

ftw

but being able to dig with a shovel&pickaxe..

:rolleyes: 

ultimate epic win

Nah. That would cause destruction everywhere. Wouldnt fit in the game IMO. 

You should check out "7 Days to Die". 

I would LOVE to see military bunkers, sewers, and basements put into the game!  This would add a whole new dimension to gameplay. Imagine, hearing gunshots nearby in Cherno as a new spawn and freaking out. So you see a sewer nearby and jump down into it to escape the action without getting KoS'd. Or even using the sewers to get the jump on the gunman. Epic.

I would LOVE to see military bunkers, sewers, and basements put into the game!  This would add a whole new dimension to gameplay. Imagine, hearing gunshots nearby in Cherno as a new spawn and freaking out. So you see a sewer nearby and jump down into it to escape the action without getting KoS'd. Or even using the sewers to get the jump on the gunman. Epic.

EXACTLY!

or imagine, you want to move from Cherno to NW Airfield and in the middle of the way, in a big dark forest, you find a concrete building. You slowly walk towards it and you notice that its dark inside.

You take your flashlight out, walk inside the house and find a hatch. 

Climbing down the hatch, you find a big underground bunker system that reaches a few hundred meters into the hills of Chernarus.

Down there you find rooms with old soviet era stuff, like old computer rooms, phone systems and baracks.

<3

I so want this.

Edited by =GS=Quobble

I'm planning on creating underground areas in my island NOVA ZONA, but it'll probably have to go down the route of modelling a huge depression into the terrain, then place the tunnels into that.

Namalsk went this route too, but it's not a perfect solution.

I really hope ARMA3 eventually incorporates this, and then maybe SA could port it to the new Chernarus... Fingers crossed..!

I saw your project on some sites. Liked the models you posted there!

The biggest problem I think is the AI walking ontop if those caves and tunnels...

Hello fellow survivors!

I asked it a few times on Twitter, but didnt get a response yet, so Ill post this here too.

Searching forums and Youtube I found a video about the Bohemia Interactive project "VBS2".

For those who dont know what "VBS2" is:

http://products.bisimulations.com/products/vbs2/overview

VBS2 is done by a different company, on their own fork of the RV engine, paid by money of theirs customers and with quite a lot of the features being exclusively available only for that customer (sometimes even for year+) The sooner people realize that BISIM and BI have nothing in common except the 'origin' from OFP game, part of name and logo, the 'base of engine' under specific license terms and some investors ... the better. Different markets and different companies yeild different needs and results... Good inspiration for the DayZ and ArmA teams but that's about it. Rocket has talked about doing underground structures etc later on but they won't be able to use anything from VBS.
  • Like 2