Indickua

Feature to really help combat logging.

Ok so me and my 2 friends were about to raid Green mt and we saw two guys, we held them up they surrendered but out of nowhere they both disconnected well great ey nice players right there....

The solution is to have some kind of indicator like them going into a pose or a glowing look to them or a symbol around them to show they are being disconnecting Aholes giving us a chance to end their lives as they don't deserve them if that's what they are going to do. I know this has been thought of before but i also think there should be a 10 second timer or so in which that time they would be doing one of the above "Pose/glow/symbol". Also having a 10 or so meter radius around each player in which you canno't log out would be good I think.

I think this would be a great way to stop people from basically cheating their way out of a situation.

These are just some ideas that came to mind and they may need some extra thought :)

Please leave feedback thank you for taking the time.

Edited by Indickua
  • Like 1

the only thing that stops me from thinking disconnect timers are a good idea is legitimate logouts - if you're logging out legitimately after a sweet session and you are confronted with x seconds before disconnect, you have the 'esc' screen up and so don't control your character. try to imagine the feeling of 'ABSOLUTE WHAT THE FUCK' if your character was shot dead then. sucks

• Like 1

This is a very good idea. Maybe simply adding an animation like the player laying down to go to sleep would work. I think this idea and my own from this thread http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/156009-suggestion-killing-a-player-destroys-at-least-half-of-their-items/ would work great together to fix the problems will holding players up.

The only way to actually curb combat logging is to either not allow logging out within a certain vicinity of another player, or leave an NPC behind in the place of the logger. I don't think an indicator will work.

the only thing that stops me from thinking disconnect timers are a good idea is legitimate logouts - if you're logging out legitimately after a sweet session and you are confronted with x seconds before disconnect, you have the 'esc' screen up and so don't control your character. try to imagine the feeling of 'ABSOLUTE WHAT THE FUCK' if your character was shot dead then. sucks

Yeah I agree with you on that, I think it actually happened to me back in the mod but still what else do we have to fix this. I've really tired of these guys just dcing and getting off scott free it makes the game very annoying as the game as I'm sure you know is largly about player interaction while people are able to just avoid all player inteaction and except from their KOSing when not needed at all not saying all KOSing is bad but not when you are in a situation like that. Also its pretty much your responsibility to find a safe place to log, I only got killed like that when I dc'ed in silly places.

If you know of a better way then please gimme the info I'd love to see it. :)

Edited by Indickua
  • Like 1

The only way to actually curb combat logging is to either not allow logging out within a certain vicinity of another player, or leave an NPC behind in the place of the logger. I don't think an indicator will work.

Yes I agree the vicinity idea is very good I forgot about that, I've seen that in other dayz mods. I'll add it to the list. :)

I don't like how that will negatively impact people who play together.

Personally, I am most in favor of a timer, something along the lines of 20-30 seconds that can be interrupted by both the player (ie., you don't lose control while it proceeds, but can still look around. If you move, use and item, or perform a similar action it resets or stops), and by other players (like the combat indicator in the mod. If you're attacked or shot at, etc, it cancels or resets the timer).

This would serve, in my opinion, as a balance between nullifying combat logging and not screwing over players who are legitimately logging out. While some people wont like the idea that other players can reset the timer, I think it suits the game. If you're pinned down behind a tree, or trapped inside a building by players, you shouldn't be able to easily log off. You should have to deal with such tactical disadvantages.

Having an NPC replace the character is an interesting idea, but it sounds to me like it would be an awkward system. 

Edited by louist

Personally, I am most in favor of a timer, something along the lines of 20-30 seconds that can be interrupted by both the player (ie., you don't lose control while it proceeds, but can still look around. If you move, use and item, or perform a similar action it resets or stops), and by other players (like the combat indicator in the mod. If you're attacked or shot at, etc, it cancels or resets the timer).

This would serve, in my opinion, as a balance between nullifying combat logging and not screwing over players who are legitimately logging out. While some people wont like the idea that other players can reset the timer, I think it suits the game. If you're pinned down behind a tree, or trapped inside a building by players, you shouldn't be able to easily log off. You should have to deal with such tactical disadvantages.

There is nothing forcing anyone to log off next to each other. It'll only further prevent a whole group from combat logging.

i thought SA already features an AI bot anti combat log system

My game crashed earlier, and my friend watched my character walk away from the shore, across the main road and halfway up a hill before disappearing as i was logging back in. And when i came back, i spawned in on the hill, not where my game crashed.

Having an NPC replace the character is an interesting idea, but it sounds to me like it would be an awkward system. 

Its only a few meters, me and my friends always leave a few meters between eachother anyway it would not impact groups at all

i thought SA already features an AI bot anti combat log system

My game crashed earlier, and my friend watched my character walk away from the shore, across the main road and halfway up a hill before disappearing as i was logging back in. And when i came back, i spawned in on the hill, not where my game crashed.

Nope its just lag/glitchy stuff it happened to my fiend today when he kept disconnecting.

Add a 7 second logout timer, logout in a safe place or die

Add server glue, must wait 5 mins to join a different server, must wait 15 mins to rejoin the one you just left

Only add server glue once game is guaranteed stable.

Its only a few meters, me and my friends always leave a few meters between eachother anyway it would not impact groups at all

But that, I feel would be ineffective. What about people who take fire from 20 or 50 meters and log out? Or someone who takes a round in the leg from a distant shot? By the time the shooter has gotten to within the proximity range of the otherwise incapacitated target, they've logged. 

It's a tricky issue, though, and without a clear solution.

I still like the idea of an interuptable timer. Say you are with a partner. One of you has shot someone in the leg, and they crawl behind a wall. One of you could keep up "suppressing fire" at the area of the player to keep him from logging out, while the other sneaks up to disarm/caputure/dispatch the player.

Add server glue, must wait 5 mins to join a different server, must wait 15 mins to rejoin the one you just left

Only add server glue once game is guaranteed stable.

Ah yes indeed good idea

Seven seconds, is nothing, though. That's not much different than the current situation.

I think the mod had a decent anti combat logger feature.

They should make it that if you shoot at someone then they are put in combat status and there exit/disconnect is locked out for a period of time (the bullets that cause them to go into combat status actually need to be shot at or close to the target) and if they decide to alt+f4 or end the games process then the server should leave a clone behind for the remainder of the time the combat status would have lasted (also the clone can also be put into combat status by shooting at or near it just like the player). This would allow players to then keep the clone in combat and if they kill the clone before the combat status period runs out then the clone sends a message to the server to kill the player it was cloned from. And if the clone combat status timer runs out it then sends a message to the server to not kill the player and then the clone instantly disappears.

Thats about as close to being fair to everyone as it gets  in regards to combat loggers or someone that simply had an issue and crashed or something .....i think as its just not possible to do much else.

Edited by Massicor

They already have it sorted out. just not implemented.

Oh do they whats the system they have on standby?

Ok so me and my 2 friends were about to raid Green mt and we saw two guys, we held them up they surrendered but out of nowhere they both dissconnected well great ey nice players right there....

The solution is to have some kind of indicator like them going into a pose or a glowing look to them or a symbol around them to show they are being dissconnecting Aholes giving us a chance to end their lives as they don't deserve them if thats what they are going to do. I know this has been thought of before but i also think there should be a 10 second timer or so in which that time they would be doing one of the above "Pose/glow/symol". Also having a 10 or so meter radius around each player in which you canno't log out would be good I think.

I think this would be a great way to stop people from basically cheating their way out of a situation.

Please leave feedback thankyou for taking the time.

This is already being fixed in the next update within the next hours. 

Quote from link below: " - Design: players who disconnect when restrained will die "

http://pastebin.com/UTnvWGbc

Edited by James MacDonald

I think the mod had a decent anti combat logger feature.

They should make it that if you shoot at someone then they are put in combat status and there exit/disconnect is locked out for a period of time (the bullets that cause them to go into combat status actually need to be shot at or close to the target) and if they decide to alt+f4 or end the games process then the server should leave a clone behind for the remainder of the time the combat status would have lasted (also the clone can also be put into combat status by shooting at or near it just like the player). This would allow players to then keep the clone in combat and if they kill the clone before the combat status period runs out then the clone sends a message to the server to kill the player it was cloned from. And if the clone combat status timer runs out it then sends a message to the server to not kill the player and then the clone instantly disappears.

Or just do what other PVP oriented MMOs do, and don't despawn your character if you log out until the timer finishes. EVE is a great example of this. If you log out with an active combat flag, your ship/character remain in space until it ends, even if you've shut the client down.

I like the death when disconnecting while unconscious or restrained. Those look like good changes. Doesn't mention anything about pure combat logging, though.

Or just do what other PVP oriented MMOs do, and don't despawn your character if you log out until the timer finishes. EVE is a great example of this. If you log out with an active combat flag, your ship/character remain in space until it ends, even if you've shut the client down.

Thats basically what i just wrote lol except i wrote it in-depth so everyone understood.

Quote from link below: " - Design: players who disconnect when restrained will die "

Yeah I just read that actually, thats pretty cool, wish it was death for surrendering also

I like the death when disconnecting while unconscious or restrained. Those look like good changes. Doesn't mention anything about pure combat logging, though.

It does fix the problem he was describing which was players disconnecting during captivity.

As for the combat logging in general, rocket has said that they have a solution for it which has yet to be implemented.

The idea of glowing in the dark trying to log out will never happen, and should never happen.

Edited by James MacDonald
  • Like 1

Ah, my mistake. I though he was referring to combat logging in general.

Glowing would indeed by the wrong way to do it.