Sign in to follow this  
-Gews-

Scope improvements

So someone posted a couple images on Reddit. One with the PU scope, one using the Nagant's iron sights. This is the result:

TTz5rGL.png

As you can see, it only magnifies about 2x. Yet the PU is a 3.5x scope, there were no 2x PUs made. The description itself clearly states "3.5x scope of Soviet manufacture from WW2 era".

As well, it zeroed to 300 meters. However, the real PU has a clearly marked elevation turret with 0-13, meant to represent settings for 0-1300 meters.

8NDhwRz.jpg

As well the reticle moved around inside the scope to the supposed point of impact. They did it in ACE but that might be difficult with a 3D scope so not a big issue.

Just some thoughts...

I believe the ACOG also has too little zoom (2.25x instead of 4x?) but my character was wiped before I used it much. The ACOG also zeroes to 700 meters, which seems inconsistent when the PU is the one with the clearly marked adjustment turret, while the ACOG is intended to use the ballistic reticle.

• Like 3

Some more tests after finding a couple scopes, they all seem to have incorrect zooms:

The ACOG magnifies only 2.2x. This should be changed to 4x.

The M68 magnifies 1.4x. I'm at a loss as to why this is magnifying at all, especially when it clearly states "non-magnifying" in the description.

Hm, actually, I realized I should be comparing the scopes to the player's regular zoomed eyesight.

So they actually have the following magnifications:

PU scope = 1.39x

ACOG = 1.56x

Red dots = 1x

Iron sights = 0.7x

So basically, red dots are CORRECT, iron sights need to match player's regular eyesight, and the magnified scopes both need 60% greater magnification.

Yeah I don't understand why you'd even want some of these.

I only prefer having the PU for my Mosin because then the rifle isn't blocking part of my target, but barely makes a difference. I don't understand it, and I do hope that they're fixed. I can't imagine it'd be difficult, but I don't know anything so I'll just say "please".

I can't imagine it'd be difficult, but I don't know anything so I'll just say "please".

It's a matter of erasing the current number and typing in the new one. :P

I think the reason they reduced the magnification is because the scope magnification is just the player's eyesight zooming in, like when holding right click. If you can imagine how close the scope would be to your screen with a 3.5 or a 4x magnification. This is the reason the ACOG in arma 2  had the same UI as a 12x rifle scope.

I think the reason they reduced the magnification is because the scope magnification is just the player's eyesight zooming in, like when holding right click. If you can imagine how close the scope would be to your screen with a 3.5 or a 4x magnification. This is the reason the ACOG in arma 2  had the same UI as a 12x rifle scope.

Perhaps...

But then again, ArmA 3 has the same type of three-dimensional rifle scopes, and they have the correct magnification.

6qcjJcg.jpg?1

It could be an oversight, it could be for the reason you state, or it could be a way to balance sniping... whatever it is, I'm not a fan, hopefully it will be corrected soon.

Edited by Gews

try testing this with different FOV's bigger FOV less zoom i think

Correct: http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=1571

However it decreases all zooms, so the scopes will still only be 1.39x or 1.56x compared to regular eyesight.