Player joins server

Player gathers loot

Player travels inland

Player encounter player

Player disconnects

Player finds new server

Player keeps loot gather

Player gets put on closer to the shoreline again if server change

I love persistence, but this farming(server cycling areas of high value) and no punishment for combat logging(server jumping) has got to be fixed.

Things like server changing for loot farming...

Server changing to flank someone...

Server changing to avoid dying...

This really needs to be higher on the priority list.

• Like 2

You are right, and i am sure they are already working on it hard.

We got to be pacient now.

There are much more important things to worry about compared to loot cycling.

Many major bugs including teleportation, zombies clipping through everything, players clipping through buildings, some players totally unable to play, players becoming invulnerable, invisible zombies etc. etc.

Stability and real functionality-breaking bugs are much more important than making sure nobody loot cycles.

• Like 6

I don't think people abuse this too much, there is not much anything to loot right now, if you go to the nwaf you can get a big backpack and a gun there is like only 3 guns in the game right now and food and water is not so hard to find, after you get that you don't really need anything else.

I think anti hack and server stability are top priority atm. But when they start working on gameplay more, I think this will be one of the first things addressed

They shouldn't be moved.

They should be disallowed to join another server for an hour. No more loot farming.

• Like 2

There are much more important things to worry about compared to loot cycling.

Many major bugs including teleportation, zombies clipping through everything, players clipping through buildings, some players totally unable to play, players becoming invulnerable, invisible zombies etc. etc.

Stability and real functionality-breaking bugs are much more important than making sure nobody loot cycles.

People combat logging and loot cycling is incredibly game breaking.  Also I merely said higher on the priority list.

Edited by SKuDD3r

People combat logging and loot cycling is incredibly game breaking.  Also I merely said higher on the priority list.

It should be at the bottom of the priority list, where it belongs - it's not important in the slightest.

It's an alpha, you having fun is not a priority, you're not a player, you're a tester - bugs involving stability and crashes are important, combat logging is not.

• Like 3

Disagree.  Alpha is the time to fix game core mechanics, this is a core mechanic, needs fixed.

You usually bring a game to beta feature complete.  I would consider this to be a feature.  I have tested the game, and this is my feedback.

Edited by SKuDD3r

Disagree.  Alpha is the time to fix game core mechanics, this is a core mechanic, needs fixed.

You usually bring a game to beta feature complete.  I would consider this to be a feature.  I have tested the game, and this is my feedback.

I didn't say it shouldn't be fixed, it's just not important.

Trying to compare it to some of the other actually important issues is just silly.

Just because you've tested and given your feedback doesn't mean you're right.

• Like 2

It's a fucking alpha. You're not here to play a game, you're here to help test. Things like server logging and combat logging are the least of their problems.

• Like 1

Pretty sure I heard rocket said they have something planned for this. Something like every time you switch servers a 30 second timeout is added and it's multiplied each time. Not exactly sure how it's work but they do have something planned. Can't remember where I heard him talking about it though sorry :(

Player joins server

Player gathers loot

Player travels inland

Player encounter player

Player disconnects

Player finds new server

Player keeps loot gather

Player gets put on closer to the shoreline again if server change

I love persistence, but this farming(server cycling areas of high value) and no punishment for combat logging(server jumping) has got to be fixed.

Things like server changing for loot farming...

Server changing to flank someone...

Server changing to avoid dying...

This really needs to be higher on the priority list.

there are more important things to add then fixing combat logging

I think its top of the list

First priority is actually provide enough servers to player ratio. Currently UK Players cannot join a server, as they are all over filled.

1. Server hopping and combat logging - break the game and need dealing with ASAP or the whole servers will strain with all these noobs popping in and out. UNfair to people who want to actually get on and test.

2. Mouse aiming feels awful use Arma 3 aiming

3. Night time changed to Arma 3 lighting saturation (cannot gamma up things that are in shadow)

these are top priorities in my opinion

Don't see how things like zombies going through walls has higher priority than player base abusing a broken core mechanic to loot up fast, or to server hop to flank and kill players.  To me that's pretty broken and annoying.  How can you properly test the game when all you have to do is sit in one area, and jump servers to loot up.

They are all gameplay features....to be added further dwn te line. Right now secure stable servers are what we need. Its like building a house. Need strong foundations :)

• Like 1

You guys should probably read the main developer of the alpha test you are currently testing's posts.

They don't care about anything other than how the game handles shit tons of people at the moment. They are slowly turning on the game features and scripts to see if the game continues running. They have patched twice already in the 3 days the game has been out.

I miss the days when every single person in an alpha test knew what an alpha test was and how to be an alpha tester. Companies shouldn't even call it that anymore it should just be Early Game Access.

Edited by Weedz
  • Like 2

3. Night time changed to Arma 3 lighting saturation (cannot gamma up things that are in shadow)

I think this is in the latest patch or a derivation of it.  I spawned last night, after the data wipe, and ended on the shore near the far left of the map.  I started hiking north into the woods.  It got pitch black so I cranked up my gamma and it hardly changed anything.  Once I cleared woods and hit a field I could see better.  I would say currently gamma offers very little in this patch. 

I have never used my flashlight more in DayZ than last night.  I even came across a huge pool of light I spotted from a distance.  I spent ten min creeping up on it.  It was a naked dead dude with his light laying on next to him.

It was very creepy.  I just ran away..... all I had was a hat and flash light.  lol

Edited by muzzlehead

Because people go find an m4 and some mags, switch servers find an attachment, switch servers find more shit.  Before leaving an area.  Zero integrity.  Player should be LOCKED to a server for a certain amount of time. Each time he picks up loot, locked 30 minutes.  Not adding 30 minutes each time, but reset to 30.    

You guys should probably read the main developer of the alpha test you are currently testing's posts.

They don't care about anything other than how the game handles shit tons of people at the moment. They are slowly turning on the game features and scripts to see if the game continues running. They have patched twice already in the 3 days the game has been out.

I miss the days when every single person in an alpha test knew what an alpha test was and how to be an alpha tester. Companies shouldn't even call it that anymore it should just be Early Game Access.

If it bothers you, then don't post?  I am simply posting my test of the alpha and the concerns I have.  You don't have to agree to it, you also don't have to post and reply because you disagree.  I don't get why every gamer thinks they are the ultimate tester and know it all.  I work for a medical device company testing software, alpha is similar to feature spec, where you must get in all the odds and ends before software acceptance, otherwise new features will get left out and require a deviation and much more testing and validation.  I am simply pointing out the concern, which is the same as how the mod was... which by the end of dayz mod most players were playing on private hives and non official servers because you didn't have to deal with this.

Edited by SKuDD3r

They should be disallowed to join another server for an hour. No more loot farming.

A lock-out timer still allows for loot farming, it just would take longer. I don't really like the idea of a lock-out timer.

The only viable solutions that I've seen (through long debate) are as follows (in order of my personal preference)...

1. Lock the characters down to the server. No more persistent characters. It undercuts far too many systems to be further accommodated/worked around.

2. Upon switching servers, have all gear (or certain high-value gear) disappear entirely. Stats (such as kills, blood, etc.) are persistent.

3. Upon switching servers, the player's position is reset to the coast. Every time.

4. Make tents (whenever storage is implemented) disappear on a server swap.

The only problems I see are servers which fall out of favor and/or become outdated. The former would be less likely i everyone was forced to play on one server at a time. The latter seems to be a non-issue with the ease of updating to a new version of the game.

In my opinion, having persistent characters completely cheapens major systems of the game. Including loot, any possible construction/storage mechanic, and vehicles. Likewise, it cheapens the experience in combat where one constantly is unsure of what happened (i.e. Did that player combat-log? Did I get killed because he server hopped? Hacks? Lag? Bug?)

Granted, it's Alpha and I don't foresee this problem being addressed anytime soon. But it will have to be addressed one way or the other.

IMO to combat server hopping a system to prevent this should be implemented. It could be as simple as this:

-player joins server, clock starts ticking, server hopping attribute is set to 1

-if a player quits and joins a different server within 15 minutes his server hopping attribute adds +1

-if attribute >3 then the player will get a 30 minute ban

-server hopping attribute decrease 1 per 30 minutes

Such a system would still allow people to switch servers to meet up with friends but would prevent the silly looting mechanics we see with unrestricted server hopping.

Edited by ParaB
  • Like 2

Combat logging and server farming are definitely problems that should be address before beta release (which is far far down the line).  THis is also something that can be tacked on such as log out delay timers and cool down timers between servers.  For now the focus seems to be (and rightly so) server performance/security and core gameplay mechanics such as energy levels (eating, drinking, blood) or player world interactions. 

This has been a on going issue since the release of the mod and im sure will be addressed once the foundation of the game is solidified.