Sign in to follow this  
hawaiianess

DayZ Guide - Your First Day

Please don't judge, and don't critique too hard. I'm just here to help, not to ruin. This is a guide for the newest people to the game.

This tutorial will just be a short tutorial, and a short guide to your first day in DayZ. I won't tell you everything, but I will get you started.

First things first, when you spawn take a look at your surroundings. Take in account every time you spawn where you are by and any close landmarks. Now it is a possibility to spawn more north in the game, which may confuse more newer players. If you have played the DayZ mod, then you should know where you spawn sometimes. The DayZ game is a bit different. I recommend you just keep going on the shore until you get some good gear to start heading north.

Gear, What you want before heading to the hills!:

- You're going to need a melee weapon to kill zombies. ; this is a need because zombie aggro has a longer distance now, and they don't back down. If you find the Fire Axe, then you are in luck. I have found it to be one of the most efficient weapons to kill zombies. It is usually a one-shot-kill. 

- You're going to want a lot of water; at least 5+ canteens worth. You can refill at lakes and water wells, by holding the item in your hand, and scrolling. You can get sick really easily by a majority of things, so use your common sense, and do things you'd probably do/not do in real life.

- You're going to need some food. Find a couple pieces of food. I haven't found that you need too much food to survive.

- Try to find a gun. You might not run in to much people, but this will be helpful if you do. Go on your instinct. I usually don't shoot on sight. I try not to reveal my position when I find someone, but reveal that I do see them. Try ot get them to drop a weapon at least, and make a friendship. Ask them questions and if you don't like them, YOLO. But. . . Don't waste ammo, Use your melee weapons on unarmed and not-so-dangerous people.

Also, you can easily just kill yourself, and get a new spawn, till you can get good loot. lol.

Tips: Try to pick up the least amount of close off of dead people, or sick people. I usually only take clothes if they are on the ground, not on a body. It is very easy to get sick and die. It takes your blood away slowly, and is not fun.

Blood can be replenished slowly by food. It can also be replenished by blood-bags. But watch out. You need to have the same blood type as the blood in the blood bag. If not, you can get sick and all that stuff. 

Try to know where you are at all times, and familiarize yourself with the map. Look for landmarks, and different arrangements/buildings in towns or cities. This can really help you in the future. There is also a website to help you which is www.dayzdb.com/map . . . I usually like to find a compass to know which direction I am heading. You can also use the website I just provided if you know where you are. You can also find parts of maps in game. I like to bind the key to M, just like ArmA 2: OA is.

Do not trust everyone, or as a lot of people like to say, "Trust no-one" It's hard for me to go with that motto cause I am a friendly guy, and I try to keep the game fun, not just

Chernarus+ Deathmatch as I like to say. Try to travel in groups or with friends. It makes the game easier, as you can give tasks to different people, and you can just kill anyone you see or take them hostage. 

Keep it real, but fun. When you die, keep in your mind that the loot that took you so long to get, is just as easy to get again, and maybe even in a shorter time. The game is mixed with skill and luck.

Extra Tips From OTHER Players!:

- If you don't need a pair of clothes that you find on the ground, just right click it, and tear it up. It creates rags that you can use to stop bleeding / bandages. @Slartybartfast

- If you find helmets like Motobike Helmets or M9 Army Helmets (What they are really called) put them on. They help protect from zombie attacks as well as getting hit in the head by another player. @ap1werks ^

- Stay clear from northern places of the map untill you have gathered essential surviving and combat supplies. @Rivenoir

- Clouds go east if you cant find a map, so use that to determine a direction to go. @antiami

REMEMBER: DayZ is about survival. This isn't Call of Duty, or Battlefield. Your goal is to stay alive. Keep in mind every decision you make has a consequence. (good or bad) Try to make a plan before you go out wandering in the middle of nowhere.

Develop tactics, and have fun. You will learn a lot about the game over time, create a relationship, and understand the game more, as you play. This is a guide just for the newest of DayZ players. I have been playing for 3 years so . . . Also. . . Tell me if there is anything I need to add. It is just a really short guide I made, don't judge. Thanks.

Have fun, and peace.

Edited by Aliikekoa
  • Like 5

Good tips! Have my beans :)

Also, if you do find clothing on the ground, rip  'em up for rags. Cause atm zombies almost instantly cause bleeding. You get 2 rags from ripping clothes but you can combine them so they wont take up so much (hard needed) space in the beginning

• Like 1

Also, if you do find clothing on the ground, rip  'em up for rags. Cause atm zombies almost instantly cause bleeding. You get 2 rags from ripping clothes but you can combine them so they wont take up so much (hard needed) space in the beginning

No way! I didn't realize that. Thanks for the tip!

Also general rule is to steer clear of Elektro, Cherno and Sorby (is that the name? It's the one a little below the NW airfield) until you're well equipped. 

Also water pumps are mighty useful since I don't think you can get infections from the water you obtain there.

Also, you might find some motorbike helmets scattered throughout. wear one! it has protected me from numerous zombie attacks. 

Please don't judge, and don't critique too hard. I'm just here to help, not to ruin. This is a guide for the newest people to the game.

This tutorial will just be a short tutorial, and a short guide to your first day in DayZ. I won't tell you everything, but I will get you started.

First things first, when you spawn take a look at your surroundings. Take in account every time you spawn where you are by and any close landmarks. Now it is a possibility to spawn more north in the game, which may confuse more newer players. If you have played the DayZ mod, then you should know where you spawn sometimes. The DayZ game is a bit different. I recommend you just keep going on the shore until you get some good gear to start heading north.

Gear, What you want before heading to the hills!:

- You're going to need a melee weapon to kill zombies. ; this is a need because zombie aggro has a longer distance now, and they don't back down. If you find the Fire Axe, then you are in luck. I have found it to be one of the most efficient weapons to kill zombies. It is usually a one-shot-kill. 

- You're going to want a lot of water; at least 5+ canteens worth. You can refill at lakes and water wells (<-- haven't' found that to work yet)

- You're going to need some food. Find a couple pieces of food. I haven't found that you need too much food to survive.

- Try to find a gun. You might not run in to much people, but this will be helpful if you do. Go on your instinct. I usually don't shoot on sight. I try not to reveal my position when I find someone, but reveal that I do see them. Try ot get them to drop a weapon at least, and make a friendship. Ask them questions and if you don't like them, YOLO. But. . . Don't waste ammo, Use your melee weapons on unarmed and not-so-dangerous people.

Tips: Try to pick up the least amount of close off of dead people, or sick people. I usually only take clothes if they are on the ground, not on a body. It is very easy to get sick and die. It takes your blood away slowly, and is not fun.

Blood can be replenished slowly by food. It can also be replenished by blood-bags. But watch out. You need to have the same blood type as the blood in the blood bag. If not, you can get sick and all that stuff. 

Try to know where you are at all times, and familiarize yourself with the map. Look for landmarks, and different arrangements/buildings in towns or cities. This can really help you in the future. There is also a website to help you which is www.dayzdb.com/map . . . I usually like to find a compass to know which direction I am heading. You can also use the website I just provided if you know where you are. You can also find parts of maps in game. I like to bind the key to M, just like ArmA 2: OA is.

Do not trust everyone, or as a lot of people like to say, "Trust no-one" It's hard for me to go with that motto cause I am a friendly guy, and I try to keep the game fun, not just

Chernarus+ Deathmatch as I like to say. Try to travel in groups or with friends. It makes the game easier, as you can give tasks to different people, and you can just kill anyone you see or take them hostage. 

Keep it real, but fun. When you die, keep in your mind that the loot that took you so long to get, is just as easy to get again, and maybe even in a shorter time. The game is mixed with skill and luck.

REMEMBER: DayZ is about survival. This isn't Call of Duty, or Battlefield. Your goal is to stay alive. Keep in mind every decision you make has a consequence. (good or bad) Try to make a plan before you go out wandering in the middle of nowhere. 

Develop tactics, and have fun. You will learn a lot about the game over time, create a relationship, and understand the game more, as you play. This is a guide just for the newest of DayZ players. I have been playing for 3 years so . . . Also. . . Tell me if there is anything I need to add. It is just a really short guide I made, don't judge. Thanks.

Have fun, and peace.

Staying at the coast seems hopeless to me. Every time I spawn every single house is completely devoid of stuff, and there's no zombies either, which implies someone's been there, shot everything and taken everything.

It seems the best tactic is to hope for a good spawn and then run inland as far away from anywhere anyone would want to go and hope there's still some loot left over from the last server restart. I don't get why they would remove the loot spawn mechanic entirely while refining it.

One thing to note if you can't find a compass is that the clouds always blow east in the game. So if you're lost or need to find your way to someplace, look at which direction the clouds are going and you'll know.

Also supposed to be able to tell which direction you're going by looking at the constellations and finding Polaris.

Also general rule is to steer clear of Elektro, Cherno and Sorby (is that the name? It's the one a little below the NW airfield) until you're well equipped. 

Also water pumps are mighty useful since I don't think you can get infections from the water you obtain there.

Also, you might find some motorbike helmets scattered throughout. wear one! it has protected me from numerous zombie attacks. 

One thing to note if you can't find a compass is that the clouds always blow east in the game. So if you're lost or need to find your way to someplace, look at which direction the clouds are going and you'll know.

Also supposed to be able to tell which direction you're going by looking at the constellations and finding Polaris.

Staying at the coast seems hopeless to me. Every time I spawn every single house is completely devoid of stuff, and there's no zombies either, which implies someone's been there, shot everything and taken everything.

It seems the best tactic is to hope for a good spawn and then run inland as far away from anywhere anyone would want to go and hope there's still some loot left over from the last server restart. I don't get why they would remove the loot spawn mechanic entirely while refining it.

Thanks guys so much. Really.

Move inland and check for loot as you go. Personally I like to head to the north east section of the map as a new spawn. No one, except vets, usually go there and most of the loot is untouched. Berezino is a nice area to get geared up regardless of what a lot of people say. From there you can hit the NE AF to get a M4 and other military supplies.

Avoid Cherno/electro/balota. Its just a KOS fest and usually the loot is gone within 30 minutes of a server restart in most easy to get areas there.

Also, if you are a fresh spawn try hitting a night time server. You probably wont find much at the mil spawn areas, but the rest of the gear you need is plentiful most times. I'm only advocating this due to the lack of loot respawning at this time. Server hopping in mil areas just to get military gear over and over again is just wrong. Find a night server and move from town to town around the map. It really isnt that bad.